Reluctant requirement for AV amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After 5 years without a HiFi, I'm back in a position where I can start to rebuild my system. Hopefully my eBay bid for some B&W 602 S3's is a success (otherwise I'll keep stalking for a pair of my favourite speakers). After that, things have changed a lot in five years! So it looks like you can't just have a digital input from your DVD player any more? If I want to output stereo sound from my Blu Ray player, I've got to feed the HDMI output to an AV amp into which I can hook up my speakers.

So my question is, what current AV amp will sound as musical as my old Arcam 7r amp?

A

Anonymous

most blu ray players will have phono outputs which can be connected into a stereo amp, so there isnt any need for an av amp if you dont want one

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Suggest you listen to some options in the shops. Lots of a/v receiver choice and value around. My Pioneer sounds great with CM8s/1s, but others consider the Yamahas very musical too.

I output stereo analogue from my BD650 to the receiver's CD analogue inputs (then the Pure Analogue Direct setting on the amp sounds best for me), and also have an HDMI from the BD player into the BD input on the receiver for film and SACD.

I change the input select on the pioneer depending on whether I'm watching a film or listening to stereo.

The Cambridge Audio also has a useful "Pure Audio" button which cuts out any video processing/image etc, for when listening to Stereo or SACD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts