Rega p5 VS Cyrus Dac X

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
If you had to choose between the two which route would you go. I have lots of CD'S and lots of LP'S. I just bought the 8SE and own a Music Hall 5.1 s.e. which is my weak point. I love vinyl but I love my CD"S to. As of late I have heard that adding a DAC is a improvement just not as big as its price tag. Any views

Cyrus pre xvs with psx, 8se with psx and smartpowers X2 with Proac D28's.

T

the record spot

If you've just bought the 8SE, why not give that some time to work in? Get to know the sound and see if it matches what you're looking for.

As for the vinyl vs. DAC query, it's the same as with all the other formats; a well planned deck-cartridge setup can be an exhilirating experience. LPs are easy to look after, don't really degrade if you're careful with them (I've owned some for over 30 years now and they still sound great) and it's a great way to listen to music.

Whichever way you go is up to you, but if you'd been going down the DAC route, I'd have thought it'd have been better to have done that before adding the 8SE (i.e. use your old player as the transport and then something like a Stello Signature (circa £650).

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I have had my 8SE for about 3 months now and just love it, but since selling my old 8X my dealer will give me back full price for the Music Hall turntable I bought and let me upgrade to the Rega P5. I have quite a stock of LP's and do love the sound but find the cyrus player really beats up on it (Music Hall that is). Music comes first

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't bother with either route, the Music Hall is OEM by Project, it's a good deck. What cart are you using? Also look maybe more at the phono stage.

A

Anonymous

silly:I wouldn't bother with either route, the Music Hall is OEM by Project, it's a good deck. What cart are you using? Also look maybe more at the phono stage.

Normally comes with a Goldring G1012.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
P5 + TT-PSU. (The TT-PSU really does make a difference.)

Ask the dealer to set-up/align your G1012 cartridge body on the P5 and 'sweeten the deal' with a stylus upgrade to a Goldring 1022 level maybe.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
The P5 would have the Rega Exact (yellow) and my Music Hall has the 1022 now but I find it slow sluggish and dark that is why I was looking for a upgrade and im using the Rega phono mini as a pre? That may lye as a weakness, if I was upgrading I would move to the P60 as well. Any ideas what to do here. I find the noise level really bad and have heard a Rega P3 and it blew away my Music Hall, maybe something else is up?

A

Anonymous

I've found the noise level a bit high on Pro-ject turntables, too.

The Rega will be a big step up, especially with that cartridge. I'd be inclined to trial the turntable with your current system before looking to upgrade the phono preamp.

Stereophile has a review of the P3-24 with the exact, which you might find interesting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts