Rega RP8 or Roksan Radius 7?

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. I need some help from the community here. Looking to upgrade my turntable, Rega RP40. Which one do you prefer? Rega RP8 with Exact 2 cartridge or the new Roksan Radius 7 with Nima arm and Corus Silver cartridge? Or do you have a better suggestion for similar money? Cheers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Given that you like the Rega sound, and you're used to it, I'd stick with the Rega option, unless you want a drastic tonal balance change with something like the Michell Gyro SE or Clearaudio Concept MC.

Happy_Listener said:
Hi everyone. I need some help from the community here. Looking to upgrade my turntable, Rega RP40. Which one do you prefer? Rega RP8 with Exact 2 cartridge or the new Roksan Radius 7 with Nima arm and Corus Silver cartridge? Or do you have a better suggestion for similar money? Cheers.

Why are you looking to upgrade? What's lacking?

Whilst both turntables you mention appear to have their own merits they are obviously completely different designs. The Roksan doesn't come with any form of dust cover and a cartridge that is, to my mind, much better than the Rega. So it should when you consider the cost difference. I am afraid I have a thing again spending good money on a turntable of Regas quality only to find it fitted with a quite basic cartridge. The tonearm is quite capable of taking a much better cartridge and personally would recommend you to to get a discount by asking the dealer to remove this cartridge.

The Roksan looks, and probably is a more complete turntable, with quite can expensive cartridge and her too I see a problem. The Corus Silver is a modified Goldring 1042 and this modification and re-badging is going to cost you an extra £200.

Again you might as well get one without the cartridge if you can and fit a 1042.

There are many other options around when you are looking at a budget of around £2000.

Myself, I wouldn't buy either of your decks but invest in a Michel Gyrodec instead but it's all down to your own personal taste.

If your RP40 is still basically sound you could just spend the money upgrading this. Stick on a really good tonearm like Audiomods or even better an expensive Origin Live and get a really good cartridge to accompany it and you could end up with something quite interesting.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Al ears,

I'm afraid your advice is based on incorrect information. The Rega RP8 can be supplied without cartridge or with an Exact or Apheta 2 as a package with a significant discount if purchased in either of these configurations.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I knew that I could buy an RP8 without a cartridge. However, I like the Exact 2. I am sure the Apheta 2 is amazing, but personally I am hesitant owning such an expensive cartridge. If I go for the Rega RP8 I'd likley just stick with the Exact 2. While I have Paul's attention I'd like to quickly add that I hope in the future Rega decides to make an MM or MC cartridge that is in-between the cost of the two. Here in the States the Exact is $595 and the Apheta is $1795. Quite a big difference. Like Paul said I could buy the Apheta together with the RP8 at a discount, however I worry about the cost when it's time to replace it. Or if it ever became damged due to an accident. For those reasons the Exact 2 makes the most sense for me.

Here the Roksan Radius 7, Nima, Corus Silver combo would cost me about $500 more. Plus I need to add some for a dustcover. I find the look and design interesting. The arm has VTA adjustment which also makes it a bit easier If I want to cartridge swap.

A couple of you had mentioned the Gyro SE. I have a reason (perhaps a stupid reason) why I didn't add it to my short list. I find the gold-plated brass weights hanging from the bottom of the platter to be distracting when playing records. It just bothers me for some reason ;).

Thanks fo all of your comments so far.

paul darwin said:
Al ears,

I'm afraid your advice is based on incorrect information. The Rega RP8 can be supplied without cartridge or with an Exact or Apheta 2 as a package with a significant discount if purchased in either of these configurations.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Thanks for clarification Paul. It's not what I have seen on various websites so could only go on that. For future reference just what is this 'significant discount' you refer to. Is it with cartridges fitted and you're discounting these or is it also without a cartridge fitted at all? If so what is the cost of one without a cartridge?

Note also I was responding to OP's question and in that he referred to RP8 with Exact 2 like it was his only option, so it's him you should be educating. ;-)

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Happy_Listener,

Be careful what you wish for, we will be launching a couple of new products at the Bristol HiFi Show next month that may indeed be pretty adjacent to what you hoped, can't say any more at this stage .

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Happy_Listener,

Be careful what you wish for, we will be launching a couple of new products at the Bristol HiFi Show next month that may indeed be pretty adjacent to what you hoped, can't say any more at this stage .

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Ooh, you little tease, you *biggrin*

Happy_Listener said:
Al ears, I was/am aware that the RP8 can be bought with the Exact or Apheta cartridge or without a cartridge. Thanks.

Great. In that case I was wondering why you mentioned it only with the Exact and yet you mention the Roksan with a far more expensive cartridge, it might be nice if Paul would give a price for one without a cartridge fitted.

Freddy58 said:
paul darwin said:
Happy_Listener,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Ooh, you little tease, you *biggrin*

'Pretty adjacent' ???

What the heck does that mean.

Besides....

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
A lower cost Rega MC then

Happy listener -

i own a Gyro SE & an RP8 the RP8 sports a Nagaoka MP500 albeit it's a £600 cart the MP200 is a lot cheaper and without being disrespectful wipes the floor with the Exact - these Nags are excellent cartridges and I thoroughly recommend the best Nag you can afford.

the RP8 is a really nice sounding deck.....typical Rega - fast exciting & musical so stick with Rega

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Stevebrock, thanks for your 2 cents. I have heard nothing but good things about Nagaoka. I have been tempted more than once to buy the MP200 for my RP40. Interestingly though, I have a friend in Japan who has both the Exact 2 and the MP500. While he likes the MP500 he told me he prefers the Exact 2. I guess to each their own then. I am sure system matching also plays a roll.

Which turntable do you prefer, RP8 or Gyro SE? What are the differences in the sound?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
i have been suffering with Tinnitus for nearly a year now and I actaully enjoy the RP8 a lot more than what I imagined. The Gyro SE with SME IV is very detailed and has more texture and better imaging - sometimes the images appear outside my listening room window.....it uncany how a deck and arm can do this.

I often swap the decks over and I really should sell 1 but I like them both - You would need to listen to them to decide wether the cost of the Gyro SE SME IV is worth the cost over an RP8 which in my opinion is a very good sounding deck.

The RP8 does bass extremely well too !

Your ears......your money....and obviusly phono stages & cart will always influence proceedings

Happy_Listener said:
A couple of you had mentioned the Gyro SE. I have a reason (perhaps a stupid reason) why I didn't add it to my short list. I find the gold-plated brass weights hanging from the bottom of the platter to be distracting when playing records. It just bothers me for some reason ;).

Thanks fo all of your comments so far.
I gather you can get the Orbe platter, sans weights, if you prefer, as an upgrade to the Gyro.

In the U.K. at least, the Rega TTs with cartridge usually come at a decent reduction versus buying separately, so the resultant pricing may be important.

there are a lot of really good turntables at the sort of money you are talking about.

i would spend some time looking around at reviews etc, and maybe select a few you'd like to see/hear in the flesh.

same with cartridges to be honest.

whatever you do get at this price point should be very good indeed.

there is always the classic LinnSondek to consider too.

and the top end Pro-ject turntables too.

so many choices. I myself went with the Marantz TT15S1. built by clearaudio. supplied with clearaudio cart. a nice piece of kit.

stevebrock said:
sorry but the Orbe platter on a Gyro deadens the sound imo

if you going to put an Orbe platter on a gyro just buy an Orbe

Apparently this is the thoughts of many. Don't both trying to upgrade a Gyro. It is what it is, and I like seeing the dangly weights. If you don't, and have the extra cash, buy the Orbe. Just as long as neither are the SE versions. :)

Failing that an Origin Live Resolution.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
There are so many good turntables in this price range it makes my head spin thinking about them. The Orbe is $6000 here. That's almost 5000 GBP! Out of my range for sure.

I forgot about many turntables now that some of you are bringing up other models. In my price range: Origin Live has got the Aurora mk3 and Calypso. AnalogueWorks. Linn Majik LP12. Audio Note TT-Two. Then there is the Canadian Oracle Paris mkV. Slovokian EAT C-Sharp. VPI and Sota turntables, American. Gold Note from Italy. The German brands, Perpetuum Ebner's new 4040, Acoustic Solid Wood Classic, and Acoustic Signature Wow XL, ClearAudio... Ect.. Ect...

I am partial to British gear and sound style. Plus a British turntable will match the rest of my gear from England. So I can eliminate most of those above. Just thinking out loud :)

I'm still leaning towards the Radius 7 and Rega RP8. The Linn's springs, set-up and adjusting them every so often seems a bit daunting to me. I might be able to add the Origin Live and the Audio Note to my short list. Anyone here have any experince with them? I think the Audio Note might use springs too?

Happy_Listener said:
There are so many good turntables in this price range it makes my head spin thinking about them. The Orbe is $6000 here. That's almost 5000 GBP! Out of my range for sure.

I forgot about many turntables now that some of you are bringing up other models. In my price range: Origin Live has got the Aurora mk3 and Calypso. AnalogueWorks. Linn Majik LP12. Audio Note TT-Two. Then there is the Canadian Oracle Paris mkV. Slovokian EAT C-Sharp. VPI and Sota turntables, American. Gold Note from Italy. The German brands, Perpetuum Ebner's new 4040, Acoustic Solid Wood Classic, and Acoustic Signature Wow XL, ClearAudio... Ect.. Ect...

I am partial to British gear and sound style. Plus a British turntable will match the rest of my gear from England. So I can eliminate most of those above. Just thinking out loud :)

I'm still leaning towards the Radius 7 and Rega RP8. The Linn's springs, set-up and adjusting them every so often seems a bit daunting to me. I might be able to add the Origin Live and the Audio Note to my short list. Anyone here have any experince with them? I think the Audio Note might use springs too?

You are correct about the TT-2 being a suspended chassis design. If you feel this will be too much to deal with then the non-suspended you mention are both good options. Just ensure they are mounted on a suitable stand or wall-shelf.

Soundwise there will not be a lot in it so just budget in the best cartridge you can afford and an acrylic dust cover for the Radius if you get that.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Just to get back to my original post, has anyone here heard the new Roksan Radius 7? Or do you have any experience with the Radius 5? I have a store here that sells Roksan but they don't stock the Radius. Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.

i wish i could help directly with your question. the best i can do is tell you i have a full acrylic turntable which i'm very happy with. it may be a lot of money for the Roksan, but i can't see them getting it wrong.

if it is what you want, aesthetically, then take a punt. if you don't want to risk the whole amount, keep a look out on ebay for a used radius 5 or 5.2

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
We used to have a member here, 'Big Bernard Bresslaw', who had a 5, I think, and I seem to recall he had a lot of problems with the motor (?) Just sayin'
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts