Changing marantz pm6010 ki-signature amp and Cambridge audio azur 640T for Marantz MCR603

drajgor2000

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

At the moment I have a marantz pm6010 ki-signature amp hooked up to a pair of monitor audio RS1 speakers and a cambridge audio azur 640T DAB tuner. This is a beautiful sounding system, however does take up too much space. My question is, should I sell the amp and tuner on e-bay and use the money to buy either the Denon Dm39 or marantz MCR603 all in one system and hook up to my RS1s? I am expecting a dip in sound quality, but will it be a drastic one?

Thanks,

Raj

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
drastic is a subjective term, what you might find drastic might not be drastic to someone else and vice versa. If you are looking for something small, I'd atleast suggest going for somethingl like the Rega Brio which takes up little space and is almost the same size as the Marantz, alternatively you can look at something like Naim Uniti Lite.....to me an amp makes all the difference. You can always replace a dab if you have an ipod touch, iphone or ipad by downloading a radio app like Tune in and using an airport express to airplay to the amp. I think a no compromise solution either way you go.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I downsized/de-cluttered from an all Naim seperates system to an M-CR603 just over two years ago.

I am still happy I did.

That doesn't meant it wasn't a compromise in terms of ultimate sound quality, but it does mean I enjoy using the system every single day now. (I got so 'down' about the old seperates system that I sometimes wouldn't use it for weeks at a time and would prefer using a portable radio instead.)

It might be different for you.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
I downsized/de-cluttered from an all Naim seperates system to an M-CR603 just over two years ago.

I am still happy I did.

That doesn't meant it wasn't a compromise in terms of ultimate sound quality, but it does mean I enjoy using the system every single day now. (I got so 'down' about the old seperates system that I sometimes wouldn't use it for weeks at a time and would prefer using a portable radio instead.)

Why did you get down about a Naim system?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
chebby said:

I am still happy I did.

Why did you get down about a Naim system?

Clutter, space, wires, it's looks, bulk etc...

Not just because it was Naim but - primarily - because it was seperates. (CDP, amp, tuner, DAC and even a TT - my last - at one point).

I don't think I will ever go back to seperates. If I ever upgrade it will be to another - better - 'all in one'.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm Chebby on this one. I hate the space, clutter, and multiple remotes that my separates system uses. I'm close to opting for a 603 too and being done with it. I'd love to be able to just fit and forget

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I somewhat agree with an all-in-one!

But to maintain the SQ I have at the moment I would have to look at a Naim or Linn unit, besides I have my TT which would create another box as I would need a phono stage.

I dont mind all my Rega boxes, I think they look cool!

matthewpiano

In some ways I'd also love an all-in-one (plus my turntable, of course). Trouble is it would have to be at least as good as what I have now, and I don't think any of the current sub £500 ones would do the job, very good though they are. There is a real lack of options in the £500-£1k price-range. I'd love Denon to do one which basically put the innards of the PMA720AE and DCD720AE into one box with a version of the DNP720AE which could do gapless or for MArantz to do the same with the PM6004/CD6004 and a network player.

Between those and the Naim stuff, I'd also like to see Rega come up with something building on the abilities of the Brio-R, Apollo-R and DAC.

My problem is too many conflicting ideas. I also feel the urge to go muti-channel as we are watching lots of movies...

T

the record spot

GMK said:
I'm Chebby on this one. I hate the space, clutter, and multiple remotes that my separates system uses. I'm close to opting for a 603 too and being done with it. I'd love to be able to just fit and forget

Unless you want an integrated CD player in the all-in-one, then the Onkyo already does what the Marantz does GMK. Might be wise to audition side-by-side if you can.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I agree. It would be half the size and just one remote control (which would be nice as it's all now in the main bedroom).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts