Best cartridge upgrade for Rega RP3?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Rega RP3 with the factory-fitted Elys 2 cartridge, which has given me much joy over the past 18 months. However, it's coming time to replace the cartridge, and I'd like to upgrade it to see how much I can improve the listening experience from my system. The obvious upgrade is of course the Rega Exact, but I've been led to believe that I can do better.

A lot of comments on this forum make me think that Nagaoka might be my best bet, but I'd like to tell you what I'm looking (or rather, listening) for, and give you all chance to tell me what you think would be the best cartridge for me, and why.

My system (RP3 -> Brio-R -> Monitor Audio Silver RX6) is just on the acceptable side of being too exciting - possible a result of running 4-ohm speakers, or possibly because they are nearer to the wall than is ideal). So I don't want a cartridge that is going to offer more boom and bang.

Really I want something which is fairly neutral and detailed, giving lots of clarity and helping each instrument sing out. But I don't want it to clinically reproduce the recording with all its mastering oddities and pressing mishaps - it's the music I want to come through in all its detail. I guess this is what people refer to as 'musicality'. And if it can be forgiving of clicks and pops, all the better!

The options I've identified so far, from comments here and searching dealers' listings and reviews, are:

Rega Exact - £255
Nagaoka MP-200 - £279 (stylus £169)
Grado Reference Platinum Moving Magnet Phono Cartridge - £238
Benz Micro MC Silver High Output Moving Coil Cartridge - £275
Goldring 2400 Moving Magnet Cartridge - £293 (stylus £243)
Clearaudio Concept MM V2 Cartridge - £150
Clearaudio Aurum Classics Woods V2A MM Cartridge - £160
Dynavector 10 x 5 High Output Moving Coil cartridge - £349
Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III MC Cartridge - £295
Sumiko Blue Point No.2. High Output Moving Coil Cartridge - £199
Ortofon Quintet Red MC Cartridge - £199

I'd love to hear which of these - or another cartridge not in the list - you think would be my best bet and, most importantly, why you think it's the best. I think all the MC carts in there are high-output, so I wouldn't need a separate phono stage. Obviously I'm attracted to cartridges (such as Nagaoka and Goldring) for which replacement styli can be bought, as that will work out cheaper in the long run. Some of those more expensive ones such as the Dynavector and Sumiko EVO III I could only contemplate if it's possible to replace the stylus (or get a new stylus inserted by a dealer) to reduce the price when replacing it in future. If you know that this is possible with any of the other carts you'd recommend, then please mention this.

I've never had chance to listen to any of these, so would value detailed comments on what makes each really good (or not so good). And if you think any of them are too good for my setup, please say.

There's a possibility, if I can order direct from Japan, that I could afford a Nagaoka MP-300 or even MP-500. Would this be worthwhile, or would it be pointless putting such a good a cartridge on my setup?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Others are far more knowledgable than me about cartridges, so I won't offer an opinion on which would be best for you, but if you do go for a Nagaoka MP-200, you can get it cheaper on eBay.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Running the risk of reading like a broken record ... Ortofon do tread the middle path of the spectrum. I like 'em.

The Shure M97XE could be another cheaper option that may well please your musical taste. It ideally needs a phono amp with adjustable loading to correct a slight treble dip compared with the rest of the frequency range. There are some good needles available for it should you wish to upgrade a worn one.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Nagaok MP200 IMO one of the best MM under £350

Massive step up over the Elys 2 / Exact

Brilliant cart - I use mine as a spare now.

The Dyn is very forward IMO - may be calm it down LF wise

Honestly the Nag is a no brainer.

I would not hesitate with the MP300 / MP500 either!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
My favourite was the Goldring 1042. Now £285. (Stylus £185).

I used it for 11 years (with two changes of stylus) on a Rega Planar 3.

A real classic.

Can't agree more, i've lived with a 1012gx for one year, just to be replaced with a Goldring Elite MC cart.

The 1042gx has more bass definition and a more open soundstage, compared with the 1012gx.

TannyToft

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that I upgraded to the Dynavector and that I am extremely happy with this move from the Elys2. The noise floor dropped significantly and to my ears the sound quality was improved- it appeared less muddled with a very clear mid-range. I don't find it forward but this is proably balanced by my warm PM66 KI sig amp.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
TannyToft said:
I have to say that I upgraded to the Dynavector and that I am extremely happy with this move from the Elys2. The noise floor dropped significantly and to my ears the sound quality was improved- it appeared less muddled with a very clear mid-range. I don't find it forward but this is proably balanced by my warm PM66 KI sig amp.

Nice balance then PM66 Ki Sig cracking amp

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I've have only now read your whole post. What you are describing is essentially AT440MLa. Great cart. And if you ever want to upgrade your front end - just upgrade the deck (or PSU) or arm. AT440MLa is easily the last cart one would ever need. But that's just my opinion.

thescarletpronster said:
Really I want something which is fairly neutral and detailed, giving lots of clarity and helping each instrument sing out.

AT440MLa

thescarletpronster said:
But I don't want it to clinically reproduce the recording with all its mastering oddities and pressing mishaps - it's the music I want to come through in all its detail.

AT440MLa

thescarletpronster said:
I guess this is what people refer to as 'musicality'.

AT440MLa

thescarletpronster said:
And if it can be forgiving of clicks and pops, all the better!

You've guessed it by now - AT440MLa

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again, everyone. A few recommendations for different cartridges, I'm not sure overall that's helped me decide in one direction! The AT440MLa review from nima interested me, but it's in the £150 bracket, and I'd hope I could do better on this TT by spending a bit more. I see there's a AT150MLX at £275 but it would be a real punt as I know next to nothing about AT carts and I wouldn't be able to audition it.

I think, given the number of people I've read raving about Nagaoka, including for Rega TTs, that I'm going to go for one of these as it sounds as though I can't go wrong with them. The descriptions of their performance and tone sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

The question is, should I go for the MP-200, or would I get appreciable benefit from the MP-300 or even MP-500 on my RP3? What do you think, would it be worth spending extra or would my TT just not be able to get the best out of those more expensive carts?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
drop me an email fella

steve DOT brockelsby AT gmal DOT COM

regarding Nagaoka carts

Also the RB303 will easily take an MP500 - lovely cart - email me fella

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
My favourite was the Goldring 1042. Now £285. (Stylus £185).

I used it for 11 years (with two changes of stylus) on a Rega Planar 3.

A real classic.

Would I need the spacers for the Goldring cartridges (height 16 mm) on Rega RP3?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well that is a matter of opinion, without a spacer will mean your arm will slightly arse down, this in theory will affect the presentation

You need your arm level, a 2mm spacer will rectify this

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BigBern, you very kindly said you'd help with me Japanese if I decided to import one of these. I'd definitely like to take you up on that, how should I contact you?

Have you got a link to the page you want translated?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Bern, I just wanted to say thanks for your reply and offer, and sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I just haven't had chance to think about this yet. I'll try to respond properly in the next few days.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Have you been out of the country or something? That's got to be a new world record for the slowest response to a question without actually answering it. *biggrin*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Unforuntately not, just ill and so unable to think properly about anything that needs thinking about, so I've only been posting what I've been listening to. Hope you haven't been offended by my silence after your kind offer. I'll make a decision as soon as I can and then ask for your help again.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Unforuntately not, just ill and so unable to think properly about anything that needs thinking about, so I've only been posting what I've been listening to. Hope you haven't been offended by my silence after your kind offer. I'll make a decision as soon as I can and then ask for your help again.

Well, I hope you're better now. You've definitely not offended me, to be honest, I'd forgotten all about it. *smile*

Ask whenever you're ready.

Wuss

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
+1 for the Nagaoka. I use the MP500
regular_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts