Rega rb700 /Avid ingenium issue

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi folks, I have a little problem, I just bagged a rega rb700 from the auction site, in excellent condition by the looks of it, anyway, I went to fit it to the Ingenium turntable, but alas it is not high enough or the platter is too thick....it's 10mm thicker than the rega P5? it was taken from, I have ordered two sets of Rega VT adjustment shims from soundsupport, These will raise the tonearm by 9mm, my question is will that 1mm difference be critical to the setup...and also is there anything else I need to consider. Thanks for any help.

Hi folks, I have a little problem, I just bagged a rega rb700 from the auction site, in excellent condition by the looks of it, anyway, I went to fit it to the Ingenium turntable, but alas it is not high enough or the platter is too thick....it's 10mm thicker than the rega P5? it was taken from, I have ordered two sets of Rega VT adjustment shims from soundsupport, These will raise the tonearm by 9mm, my question is will that 1mm difference be critical to the setup...and also is there anything else I need to consider. Thanks for any help.
Ouch!
Don't know how much you paid for it and what you had fitted before , if anything.
Depending on what cartridge you intend to use the 1mm might not offer a noticeable difference.
What made you go for the Rega arm?
Didn't know the Ingenium took the Rega three point mount as surely it was originally a plug and play deck with a modified Project tonearm?

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi Al, I had and still have the avid's original re-worked / badged rb220 tonearm, I'm going to just swap over my goldring g1042 onto the rb700, that's the plan anyway, the fitting is the same three point fixing method that rega uses, so I thought it'd be pretty much plug and play, just trying to improve the ingenium as and when I can, I thought the rb700 was/is a well regarded arm....the build quality certainly is a step up as is the cabling, that original arms cable looks like the el cheapo stuff you used to get free with electronics in the 80's and 90's.lol.

Hi Al, I had and still have the avid's original re-worked / badged rb220 tonearm, I'm going to just swap over my goldring g1042 onto the rb700, that's the plan anyway, the fitting is the same three point fixing method that rega uses, so I thought it'd be pretty much plug and play, just trying to improve the ingenium as and when I can, I thought the rb700 was/is a well regarded arm....the build quality certainly is a step up as is the cabling, that original arms cable looks like the el cheapo stuff you used to get free with electronics in the 80's and 90's.lol.
Aha! That's me educated. Thought the original arm wasa Pro-ject.
Hopefully you will not have any issues if you can shim this 700 up.
It is supposed to be a step up from what was originally fitted.
Good luck.

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I think the original ingenium was a project arm, I have the Ingenium plug n play...
I'd love to get that upgraded motor and psu box for it from Avid at some point also, but the exuberant price is a bit prohibitive....same price as the whole turntable.

Reactions: Al ears
I think the original ingenium was a project arm, I have the Ingenium plug n play...
I'd love to get that upgraded motor and psu box for it from Avid at some point also, but the exuberant price is a bit prohibitive....same price as the whole turntable.
Indeed, and probably not for much of an improvement either.
Certain turntable manufacturers have a knack for doing this......

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts