Rega Planar 6/Ania

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi all...!

As per my signature, I have the Rega Planar 6with their Ania MC cart.

Reading reviews both before and after purchase, I found that almost all reviewers (including What Hi*Fi?) stated that the P6/Ania requires careful system matching to get the best out of the rig. What no one says is what those requirements actually are!

Does any one actually know what is meant by them?

(It's rather a moot question because my overall system is what it is and I can't really afford to make any major changes...)

Rob :confused:

Hi all...!

As per my signature, I have the Rega Planar 6with their Ania MC cart.

Reading reviews both before and after purchase, I found that almost all reviewers (including What Hi*Fi?) stated that the P6/Ania requires careful system matching to get the best out of the rig. What no one says is what those requirements actually are!

Does any one actually know what is meant by them?

(It's rather a moot question because my overall system is what it is and I can't really afford to make any major changes...)

Rob :confused:
Without reading the reviews and whether or not the implied shortcomings are mentioned I would say that careful system matching means you are going to need a separate MC phono preamp...
Admittedly when reviews state this and then don't actually say why they mentioned it can be a bit of a pain.
If you are happy with your systems sound then be happy, play more music and try not to read too many reviews... :)

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Ahhh but reviews are fun... (to pick apart...) ...

Anyway, My phono preamp is an old (original) Audiolab 8000PPA that I bought back in 1995. It still sounds quite good. Anything really better is going to cost me an arm and both legs! And at the age of 72, I doubt that I'd hear the difference anyway...

Anyway, My phono preamp is an old (original) Audiolab 8000PPA that I bought back in 1995. It still sounds quite good. Anything really better is going to cost me an arm and both legs! And at the age of 72, I doubt that I'd hear the difference anyway...
You may be right there, at our age it's all about trying to hear any difference.... And keeping arms and legs where they belong... :)

Reactions: VES

Does your system sound good to you? If it does there's no reason to think about what the review suggests. Take them with a pinch of salt.

On the 'Cons' of my amp they say it could sound "querulous" with the wrong speakers. Well, after 13 years of owning it and demoed a shed load of different speakers, it's never sounded "querulous" to me.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Does your system sound good to you? If it does there's no reason to think about what the review suggests. Take them with a pinch of salt.

On the 'Cons' of my amp they say it could sound "querulous" with the wrong speakers. Well, after 13 years of owning it and demoed a shed load of different speakers, it's never sounded "querulous" to me.

Sounds like the reviewers play a lot of "word search" games and then bet each other who can fit the most found words into their review. The loser buys lunch etc.

I still haven't read any reviews but assume that, if a source needs careful system matching, it means something like the cartridge is too bright or something along those lines as the turntable itself cannot determine the nature of a system.
That said, looking at WHF said, it appears to be implying the combination is so good the rest of your equipment has to well expensive be up to it and you need to spend loads of cash on a decent phono preamp to appreciate said turntable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts