Question Phono Pre-Amps

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi all...!
I am considering buying a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 to replace my Audiolab 8000PPA pre-amp (original 1990's model) serving my Rega Planar P6 with a Rega Ania MC cartridge.
I'm wondering if the DS2 would actually be an improvement over the Audiolab...
Thoughts anyone?
Thanks,
Rob

Hi all...!
I am considering buying a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 to replace my Audiolab 8000PPA pre-amp (original 1990's model) serving my Rega Planar P6 with a Rega Ania MC cartridge.
I'm wondering if the DS2 would actually be an improvement over the Audiolab...
Thoughts anyone?
Thanks,
Rob
Cannot say I have heard either. It's certainly going to have a different presentation.
These things can be quite subjective so I would advise auditioning if you can.
That said Project do know a thing or two about turntables and associated kit and, if it were me, I would take the Tubebox.

daytona600

Hi-Fi News Verdict
Here the verdict is a fait accompli as I have been using the Tube Box DS2 for over a year as my budget reference phono amp. It was enough that it handles two decks, has two outputs and adjustable loading to match any cartridge likely to cross my path.
Above all, though, is the sublime valve-y sound: it's an absolute knock-out, even proving itself in an uber-high-end £100k system with a £10k MC. This is a killer.

Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 Phono Preamplifier | Hi-Fi News (hifinews.com)

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
The DS2 gets a great write up and depending on budget, would be a great addition.
Although solid state, you might want to have a look at Graham Slee's products. I've used them before and found they generally punched above their weight.
If you could invest more, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend EAT Glo Petit.
I always found it a joy to listen to.

Reactions: nopiano

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
The DS2 gets a great write up and depending on budget, would be a great addition.
Although solid state, you might want to have a look at Graham Slee's products. I've used them before and found they generally punched above their weight.
If you could invest more, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend EAT Glo Petit.
I always found it a joy to listen to.
I'm living in Australia and getting and Graham Slee's middle unit costs about the same here as the DS2 but with added taxes and shipping and it would take something like 2 or 3 months to get here, The EAT unit here is way above my budget. Looks very interesting though.... Sigh....

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Living in OZ you can take advantage of the Graham Slee loaner scheme through which you could trial several of the products within your system for good amount of time. Join the Graham Slee forum to find out what you need to do.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I have a few noob questions about these. How much of a difference do these things make? I would love to get a tube box pre amp if it will make a noticeable difference with my current setup. I'm currently running an Audio technica LP120 with built in preamp going into a basic Sony stereo receiver which also has a built in pre amp. I have some entry level Klipsche bookshelf speakers. My whole system is basically entry level but it still sounds decent. I love the sounds that come from my tube guitar amps and I love that warm tone but I've never heard a tube preamp on a hifi stereo system. I plan on upgrading my entire system eventually but I would love to get this unit now since it's not super expensive.

WayneKerr

I have a few noob questions about these. How much of a difference do these things make? I would love to get a tube box pre amp if it will make a noticeable difference with my current setup. I'm currently running an Audio technica LP120 with built in preamp going into a basic Sony stereo receiver which also has a built in pre amp. I have some entry level Klipsche bookshelf speakers. My whole system is basically entry level but it still sounds decent. I love the sounds that come from my tube guitar amps and I love that warm tone but I've never heard a tube preamp on a hifi stereo system. I plan on upgrading my entire system eventually but I would love to get this unit now since it's not super expensive.
Personally I don't think they make that much difference, maybe my ears are too old to appreciate it. If it's that cheap get one and see what you think, nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

Gray

Personally I don't think they make that much difference
I can imagine quite a few people disagreeing with that.
And I might well have been one of them - before I did that blind test of different phono preamps.
...though very different in price, they were all solid state.
In this case, with valves involved, we would expect a very clear difference....wouldn't we?🤔

WayneKerr

I can imagine quite a few people disagreeing with that.
And I might well have been one of them - before I did that blind test of different phono preamps.
...though very different in price, they were all solid state.
In this case, with valves involved, we would expect a very clear difference....wouldn't we?🤔
I must have missed the bit where it said valves :)

Reactions: Gray

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I currently own the tubebox ds2, I came from a mofi studio phono and have owned trichord dino mkiii with the never connected psu in the past..in my experience the cart makes the biggest difference at these price points and in the future I won't get to hung up on a phono pre amp, but I still want to try the guru (Tom Evans kit) lol...oh and I would also recommend anything from njc audio, I haven't tried the phono amp yet ( I wiil) the last time I put in my order, covid was well in it's absolutely messing with everything stage . and the guy's at njc couldn't promise a unit until things sorted themselves out....
In the meantime the tubebox ds2 is very decent, The valves do only power the pre amp section and do not really have any part in the power stage ( if you want valve power in your phono stage, I'd point you in the direction of icon audio for that at a affordable price...somewhat ) haven't tried a mc cart as yet, but the mofi studio phono is probably the best bang for buck your going to get....IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I have a few more noob questions about this.:) So we know that preamps are everywhere, and they come built into turntables, built into receivers, and solo, but is it possible to have more than one preamp enabled and working simultaneously? If so what does that do to the sound? Is it dangerous? If I wanted to use a standalone phono preamp, but both my TT and my receiver both have preamps, how do I disable the other two? I assume that I would need to plug into one of the line level inputs on my receiver, flip the TT switch to phono and plug the standalone in line between the two... correct?

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I have a few more noob questions about this.:) So we know that preamps are everywhere, and they come built into turntables, built into receivers, and solo, but is it possible to have more than one preamp enabled and working simultaneously? If so what does that do to the sound? Is it dangerous? If I wanted to use a standalone phono preamp, but both my TT and my receiver both have preamps, how do I disable the other two? I assume that I would need to plug into one of the line level inputs on my receiver, flip the TT switch to phono and plug the standalone in line between the two... correct?
Hi...
Firstly, I daresay that your turntable will have two outputs: one that;s amplified and one that is not OR it will have a pre-amp by-pass switch.
Depending on which pre-amp you want to use (and I'd suggest the external one...) run your leads from the non-amplified or by=passed TT outputs to the external pre-amp then from there to one of the general inputs to your main amp. Do NOT connect to the Phono inputs on your main amplifier.
If you want to use the turntable's amplified outputs, then connect these direct to the main amp's general inputs. Again, do NOT connect to the Phono inputs.
If you want to use the main amp's phono pre-amp, then connect the TT's unamplified outputs direct to the main amplifier's Phono input.
Never EVER have two pre-amplifiers working together in-line!
Try all three methods and which sounds the best for you...
Rob

Reactions: spl84
I have a few more noob questions about this.:) So we know that preamps are everywhere, and they come built into turntables, built into receivers, and solo, but is it possible to have more than one preamp enabled and working simultaneously?
No! Obviously it’s possible, but it will equalise twice and amplify twice so it’ll be 100% distortion. Don’t do it!

It won’t catch fire but it’s a bit like asking can I drive my car at maximum revs in reverse. Well, you can…

If I wanted to use a standalone phono preamp, but both my TT and my receiver both have preamps, how do I disable the other two?
The turntable should have a switch to turn it off. On the receiver, use any spare aux or tape input, not the phono input.

I assume that I would need to plug into one of the line level inputs on my receiver, flip the TT switch to phono and plug the standalone in line between the two... correct?
If ‘phono’ on the turntable means requiring a phono stage then that sounds right. You’ll soon hear if you’ve left two phono stages switched on. Begin with volume at minimum just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: spl84 and Al ears

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Just to amplify (fnaagh) what has been written already:

A phono stage does two things: it amplifies the weedy output of a cart to the c. 5V 'line' voltage that pre-amps know and love, and also corrects the RIAA frequency munging that goes into every vinyl that is cut. On creating the master, bass is turned down and treble is turned up. The bass is turned down because swinging from side to side a couple of mill at at a time would generate entertaining stylus slapstick on playback. The treble is turned up so that when it's turned down on playback, hiss and crackle gets subdued along with it.

A phono stage boosts the bass back up (which is why rumble is an important factor in turntables - that gets turned up too) and turns the treble down to give the sound that is a bit nearer to what hit the mics in the studio.

So putting two in series would:

1) yield a mighty output: something that is supposed to amplify 0.5V to 5V is now fed 5V. No thanks, says your various circuitry.
2) assuming that anything survived the apocalypse, would yield something that sounded like you'd added a sub and blown your tweeters.

Reactions: spl84

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts