Rega Planar 2

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Currently considering this turntable as an upgrade. It comes with a standard Rega Carbon cartridge. Does this cartridge do the TT justice or would it be advisable to go for something else and if so what would the best options be? Thank you.

Currently considering this turntable as an upgrade. It comes with a standard Rega Carbon cartridge. Does this cartridge do the TT justice or would it be advisable to go for something else and if so what would the best options be? Thank you.
You aren't going to like what I say.....
The turntable is fitted with a bottom of the range cartridge, as are many others, simply so they can sell it as a complete package.
The cartridge is only as good as a £33 cartridge can be.
Does it do the TT justice? Not really.
Sure it makes it functional but the tonearm can take a much better cartridge.
What sort of budget did you have in mind?
Note also that without fitting shims to raise the tonearm height you are going to be slightly restricted on cartridges that will align simply.

Best get a dealer do this when you purchase if you are unfamiliar with the procedure required to set up a new cartridge

Reactions: Dave B

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
You aren't going to like what I say.....
The turntable is fitted with a bottom of the range cartridge, as are many others, simply so they can sell it as a complete package.
The cartridge is only as good as a £33 cartridge can be.
Does it do the TT justice? Not really.
Sure it makes it functional but the tonearm can take a much better cartridge.
What sort of budget did you have in mind?
Note also that without fitting shims to raise the tonearm height you are going to be slightly restricted on cartridges that will align simply.

Best get a dealer do this when you purchase if you are unfamiliar with the procedure required to set up a new cartridge
Thank you, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Pretty much what I expected to hear to be honest. I reckon a £475 TT would justify 100 to 150 on a cartridge with stylus. Would you agree? Definitely would get a dealer to supply and fit when I purchase. Thanks again.

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Pretty much what I expected to hear to be honest. I reckon a £475 TT would justify 100 to 150 on a cartridge with stylus. Would you agree? Definitely would get a dealer to supply and fit when I purchase. Thanks again.
Yes, it will certainly do justice to a cartridge in that price range and more.
If buying from a dealer try to get them to sell you the turntable without the cartridge in the first place, you might get it cheaper

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi! I bought that turntable a few months ago. I replaced the Rega cartridge with an Audio Technica VM95SH. Sounds brilliant. The dealer did the change, no problem. In Finland the price is €199. Good luck

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Hi! I bought that turntable a few months ago. I replaced the Rega cartridge with an Audio Technica VM95SH. Sounds brilliant. The dealer did the change, no problem. In Finland the price is €199. Good luck
Thanks! I am also considering a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo which is a similar price but comes with an Ortofon Red which is a good stylus/cartridge combo I understand.

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Yes, it will certainly do justice to a cartridge in that price range and more.
If buying from a dealer try to get them to sell you the turntable without the cartridge in the first place, you might get it cheaper
How would you rate the Project Carbon Evo in comparison, it comes with an Ortofon Red which I understand is fairly good. Overall value seems better?

How would you rate the Project Carbon Evo in comparison, it comes with an Ortofon Red which I understand is fairly good. Overall value seems better?
The turntable is excellent and I think better overall. However, once again, the cartridge is their most basic and I don't like it. It is perhaps better than the Carbon so, if it was my money the Carbon Evo would be my preferred deck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts