Replacing my current system

funkyblue

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello :)

I am trying to work out my options

I had a Philips FWC577 5-CD Mini Stereo System, with a feature called USB PC Link.
Basically I could connect it to my PC via USB.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-FWC577-5-CD-Stereo-System/dp/B00008Y1AF/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=5336432687-20

It has died and I am unsure what to get to replace it.
I am having difficulty finding devices that connect to the PC easily via USB.

I am considering the NAD D 302 but it is really expensive.
Another option I am considering is a new Video Card with HDMI (ASUS GT630) and Pioneer VSX-323 AV Reciever. http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/98/405/VSX-323-K/page.html

I'm really stumped for more options as so little connects via USB which is what I would prefer.
Does anyone have any further suggestions or advice?

Thanks so much
Scott

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Well you'd struggle to buy anything uglier that's for certain.

Cambridge Audio has some amps with USB input but you don't say what your budget it is and whether or not it's stereo you want or multi-channel.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Easy peasey.

Behringer UCA202 usb dac, approx £25.

Pair of active loudspeakers, prices from a shade over £100 and up. Some of the more expensive ones have USB inputs buit in.

Just give me a budget and I will give some names........ :cheers:

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
There have been quite a few integrated amps with built-in USB DACs to hit the market recently. The NAD being one of them but I believe its amp is a class D which I would not recommend. The digital amps just don't sound right, But that's just my opinion.

funkyblue

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I am looking around 350GBP or $650 Australian Dollars. I am looking at all options. I am happy to use my exisiting speakers.

I tried the Pioneer AV Reciever and the sound is just not as good.

Thanks everyone :)

funkyblue

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
How about this?

Cambridge DacMagic Plus
http://www.deniswhitea2v.com.au/cambridge-dacmagic-plus.html @$422.10 AUD that would be a good price.

Seems to tick all the boxes and I can use the existing speakers or does it need an amplifier?
I'd prefer something that does it all. Still very much open to other options though and willing to spend a bit more if needed :D

Thanks everyone

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
That has no speaker outputs - it's a pre-amplifier. You would need a power amplifier which will have speaker outputs on it..

The Cambridge Audio 351C is £250 and has a USB input. I would not recommend trying to use your old speakers with a new amp as they are designed specifically for that thing you had before and probably die horribly.

Alternatively, look at active speakers which will be more straightforward - you even find some with an optical input which you should be able to get from your PC.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
funkyblue said:
How about this? Cambridge DacMagic Plus http://www.deniswhitea2v.com.au/cambridge-dacmagic-plus.html @$422.10 AUD that would be a good price. Seems to tick all the boxes and I can use the existing speakers or does it need an amplifier? I'd prefer something that does it all. Still very much open to other options though and willing to spend a bit more if needed :D Thanks everyone

Given the UK price, that is excellent value, though it does rather depend on whether you need the functionality, ie multiple inputs, headphone amp etc, etc. If you budget wes A$1000+ then it would make sense.

If you want to go down the 'conventional' route, there are plenty of amplifiers that have digital inputs, you may have to buy a usb > SPDIF converter but they are cheap enough.

At the end of the day it comes down to budget and what is available for what price on the Australian market. Just remember some basics, dacs are cheap, yes better ones do sound better but this is not money well spent at this level, spend it on amplifiers and speakers.

I have a desktop system that comprises a £25 dac (a FiioD3) and a cheap pair of active speakers, the results are excellent and in my view far better than can be obtained from a separate amp and speaker combination. Remember, in a budget amplifier most of the cost is spent on the casework, you save a lot integrating the amp into the speaker.

Try your local music/pro audio shops, see what they have available.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Others are right, if you also need new speakers then you might want to look at a pair of active speakers with built in DAC and AMP.

KEF make a pair, the X300A. They have USB in and sound rather good, very good infact.

they can be had for £599. Which might sound like a lot at first, but it's all you need. Nothing more to buy. Just plug in your laptop or PC.

These are not you average PC speakers either, these are proper HiFi speakers.

Quad 9AS also look interesting, but have not heard them, so can't comment.

funkyblue

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Everyone :)

Look my budget is probably a bit beyond new speakers as well right now.
The KEF speakers are well over $1000AUD.

Cambridge Audio 351A Integrated Amplifier for $539 or the NAD D 3020
Hybrid Digital Amplifier for $629.

Unless there are other simple boxes I can just connect via USB and power my existing speakers.

Anymore further thoughts?

Cheers
Scott

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
If you buy a pair of 'active' speakers this should give you everything you need. These go from around £200 in the UK (Cambridge Audio, Audioengine, Quads as mentioned above etc.).

Many have a USB input and built-in DAC so you can run your PC straight into them. You can then access internet radio, streaming services or your own library on the PC.

If your budget is £350 this would seem to be your only decent option, I think the NAD amp mentioned above is £400, then a minimum of £200 for speakers, so over your budget.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/epoz-aktimate-micro

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Steady funky, no need to panic.......... 8)

The primary issue is that what is available on the UK market is not mirrored in the Australian market, price differentials are different so that value for money judgements are no longer valid.

So, a couple of suggestions. Try your local hi-fi dealer and get him to show you an integrated amp with on board dac, try The Nad D3020 and the Marantz PM6005. Ask him what speakers to try with them. See if he is helpful and makes a good sound, if he does buy the setup you like best.

Be aware that the Marantz has SPDIF digital inputs only, you will need a usb > SPDIF converter, but don't worry they are cheap enough.

If you do not get anywhere try http://www.sounddevices.com.au/products/3476-Eris-E8/

That is a very good price for the Eris 8 and the performance is excellent for the money. Go on line and find a local supplier who can supply you with a decent usb dac, mostly you will be chosing on facilities and if you avoid the very cheapest you will be fine.

Oh, and don't worry, your fellow countryman Al Lemon will be along soon to tell you why I have got it all wrong. However, if he is true to form. he will not offer any practical alternatives.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
If you can stretch another $100 you could go for your home grown Event 20/20 BAS.

These are a large box with a large sound, you're only likely to be able to hear these in a pro audio store, usually on a display shelf so if you could, see if you can home demo a pair?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
If you can stretch another $100 you could go for your home grown Event 20/20 BAS.

These are a large box with a large sound, you're only likely to be able to hear these in a pro audio store, usually on a display shelf so if you could, see if you can home demo a pair?

Fair comment, though I would expect a home grown product like the Event to be priced a little more competitively.

Of course if keeping the costs down is important the Eris5 is pretty good too, not as big and powerful as the other two but I have had these at home and they are my clear choice at their UK price of £220. In fact they run the Adam F5 quite close and they are almost half as much again.

funkyblue

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for more ideas.

I think you wonderful people are forgetting I cannot afford new speakers and an amplifier... :p
Speakers direct to the PC are OK, but I want something I can get a DVD/CD player for eventually as well. I cannot afford new speakers and an amplifier right now. I was happy with my existing sound and just want to replicate that for now.

1. ATM $700+ for the Event 20/20 BAS speakers are just not going to happen. I do not have a bucket of money :) The Marantz PM6005 is also way above budget.
2. The Q Acoustics BT3 Bluetooth Speakers look like a good option, but again I can't expand if needed.
3. The Eris 8 @ $549 will be something I look for in future. Not a bad price. ATM it is all about cost. Replicating what I had at the cheapest price.

Existing Speakers
System 3 way, Bass reflex
Impedance 6 Ω
Woofer 1 x 6.5"
Tweeter 1 x 2" Ferrofluid cooled
Dimensions (w x h x d) 348 x 322 x 245 (mm)
Weight 4.35 kg each

From what I can gather, I'm basically looking at the Cambridge Audio 351A Integrated Amplifier for $539 or the NAD D 3020 Hybrid Digital Amplifier for $629 and using with my existing speakers. by the looks.
I can't really see any other way ATM, unless I go with the BT3.

Thanks everyone.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Just checking Mr funkyblue, you know that the Presonus and Events are active and therefore don't need amplification.

If you wanted to run a CD player in the future you could always buy a cheapish dac, plug the PC in on the USB input, plug the CD in on the coax, then output from the DAC into the speakers.

The Presonus are pretty much bang on your present budget if that is the case?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
Just checking Mr funkyblue, you know that the Presonus and Events are active and therefore don't need amplification.

If you wanted to run a CD player in the future you could always buy a cheapish dac, plug the PC in on the USB input, plug the CD in on the coax, then output from the DAC into the speakers.

The Presonus are pretty much bang on your present budget if that is the case?

Beat me to it skippy........ :cheers:

The Eris5 and Adam F5 are both cheaper too if money is really tight. Just add a Behringer UCA202 dac and you have a fully working system that is well in budget. At some point down the line a more flexible dac/preamp can be added to handle other inputs, it, the UCA202 is only £25 (UK) so you are not throwing a lot of money away if you need to replace it.

At this price level it is all about compromise, the compromises here are in flexibility and branding, the Eris5 dac combo may not look like much, it is essentially bling free but performance is way better than a cheap amplifier into a somewhat indeterminate pair of speakers.

Still, it's your money and therefore your choice.

funkyblue

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
For shits and giggles, I have purchased the cheapest amp with reasonable reviews.

I purchased an:

1 x Lepai 20W TA2020A+ 2CH Sound Speaker Power HIFI Stereo Amplifier for $16.71
1 x Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 USB-Audio Interface Adapter for $28.99
1 x AU 12V 2A Power Supply Charger Transformer Adapter for $5.29
1 x 2m Pure OFC 2 Phonos RCA To 2 X Phono Cable Lead Gold for $8.01
TOTAL of $59 bucks

It actually sounds good with my speakers and almost as good as the Phillips :D
It's not a permanent solution. But I am still surprised how good a $59 setup sounds though.
I have decided to get the NAD 302 and 2 sets of Eris 8's. That sounds even better.

Thanks everyone for their advice :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts