Question Right Channel on Turntable often cutting off.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi Guys, Recently i have problem with my Rega Planar 8. No Audio on Right channel. After reattaching RCA from turntable to phono preamp, everything works properly (after 2 tryouts) then next day or day after same issue. I must reattaching cables again for both channels working properly. i've tried reattached wires on cartridge, same issues. Swapping channels on preamp inputs left channel -no sound. Then swapping again everything works properly. Phono preamp issues? Issues happening after turning on. Never during listening session. Any advice guys?

Hi Guys, Recently i have problem with my Rega Planar 8. No Audio on Right channel. After reattaching RCA from turntable to phono preamp, everything works properly (after 2 tryouts) then next day or day after same issue. I must reattaching cables again for both channels working properly. i've tried reattached wires on cartridge, same issues. Swapping channels on preamp inputs left channel -no sound. Then swapping again everything works properly. Phono preamp issues? Issues happening after turning on. Never during listening session. Any advice guys?
If it works at all I would say wiring is fine. The cartridge is transmitting a signal on both channels it would seem and there is no chance this is suddenly going to stop, therefore culprit is preamp.
Can you borrow another to check?

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
If it works at all I would say wiring is fine. The cartridge is transmitting a signal on both channels it would seem and there is no chance this is suddenly going to stop, therefore culprit is preamp.
Can you borrow another to check?
Unfortunately no, maybe trying install my old MM cartridge and plug into amp inputs.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
So you have a moving coil fitted do you?
Installing the MM will not rule out any issues with MC cartridge but I doubt that is the culprit but it will take phono preamp out of the equation so worth a try.
Yes MC cartridge is fitted, i wanna rule out possibility wrong RCA cable from turntable.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Surely if a cable fault it wouldn't work at all, unless it's a bad connection but then switching the cables left/ right would sort that.
Done that, swap cables, everything was fine before yesterday, connection on right was deaf. After reconnect cables all channels work. Its a pain :-(

Gray

With all cables connected and continuous sound on both channels, see if you can do something physical to cause the problem.
For example:
Hold the cables about an inch from the plugs and do some (gentle) side-to-side wiggle.
Also, take hold of the plugs themselves (whilst in the sockets) and apply some (slight) lateral forces.
Any poor connection within the plug or dry solder joint on the socket might show itself.
I make the above suggestion based on you reporting that the fault seems to right itself after reconnection??

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
With all cables connected and continuous sound on both channels, see if you can do something physical to cause the problem.
For example:
Hold the cables about an inch from the plugs and do some (gentle) side-to-side wiggle.
Also, take hold of the plugs themselves (whilst in the sockets) and apply some (slight) lateral forces.
Any poor connection within the plug or dry solder joint on the socket might show itself.
I make the above suggestion based on you reporting that the fault seems to right itself after reconnection??
Thanks for advice i'll try it. Yes everything is fine after reconnection. I have listening session right now and right channel goes weaker, i'm reconnecting cables and all is just fine.

Reactions: Gray

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
I understand. I was simply thinking if you find a fault for repairs under warranty you're going to have to demonstrate to them that there is a fault.
I think this is a weird issue, today is listening session without issues. Generally the problem reveal every 3rd day or session, really strange. In service they try it once and find nothing i believe. my hopes are, the issue get worse enough and proof will be unquestionable. Few people on forums complains about Rega's buggy issues.

Gray

Yeah it's also Rega, problem is that issue may not reveal in service, i'm very sceptical :(
No more sceptical than I am.
Spent years working in Service depts......no need to tell you that intermittent faults do nobody any favours.
If it comes to it, leave them in no doubt that your symptom is intermittent.

You might want to consider alerting the dealer of your issue without further delay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
No more sceptical than I am.
Spent years working in Service depts......no need to tell you that intermittent faults do nobody any favours.
If it comes to it, leave them in no doubt that your symptom is intermittent.
My only hope mate :)) In case faulty cd player i was able shoot video what is going on (problem was seeing on display) but Turntable is different kind. We'll see.

Gray

My only hope mate :)) In case faulty cd player i was able shoot video what is going on (problem was seeing on display) but Turntable is different kind. We'll see.
No harm in immediately alerting the dealer of your issue. He's likely to offer the return option. You can decide whether to accept - at least it gets registered within the guarantee period.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Not necessarily how it works!
Don't let the guarantee expire. Once it does, he'll be under no obligation to rectify your problem - regardless of what you report now.
I think Rega has lifetime warranty on their products, after 2years they have obligations to repair, sure not for free, but at least something.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
So i've done some testing, switching cables etc. In proper connection Left to Left, Righ to Right, problem is in Right channel. After switching Left to right, Right to Left problem is on Left channel. So i assume is faulty turntable rca right connector. So i try power off phono preamp and turn on back again and problem is gone. So what the hell?

So i've done some testing, switching cables etc. In proper connection Left to Left, Righ to Right, problem is in Right channel. After switching Left to right, Right to Left problem is on Left channel. So i assume is faulty turntable rca right connector. So i try power off phono preamp and turn on back again and problem is gone. So what the hell?
Try a replacement phono preamp?

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
I'm trying figure out what is problem before i send to a service, like you suggest it should be phono preamp, but switching the cables seems to like turntable problem. Dealer wont borrow me another preamp fo testing. Last option is change to MM cartridge (currently is MC installed) and connect to my amp.

Strange is cutting off is never happened during playback, always during switching sides on record or on start listening session.

I'm trying figure out what is problem before i send to a service, like you suggest it should be phono preamp, but switching the cables seems to like turntable problem. Dealer wont borrow me another preamp fo testing. Last option is change to MM cartridge (currently is MC installed) and connect to my amp.

Strange is cutting off is never happened during playback, always during switching sides on record or on start listening session.
So are you saying it happens when you switch the turntable off?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts