Question Right Channel on Turntable often cutting off.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

It's getting a bit hard to follow what you have / haven't done as part of your elimination process.
Perhaps you can confirm:
Have you tried a DIFFERENT twin signal lead between the TT and preamp input?
If not, you need to.

It's getting a bit hard to follow what you have / haven't done as part of your elimination process.
Perhaps you can confirm:
If not, you need to.
I still think he needs to try a different preamp. If, as he says, switching preamp off and on cures the problem......

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Perhaps you can confirm:
If not, you need to.
I can't replace them or switch them. They are mounted directly to the tonearm.

Gray

I still think he needs to try a different preamp. If, as he says, switching preamp off and on cures the problem......
...yet switching the preamp's inputs?? switched the problem to the other channel???
Wish I could get hold of it (not practical now, even if he lived in the same town of course).
I reckon he's fast approaching the point where he should get the lot back to the dealer whilst still under guarantee - last resort option though.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
...yet switching the preamp's inputs?? switched the problem to the other channel???
Wish I could get hold of it (not practical now, even if he lived in the same town of course).
I reckon he's fast approaching the point where he should get the lot back to the dealer whilst still under guarantee - last resort option though.
yes switching RCA inputs on preamp the problem is in other channel

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I can't replace them or switch them. They are mounted directly to the tonearm.
Now this might be very relevant.
My RB300 arm has fixed signal leads and one channel became intermittent where the cable entered the moulded plug (despite no mistreatment from me, but due to thin and inferior cable).
When I looked at pictures of the RP8, I saw no sign of a captive lead. Because of this (and the the high price of the RP8) I had assumed that it had RCA sockets and no fixed signal lead.
I would hope that your cable isn't as thin as mine was....but it might explain a lot.

Is it possible for you to show us a picture of the lead and its plugs?

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
May be coincidental but I don't see how switching a preamp off and on again is going to cure a cable fault.
Sure, but when unplugging cable and plug them back problem disappear for while. Weird really, I tried disassemble cartridge for example, clean contacts etc. Even change stylus force, it helps for 3 weeks, but problems comes back.
I was convinced due switching RCA cables the problem is in right channel on turntable cables. When i turn off and turn on preamp i'm not sure at all.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Now this might be very relevant.
My RB300 arm has fixed signal leads and one channel became intermittent where the cable entered the moulded plug (despite no mistreatment from me, but due to thin and inferior cable).
When I looked at pictures of the RP8, I saw no sign of a captive lead. Because of this (and the the high price of the RP8) I had assumed that it had RCA sockets and no fixed signal lead.
I would hope that your cable isn't as thin as mine was....but it might explain a lot.

Is it possible for you to show us a picture of the lead and its plugs?

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_162008.jpg
    IMG_20201014_162008.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201014_162050.jpg
    IMG_20201014_162050.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 9

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Time to take the lot back to the dealer for an extended check.
If it is a cable fault they will need replacing and that is not something you should have to do yourself
I don't believe they find that is something wrong, even if i describe the problem, may not reveal itself. I have listening session every day and issue occur after 10, 14 days. So basically, i'm screwed.

Gray

Well done with the pics.
Yours is indeed a much more durable-looking cable than on my Rega arm - so not as likely to be intermittent (but that doesn't mean it isn't!).
If it is, it could be that a simple repair at the RCA plug end is all that's required.
Even if you're handy with a soldering iron and capable of rectifying it yourself though, as previously discussed, it's not your responsibility, while still under guarantee, to rectify faults (and you could be deemed to have invalidated what guarantee you had left).

In view of the amount you spent - and not least the fact that the dealer refused to loan you a preamp (to trace a problem that he should have been sorting!) it must be time to get the lot back and use him for your guarantee repair.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Well done with the pics.
Yours is indeed a much more durable-looking cable than on my Rega arm - so not as likely to be intermittent (but that doesn't mean it isn't!).
If it is, it could be that a simple repair at the RCA plug end is all that's required.
Even if you're handy with a soldering iron and capable of rectifying it yourself though, as previously discussed, it's not your responsibility, while still under guarantee, to rectify faults (and you could be deemed to have invalidated what guarantee you had left).

In view of the amount you spent - and not least the fact that the dealer refused to loan you a preamp (to trace a problem that he should have been sorting!) it must be time to get the lot back and use him for your guarantee repair.
Well it could be faulty wiring in tonearm, but i doubt that, because turning off and on preamp, problem disappear. If is preamp related, i have plenty time until guarantee expired. If is turntable problem, wel i have two months before expiration. So i try different cartridge without preamp.

DCarmi

If swapping the RCAs round causes the problem to switch to the other channel you have isolated the problem to the TT or am I being particularly dim?

Swapping to MM will at least confirm the tonearm wiring is OK, in which case the MC is the likely source of the problem.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
If swapping the RCAs round causes the problem to switch to the other channel you have isolated the problem to the TT or am I being particularly dim?

Swapping to MM will at least confirm the tonearm wiring is OK, in which case the MC is the likely source of the problem.
I've done that, problem move to left channel. Logic says yes it's right RCA channel, but when powering preamp of and on again problem disappear for while. I don't believe it's MC cartridge problem related.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts