Rega DAC!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have been without a TT for a few days now - I pick up my RP3/Elys 2 tomorrow!

I have been listening to my Apollo R & DAC all day with the addition of a £60 ebay bargain - a Chord Chameleon Plus interconnect between my DAC & Brio R...... I forget how smooth and analouge it sounds! I am now having trouble trying to tell vinyl & CD versions of Kylie - Abbey Road apart. Digital doesnt have to sound digital.

It really does sound fantastic, smooth, detailed and so cohesive and ultimatelty enjoyable!

I have been flirting with the idea of a Unitilite......I am convinved if I went to all in one solution I would be left dissapointed not forgetting out of pocket!

I hope the RP3 lives up to the expectations and rest of my Rega kit!

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I got my Rega DAC last week and have been blown away how it sounds with my Brio-R

Feeling similar to you— when I unpack my turntable from storage I hope it lives up to it—

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
It's a deadly combo, lot of people on here can confirm as well! Would be interested in what cables you use? Lovely taut bass on those B&Ws too!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve

That's you speaking without yor TT, i've donne myself A/B test with the Rega DAC/SBT and the vinyl record of the same album, and...

And nothing compares to the vinyl, that was with 80's and 90's vinyl records.

With some recent vinyl recording only tried with one Diana Krall album and the results were the same! With some more expencive Streamer, or a £1000 CD player the differences are not so audible but the vinyl is always going to win over the digital format.

I've heard the Saturn CD player and RP3 side by side with the same album at my Rega dealer and the vinyl format was mutch better!

Give some break in time to your cartridge like 6/7 albums ( side A and B) time and do your self the same test, and write back with your finding...

Best REGArds

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I see that you've bought a RS vox as well!

You've NEED to change your nick to "REGABOY" or "SteveALLRega" or something like that! ;) 8)

:cheers:

i did not set out to be a Rega fanboy..... Just sort of happened!

But as you know it all works together do well! I'm moving house soon and will have a bigger lounge so RS3 next for fronts RS1 for rears, I am using the pre out on my AV amp for the brio/fronts

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock > I have Chord Crimson Plus and Carnival Silver Screen— I'll admit I've not done much research with the cables and just bought whatever got good reviews at the time.

The Crimson Plus was bought for use with the turntable — it'll be an old What HiFi award winner from about 1999 when that comes out again — a van den Hul forgot-what-it's-called.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I see that you've bought a RS vox as well!

You've NEED to change your nick to "REGABOY" or "SteveALLRega" or something like that! ;) 8)

:cheers:

i did not set out to be a Rega fanboy..... Just sort of happened!

But as you know it all works together do well! I'm moving house soon and will have a bigger lounge so RS3 next for fronts RS1 for rears, I am using the pre out on my AV amp for the brio/fronts

the same as I'm doing with my old Yamaha RX V750 using the pre out with the By pass mode, that way I turn the Brio volume knobe all the way and works as a power amp! I've got more detail on the front speakers that way as well!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
O right I have my Brio at 12 o clock, was wondering why I had to really go high on the volume of my AV amp - is full the recommended setting when in AV mode ?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
O right I have my Brio at 12 o clock, was wondering why I had to really go high on the volume of my AV amp - is full the recommended setting when in AV mode ?

Yes it is, you can check it out in the manual, they recommend that the volume is turn all the way!

But dont forget to press By pass on the face of the amp, myne has it, your should have it as well.

When the move will be completed open your self a thead with pics in " your sistem" forum... ;)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Just one more thing about CD or Flac compared to vinyl, take a close ear of DRUMS, you cam fill the slam of the drums on the vinyl!

Man since December my vinyl collection have grouwn 150 albums, today were more two, brend new albums from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lad (MoFi)

- Yazoo Upstairs at Eric's

- Tear For Fears The Seeds Of Love this one is the fourth time that is playing, it's a wonderfull record and a wonderfull sound quality! I can get enough!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
The Chameleon is really nice, do you have the VEE version? I got one before that off ebay.

Feeling the Rega love out there :)

I am demoing at home Naim CD5i-1 and Naim DVD5 as an alternative source to SBT-Rega Dac and findings so far are that SBT-Rega Dac is about same level as CD5i, showing the same lively character, helped no doubt by the Rega's good Dynamics.

I am finding the DVD5 used as a transport to be very good and more 3 dimensional through the Rega Dac compared to SBT or CD5i.

It is very easy to listen without fatigue, yet with lots of nice detail and NAIM PRAT.

I may well take the plunge as can get for £450 used for the DVD5 and will slot nicely into my TV unit. The DVD performance appears to be quite something from brief look at LOTR last night.

Glad you enjoying kit, just don't go into any hifi stores soon....... Saturn-R Elicit-R LOL

Ambrose

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
A few weeks ago I dem'd Rega Dac, with my Arcam used as transport, and compared it to Nait CD5i-2 and the Naim had more attack and focus over the Rega/Arcam combo.

That would make sense, especially with Arcam serving, and I guess shows a well setup SBT works as a really good transport as well. I would not necessarily have picked the CD5i-1 over the SBT-Rega DAC combo on sound quality, without factoring the added convenience of SBT.

Naim sources have the excitment, drive and foot tapping ability that make the investment in hifi worthwhile for me.

Would love to hear the Naim DAC fed from DVD5 :)

No way that's gonna happen :-(

You had any further thoughts for changes PP?

Ambrose

Ambrose said:
plastic penguin said:
A few weeks ago I dem'd Rega Dac, with my Arcam used as transport, and compared it to Nait CD5i-2 and the Naim had more attack and focus over the Rega/Arcam combo.

That would make sense, especially with Arcam serving, and I guess shows a well setup SBT works as a really good transport as well. I would not necessarily have picked the CD5i-1 over the SBT-Rega DAC combo on sound quality, without factoring the added convenience of SBT.

Naim sources have the excitment, drive and foot tapping ability that make the investment in hifi worthwhile for me.

Ambrose

It's all taking shape, Ambrose, taking a nice ( a little better than a few months ago) rounded shape.

TBH, I heard the Naim when I returned the Rega Dac, and I took my Arcam long to make sure my hearing hadn't gone Pete Tong. As I left the Leema at home I had the comparison via a Naim Nait XS amp. I was very tempted by the CD5i-2, then the old grey matter started to work overtime: If it sounds that good with the 5i then what improvement would be made by purchasing the CD5XS? But then if I'm looking in that region then Rega Saturn looks at a better bet. After filling my brain with that nonsense I went into meltdown and reached for the nearest bottle... that's 'Ice Tea' not alcohol. :help:

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Ambrose said:
plastic penguin said:

Ambrose

It's all taking shape, Ambrose, taking a nice ( a little better than a few months ago) rounded shape.

TBH, I heard the Naim when I returned the Rega Dac, and I took my Arcam long to make sure my hearing hadn't gone Pete Tong. As I left the Leema at home I had the comparison via a Naim Nait XS amp. I was very tempted by the CD5i-2, then the old grey matter started to work overtime: If it sounds that good with the 5i then what improvement would be made by purchasing the CD5XS? But then if I'm looking in that region then Rega Saturn looks at a better bet. After filling my brain with that nonsense I went into meltdown and reached for the nearest bottle... that's 'Ice Tea' not alcohol. :help:

LOL

I expect the CD5i-2 and XS were very nice!! I heard cd5si and XS which ticked alot of boxes (except money box!)

The DVD5 came up by chance and looks like it could be the solution for me, already owning a decent DAC.

Saturns go quite low money on ebay so should be a calculated risk.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
One of the big things I found with my Rega DAC was the feel of the drums — you don't just get the initial thud but the "suck" afterwards.

If that makes sense…

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the input! I'm well happy with my set up below, the digital part of my system really is nice - I just daren't change anything now as I think I've just hit the sweet spot and any changes might upset the apple cart!

I've just got my new RP3/Elys 2 home and set up....wow how much detail!!! I've played one side of Avalon - it sounds amazing I'm gobsmacked!!

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Steve - was that a new or used Chord Chameleon Silver you bought - did it make a difference? I'm currently using Chord Crimson Plus interconnect and have just bought Chord Rumour speaker cables. I just keep missing out on Chameleon.

Also - must agree re REGA - I got REGA DAC last week and it's made a fantastic difference to my set up over the ARCAM RDAC - fantastic. Jealous of your RP3 - might have to wait to xmas for that upgrade!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BluePotato said:
Steve - was that a new or used Chord Chameleon Silver you bought - did it make a difference? I'm currently using Chord Crimson Plus interconnect and have just bought Chord Rumour speaker cables. I just keep missing out on Chameleon.

Also - must agree re REGA - I got REGA DAC last week and it's made a fantastic difference to my set up over the ARCAM RDAC - fantastic. Jealous of your RP3 - might have to wait to xmas for that upgrade!

yes was a used Chaneleon plus with the VEE plugs, £58, it's a definite upgrade over the crimson plus - bit more open with more bass.

The RP3 has exceeded my expectations by hell of a long way - it seems so much more solid than the RP1, absolutely no wobble from the glass platter, when you put a record it reassuring as it feels solid/positive - did have my doubts about the Elys 2 being dull - far from it. More detail and a lot of pops and crackles have disappeared!

god knows how an RP6 sounds if the RP3 sounds this good!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
BluePotato said:

Hi I agree with Steve's comments on the Chameleon and your system is good enough for it!!! I do like the Crimson but the Chameleon is better all round and a little less obvious balance in the treble. + more bass :) Great detailing.

TRENDING THREADS