Rega P2 upgrades

Twf

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I've just picked up a 2005 Rega P2 turntable in mint condition from a local monthly house clearance auction. I had no need for it but put a silly bid on commission and to my surprise it was mine for well under £50

Ive owned an LP12 with Lingo, Ekos and various other Linn upgrades for many years now but I've set up the Rega and admire its simplicity and decided to keep it as a second deck, but I already have the urge to upgrade it!

It came fitted with a Grado Black cart which judging by the turntables condition I don't expect has done many hours. I have already ditched the MDF platter for a second hand Planer 3 glass one, any suggestions what to do next? belt? Arm upgrades? - I had an Origin Live RB250 when they first came out on the LP12 and seem to remember it being pretty good.

Twf said:
I've just picked up a 2005 Rega P2 turntable in mint condition from a local monthly house clearance auction. I had no need for it but put a silly bid on commission and to my surprise it was mine for well under £50

Ive owned an LP12 with Lingo, Ekos and various other Linn upgrades for many years now but I've set up the Rega and admire its simplicity and decided to keep it as a second deck, but I already have the urge to upgrade it!

It came fitted with a Grado Black cart which judging by the turntables condition I don't expect has done many hours. I have already ditched the MDF platter for a second hand Planer 3 glass one, any suggestions what to do next? belt? Arm upgrades? - I had an Origin Live RB250 when they first came out on the LP12 and seem to remember it being pretty good.

If the rest of it is original then that's a good buy. Presumably you do mean a Planar 2.

The motor itself can be upgraded and I suggested a new belt.

Which arm is currently fitted, if any?

Twf

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Twf said:

If the rest of it is original then that's a good buy. Presumably you do mean a Planar 2.

The motor itself can be upgraded and I suggested a new belt.

Which arm is currently fitted, if any?

Its not a planer 2, it says P2 on the plinth, seems to have only been produced in mid 2000's. Reading up on the different models it is an updated Planer 2 with a rigidly mounted motor instead of the old elastic band mounting.

The arm is a standard RB250. I think I may just buy a Rb300 end stub and counterweight, white belt and call it a day as it is only a second deck. I had ideas of new sub platters and plinths!

Ah, that one. So motor upgrade will already have been done. RB250 is a good arm and as you say modified counterweighs are available.

I wouldn't worry about any expensive platter upgrades just buy a wall-shelf. The most cost-effective upgrade will be a better cartridge.

TRENDING THREADS