Replacement stylus or cartridge for 2004 RP3

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
What are the options in replacing the stylus & cartridge that came as standard back in 2004 on a Rega Planar 3? I'm looking to either replace or perhaps a mild upgrade of the original unmarked red cartridge. It is connected to a Cambridge A5 and some ancient ARC 050 with added crossovers.

What are the options in replacing the stylus & cartridge that came as standard back in 2004 on a Rega Planar 3? I'm looking to either replace or perhaps a mild upgrade of the original unmarked red cartridge. It is connected to a Cambridge A5 and some ancient ARC 050 with added crossovers.
Any current Rega cartridge will fit it so depends on your budget.
Not too sure you have the original fitted as it was normally fitted with a Rega R100
Does your stylus look like this?
1671962063279.png

Last edited:

ThreeTuns

Oct 29, 2022
Visit site
Any current Rega cartridge will fit it so depends on your budget.
Not too sure you have the original fitted as it was normally fitted with a Rega R100
Does your stylus look like this?
View attachment 4199
It's definitely not one like that. Here is a pic (excuse the dust!)I think it is a Rega Bias 2 which is no longer available. Is the Rega Elys 2 a replacement for the Bias? I assume the Rega Carbon would be step down as ifs fitted to the RP1. I have seen some criticisms of the next cartridge up, the Elys 2. Would like to keep under £150 and ideally not start messing about with spacers etc

Attachments

• image_50361601.JPG
    image_50361601.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It's definitely not one like that. Here is a pic (excuse the dust!)I think it is a Rega Bias 2 which is no longer available. Is the Rega Elys 2 a replacement for the Bias? I assume the Rega Carbon would be step down as ifs fitted to the RP1. I have seen some criticisms of the next cartridge up, the Elys 2. Would like to keep under £150 and ideally not start messing about with spacers etc
You're correct with the cartridge and yes the Elys 2 would be a good replacement if you need to stick with Rega cartridges.
VTA can be adjusted using an adjustable collar and lock nut rather than shims on that turntable, and it's well worth doing.

WayneKerr

View attachment 4201 I have just been in touch with someone that makes bespoke turntables using Rega parts mine actually and he said that it is not necessary to add shims to fit a VM95 ML cartridge to Planar 3 as it doesn't effect the VTA on that turntable so much that it needs adjusting.
I do not not dispute what your colleague says, it may well fit. I read somewhere that all Rega carts are 16mm tall, most other brands are around 18mm tall, your particular AT is 17.2mm. I can't understand Rega as they seem to buck the trend regarding earthing and carts of most manufacturers, especially when you consider that their carts are AT based. The only reason I can see why they do this is to hold owners captive where only their own products will give the best performance without the need for extra expense such as shimming.

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

I do not not dispute what your colleague says, it may well fit. I read somewhere that all Rega carts are 16mm tall, most other brands are around 18mm tall, your particular AT is 17.2mm. I can't understand Rega as they seem to buck the trend regarding earthing and carts of most manufacturers, especially when you consider that their carts are AT based. The only reason I can see why they do this is to hold owners captive where only their own products will give the best performance without the need for extra expense such as shimming.
Agreed my Rega arm has no shims on it and the previous owner I bought it second hand had a larger MC cartridge on it even bigger than the AT and I made no adjustments whatsoever as you know a change of mat thinner or thicker can compensate for any change in VTA as long as it not too much.

View attachment 4201 I have just been in touch with someone that makes bespoke turntables using Rega parts mine actually and he said that it is not necessary to add shims to fit a VM95 ML cartridge to Planar 3 as it doesn't effect the VTA on that turntable so much that it needs adjusting.
your chap is wrong in my opinion. Correct VTA is vital especially with more expensive cartridges, perhaps not with cheap elliptical ones, I admit.
The idea that VTA doesn't matter comes from Mr.Gandy himself unfortunately.
When you pay good money for an expensive cartridge you should not dismiss any factor that will enable you to get said cartridge producing it's best..

Agreed my Rega arm has no shims on it and the previous owner I bought it second hand had a larger MC cartridge on it even bigger than the AT and I made no adjustments whatsoever as you know a change of mat thinner or thicker can compensate for any change in VTA as long as it not too much.
You can use the mat approach but that doesn't make the whole package sound it's best.
Most good replacement mats are thicker than what is originally fitted and this isn't what yiu want when fitting a different cartridge.
Ultimately it's down to the OPs hearing.

Last edited:
Not all Rega cartridges are AT based.
As you say many would consider the small difference in height to be acceptable and with a cheap cartridge you aren't likely to notice any difference, especially with likely associated equipment.
That said the original Planar 3 with RB300 tonearm will take a massive upgrade on the cartridge front.
I know I had one for many a year using a Denon DL103R.....and that needed a VTA adjuster.

Reactions: WayneKerr

camcroft

Not all Rega cartridges are AT based.
As you say many would consider the small difference in height to be acceptable and with a cheap cartridge you aren't likely to notice any difference, especially with likely associated equipment.
That said the original Planar 3 with RB300 tonearm will take a massive upgrade on the cartridge front.
I know I had one for many a year using a Denon DL103R.....and that needed a VTA adjuster.
I am using the RB303 arm and the chap is basing his opinion on.

SteveR750

your chap is wrong in my opinion. Correct VTA is vital especially with more expensive cartridges, perhaps not with cheap elliptical ones, I admit.
The idea that VTA doesn't matter comes from Mr.Gandy himself unfortunately.
When you pay good money for an expensive cartridge you should not dismiss any factor that will enable you to get said cartridge producing it's best..
I'll bet that most folk wouldn't be able to better +/-1mm at the stylus using a VTA adjuster on the tonearm. The concensus of the Internet users of the VM95ML is it's less sensitive to VTA than most cartridges. Azimuth is another story, that's where the effort needs to be.

Reactions: camcroft

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I'll bet that most folk wouldn't be able to better +/-1mm at the stylus using a VTA adjuster on the tonearm. The concensus of the Internet users of the VM95ML is it's less sensitive to VTA than most cartridges. Azimuth is another story, that's where the effort needs to be.
i opted for an ortofon blue m and added a shim to my rega planer 3 and all good

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts