Replacing a Sony 1200ES with an HDMI audio equivalent (cheaply!)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Wondering if you folk could help me with a receiver choice.

I currently have a Sony DA1200ES, which does me very well apart from one thing - it can only decode SPDIF audio, not HDMI. It does take HDMI, but just as passthrough. I run my audio from the PC, and since I now have a fair bit of 24/96 audio and some multichannel stuff as well as an HDMI jack out for audio, I'm keen to get a receiver that'll accept that.

I really like my 1200ES, though, and would want to get one similar, preferably the same make. I'm also a bit skint. I basically want the next model up, or next most recent, and to save money would probably be looking at buying second hand. I know the 1200ES isn't the best receiver in the world but I do like its audio quality, and would be most anxious to keep or improve that rather than get a host of extra features (except of course HDMI audio).

What would you recommend?

Many thanks,

Kit :)

A

Anonymous

How about the Sony strdh810 its a what hifi 5* rated machine and it's currently available at Richer Sounds Vip price £229.99

http://www.richersounds.com/viplatestdeals

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. I think I'd rather have 7.1 output and a little more power than things I won't use like 3D and S-AIR though. Is there perhaps a slightly better, older model you'd recommend I might pick up secondhand?

Many thanks,

A

Anonymous

Wondering about a 2nd hand 2400ES but have heard sound quality isn't up to much?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, I'll have a listen to it. I've also managed to find good prices for both a 3500es and a 2400es - which would you recommend of those two?

Cheers

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
I asked nearly this exact question yesterday!

Anyhoo, I picked up the STR-DA3500ES for 300 quid from Richer Sounds yesterday, and it's a *MAHOOSIVE* difference. Not only does it decode HD audio from the HDMI (I was using the analog directs in the 1200ES), but it has four HDMI inputs, so I can now direct Blu-Ray, Sky+ and the Mac Mini all through the reciever. Not only this, but it upscales the Wii and outputs that through the HDMI out to the telly too. One single cable up to the telly. Happy days!

The actual sound output seems a significant step up too. And plenty of bass on my system.

In summary: Chuffed.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS