Rega 6 Neo TT PSU - record stops playing intermittently

Zaan2020

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I bought a new Rega RP6 with Neo TTPSU power supply from a registered dealer last summer with a new Naim XS 2 amp and a Naim Stageline MM Phono stage feeding into existing Monitor Audio Silver 8's. No mods yet on the RP6 except a dealer installed Nagaoka MP-200 MM cartridge. Previously I had a Project Carbon feeding an Arcam app to the same speakers plugged to a reasonable Gbp 40 6 plug plugboard that then goes to the wall socket. No issues over the last 5 years with the Project/Arcam/Monitor Audio set- up in terms of speaker pops or a turntable that keeps stopping. Having these two issues now. On the speakers, it seems that uplugging the TV/Cable box that's 2 metres apart on a separate wall socket but most likely the same electric circuit has stopped the speakers popping - which was intermittent and only occured with the turntable and not the Rega Apollo cd player - but once started kept on-going - and here it does not seem related to a fridge / microwave / oven kicking in but some cable interference that appears gone when the cable box is unplugged. Its a second cable box (main one in the hall) so have wifi functioning fine in the house at all times and that is not disturbing. On the speaker popping my question is: would I benefit from a dedicated hifi plugboard and lead (so no more than Gbp 500) or is the benefit provided not worth the outlay? Second issue is that the Rega 6 has a tendency to slow down and stop playing - its random, and not that frequent - but frequent enough to have beocome irritating. I know the Rega design principles a little - so I'm worried that the motor is too weak or the stock glass platter is too heavy, since it takes 5 seconds to start moving unaided. ust to experiment I tried the acrylic plinth from the Project Carbon on the Rega and that start moving unaided in 1 second, but I know that the glass plinth is a deliberate heavy design. Giving the platter a spin as it starts and starting the motor at 33, then pushing to 45, then back to 33, helps it warm-up, but to be honest, I feel that I am guessing the root cause of the problem: heavy platter, weak motor, dodgy TTPSU? The RP6 is a nicely designed deck with a wide and deep soundstage so I would like to try and fix the issues here and enjoy my listening. Advice appreciated. Thanks.

daytona600

No issues over the last 5 years with the Project
no problems with project for 5years why not buy a higher spec one like a X1 or X2
no need for extra PSU as speed contoller is built in & project have much better speed accuracy & W&F better in fact than a PR8/10
No need a fit better cartridge as quality ortofon fitted as standard
they also supply a full dust cover
tonearm on rega is fixed on project you can adjust VTA & VTF

The numbers show the speed deviation as well as the maximum low pass filtered deviation relative and absolute. These are very good numbers and especially “well-balanced” in terms of plus and minus speeds. In fact, they are better than the more costly Rega P8’s

Antz81

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
I have a RP3 (2016) with the Neo PSU and I have the same problem. Only seems to happen on 33rpm. Happens warm or cold. If I bypass the Neo PSU then i don't get any issues. Going to call the dealer now and see what they say.
Seems to be a common problem. I've seen a few people complaining about the same problem.

I have a RP3 (2016) with the Neo PSU and I have the same problem. Only seems to happen on 33rpm. Happens warm or cold. If I bypass the Neo PSU then i don't get any issues. Going to call the dealer now and see what they say.
Seems to be a common problem. I've seen a few people complaining about the same problem.
That's an interesting point, I did wonder if the turntable could still be operated without the PSU and thus taking it out of the equation.

Rega just do not have the budget or the volumes to build & design internal speed controllers & use modern DC motors like technics did in the 1970s or almost every project since the 1990s
Well true, most of their speed control means lifting the platter and moving the belt onto a different sized pulley although they certainly manage to sell these in high volumes, today's market not withstanding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts