Rega RP40 upgrades (Achromat?)

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I'm back after a long break. I finally made a new purchase after more than a year. I'm replacing my old B&O Beogram 1800 turntable with MMC 3 cartridge with a Rega RP40. I found one left that was still new and it should be here the middle of next week. I'm excited but doubting a little bit that it will be an upgrade to what I am using now? Anyways, I am already thinking about upgrades! Eventually I will upgrade to the Groove Tracer metal subplatter and a new cartridge, perhaps the Exact.

The first small upgrade I want to make is for a Funk Firm Achoromat 3mm. Is anyone out there using one or have tried one with a Rega turntable? Particularly an RP3 or RP40? I am not sure if the 3mm is still too high or not since there is no VTA adjustment on the RB-300 tonearm. Is this 3mm Achromat higher than the felt mat that comes with the Rega? What are your thoughts? Are there any other better mats out there to use?

OR would it be better to skip the Achromat altogether and buy the Achroplat 2 platter or the Groove Tracer Delrin platter instead?

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

P.S. I think after all of the mods I can get this thing to sound better than a stock RP6. Then why did I buy the RP40 I can hear someone asking? Because I got a good deal on it, was going to change the subplatter anyways, cartridge freedom as its cheaper to replace, and I like the look of it.

Also, the RP40 comes with a red belt and individually tuned motor to power supply that the RP6 lacks. The RP6 only has a lacquer plinth and a bonded platter in its favor. I might be changing my platter anyways. Plus, the RP6 platter is thinner on top but no flywheel affect on the RP40's platter. The price made the ultimate decision for me and I'm pretty sure it was the right one.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Steve,

From Rega's promo of the RP40,

"A custom TT-PSU will be included which will be hand tuned to each individual motor before fitting to the deck. (a level of fine tuning only found on the RP8 and previously the Planar 9 turntable). This will maximise the efficiency of the anti-vibration circuit whilst still offering the convenience of electronic speed change."

No mention of the RP6. Where did you read about that?

TRENDING THREADS