Rega RS1 or others with marantz mcr603

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
After reading the glowing reports about the marantz mcr603 I took the plunge and bought one a couple of weeks ago. Through my dali sensor 1s it sounds fantastic!

Due to unforeseen circumstances I know have the budget to upgrade the speakers to anything up to £1000 say. I would be looking for something with better bass and soundstage/presence than the dalis.

The position of the speakers will not be ideal - on a solid wood sideboard up to 15cm or so from the rear wall so I guess that will rule out certain speakers such as b&w 685s.

Browsing through the forums the rega rs1s seem well regarded and not too fussy about positioning. Another option is perhaps the PMC db1i (or gold) but would they be significantly than the regas when powered by the marantz? Any other recommendations welcome!

Thanks, James

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Not the sideboard. Please, not the sideboard.

Rega RS1s can be wall mounted (despite a rear port). This would be a lot better than placing any speaker on a large, hollow, resonant item of furniture.

Wall brackets or little wall platforms would be far better.

Talk to your Rega dealer about whether Rega still make their own wall brackets for R1/RS1 models .

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Chebby, l'll have a look into wall mounting but may not get approval from the wife for aesthetic reasons!

I was thinking of getting some isolation feet thingys, would they not do the trick?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would honestly not bother with upgrading the speakers if they are going to be 'hobbled' by placing them on a sideboard. (And if wall mounting is not an an option.)

I would suggest selling the lot and getting a B&W A7 or similar. (It has AirPlay and an optical digital input and USB streaming and RJ45 to connect to your wirelss router just like the M-CR603.)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
JC1982 said:
After reading the glowing reports about the marantz mcr603 I took the plunge and bought one a couple of weeks ago. Through my dali sensor 1s it sounds fantastic!

Due to unforeseen circumstances I know have the budget to upgrade the speakers to anything up to £1000 say. I would be looking for something with better bass and soundstage/presence than the dalis.

The position of the speakers will not be ideal - on a solid wood sideboard up to 15cm or so from the rear wall so I guess that will rule out certain speakers such as b&w 685s.

Browsing through the forums the rega rs1s seem well regarded and not too fussy about positioning. Another option is perhaps the PMC db1i (or gold) but would they be significantly than the regas when powered by the marantz? Any other recommendations welcome!

Thanks, James

The B&W 685's are bookshelf shelf speakers with wall brackets and front firing ports, so they should meet your criterea, :)

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Just a brief update - I went for some Rega RS1s in the end after listening to them next to MA RX1s. The RS1s in gloss black really are beautifully finished.

I think they are excellent speakers, very nicely balanced with ample bass for my smallish room - without the bass 'interfering' with the other frequencies. I have them placed on polipods which do a very good job of isolating them from the unit they are placed on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts