Rega Brio-R integrated amplifier or Marantz PM 8004 integrated amp??

rtg428

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I need help upgrading my system. I have a Rega P3-24 turntable...Marantz CD 5003 cd player...Energy C-5 floorstanding speakers and a Marantz 1060B integrated amp. Do I upgrade to the Marantz PM 8004 integrated amp or go with the Rega Brio-R integrated amp??? Do I stay with the Marantz cd player or go with the Rega Apollo???? I'm open for suggestions....R.T. Gentry

A

Anonymous

As regards digital source, Rega Apollo is far better than CD5003. There's no comparison at all!

Marantz CD5003 is a nice warm player but it sounds dark on mids and its top end is overmellow and lack resolution. Other fault is its mid-bass which may sound nice at first, but it's actually over-enphasized. Botton end is heavy, but could be tighter and better in timing.

If I had to buy an entry level CD, Marantz CD5003 would be on the top of my preferences, but it cannot challenge players like Rega Apollo or Arcam FMJ CD17

Concerning those amps, I've never heard the new Brio-R. It comes with a stylish new case but by taking a look at internal pictures I figure out it's not a huge step up from the old model despite its extra 200 pounds additional price. If I were you, I'd previously listen to Brio-R before taking it home.

A

Anonymous

Yes an Apollo would certainly be more musically rewarding than the Marantz! We have found that it and the Rotel RCD06SE are amoungst the most involving machines at that price level.

Regards the new Brio R, we have been suitably impressed with it. We found it works equally at home with the Apollo CD and modest speakers as well as more high end gear (We ran it with a well Tempered Amadeus TT, Shahinian Arcs and Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables and the results were impressive from such a little amp).

Another amp worth serious consideration is the Onkyo A-933. This Class D Digital amp has immense control ans sounds remarkable effortless regardless of the music type played.

matthewpiano

I'd like to add the Creek Evolution 2 to your shortlist. Creek get forgotten about all too often but they make some of the best integrated amps you can buy - well built, sensibly designed and with a flowing musicality that sets them apart from quite a bit of the competition.

I haven't yet heard the new Brio R but I would expect it to be well worth an audition. It's predecessor was a talented amp itself, albeit with a slight lack of control at the frequency extremes.

T

the record spot

MMAudioYeovil said:
Another amp worth serious consideration is the Onkyo A-933. This Class D Digital amp has immense control ans sounds remarkable effortless regardless of the music type played.

Interesting to see this amp mentioned - I understand it's a dual mono design inside too and offers a decent power rating as well from memory.

A

Anonymous

Are you keen on class D amps?

They are very detailed on the midrange, but their coldness don't suit my taste. Botton end is also the way I like. I feel a lack of harmonics and warmth. It's a king of dry bass.

the record spot said:
MMAudioYeovil said:

Interesting to see this amp mentioned - I understand it's a dual mono design inside too and offers a decent power rating as well from memory.

A

Anonymous

Rtg428

I like Rega's products a lot but I'm under the impression Rega-R is overpriced now. It has a stylish well buily finish but internal built suppose to be higher grade at the new retail price. Rega-R doesn't employ better electronic components than older Brio models to justify a 200 pounds additional charge.

I think you'll be better off with a Creek Audio Evolution 2 integrated amp. It's rock solid and use some real audiophile parts.

Hi rtg28

How would you describe the performance of your existing system?

What do you generally listen to?

The size of your room is?

Your general listening level?

The cartridge you are using on the P3-24 is?

The interconnect/s and speaker cables are?

Do you feel changing the amp or the cd player will offer you the biggest upgrade? With a change of component what areas of improvement are you looking for and the kind of presentation the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

T

the record spot

Audio Maniac said:
Are you keen on class D amps?

They are very detailed on the midrange, but their coldness don't suit my taste. Botton end is also the way I like. I feel a lack of harmonics and warmth. It's a king of dry bass.

Only so much as Hi Fi World rated the predecessor (the 9555) a couple of years ago. Not heard either, but might get round to it one day. Also contemplating the 8050 receiver from the same company, but not sure if that's Class D offhand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts