Returned to HiFi - banana plugs banned in EU!

TazLondon

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Sooooooo, after many years away from HiFi, I've just found out that banana plugs are banned in the EU. The brand new amp and speakers I've just bought, thankfully, were able to accept my banana plugs for the speaker cables after I popped out the blanking pins.

I had some high-quality banana plugs from around 15 years ago so I guess this ban happened more recently?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Wonder if its because the plugs fit pathetic euro mains sockets? The eu should ban all metal pointy things. And bananas. I think amps have had blanking plugs for some time and hopefully will continue

It's very old news. A quick google reveals that this has been around since at least 2008. Basically, the twin banana plug's spacing of 3/4 inch is very close to the 19mm of the continental 220V power outlet, so that it is easy to insert the twin banana plug into the power socket. Since amps also have power leads, the possibility of confusion is quite real.

UK have a different plug socket.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Bare metal terminals on amplifiers are also forbiden IIRC. But bare metal terminals on speakers are not. *scratch_one-s_head*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts