reference headphones. What to pick please help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i am looking into getting a new set of headphones, I have narrowed it down to three the AKG K702s,AKG k701s and the Sennheiser HD650s

I prefer a more detailed Sound so i have went down the reference headphone route

can anyone tell me the difference between the K701s and the K702s (apart from the detachable cable on the K702s)

also could anyone help me make my decision or if you have any better examples let me know

my budget is 200 - 300 quid preferably on the lower end of that.

look forward to the replies

cheers:)

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
There is no difference other than the cable and colours of the 701 and 702, except the former has been discontinued, so you can get it cheaper (I own a pair, wonderful but it is true that they take 300 hours or so to break in, and no that is not placebo, it was blatantly obvious and even had me worrying whether they'd ever be listenable).

"Help me make my decision" - look, the only thing that can really do that is listening to them side by side. Otherwise, there are literally hundreds of user reviews of these headphones online. Personally I took a punt on the 701s, because auditioning headphones can be difficult. I have never heard the Sennheisers. If you like a detailed sound, you will love the 701s (or 2s), I can definitely say that.

A

Anonymous

hi guys

cheers for your replies i was kind of leaning towards the K 702s thb as they have really good reviews on the net

iv'e read that they need a pretty decent headphone amp to get the best out of them as i would most likely use them on the go i think a portable DAC amp would be best suited to me

has anyone got any recomendations for what to buy

thanks

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I use the NJC Audio Monitor II (as mentioned recently on another headphone thread, if you've been reading) with great results, this amp has now been fitted with pre out and costs more than when I bought it.

I have heard the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and think it would suit the 701/2s; the Heed Canamp is also often recommended. Again, if you've been reading reviews, you must have also come across amp recommendations.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
AKG Q701 currently £299 at Amazon......

Firestone Audio are running a promotion on the Fubar4+ DAC / headphone amp for less than £150

Not a portable solution but a killer headphone set up.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Re-thinking this, if you get the 701/2s, I don't think you will find them suitable "on the go"; people are wearing big headphones days but these are just not intended for other than home/studio use.

A

Anonymous

hi

I was thinking that they wont be good on the go myself i had a look at the akg K550s which is a closed back referance headphone and they are aimed at ipod users. They are on amazon for 249 quid bit more expensive than the 702s. i cant really find any reviews on them at the moment so going to hold off until more reviews are available for them and see if they drop in price.

has anyone herd anything about them?

A

Anonymous

hi

I was thinking that they wont be good on the go myself i had a look at the akg K550s which is a closed back referance headphone and they are aimed at ipod users. They are on amazon for 249 quid bit more expensive than the 702s. i cant really find any reviews on them at the moment so going to hold off until more reviews are available for them and see if they drop in price.

has anyone herd anything about them?

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
No, I hadn't until now, they look really nice and may well be what you're after.

Yet another set of headphones to lust after!!

By the way, can I dangle the Ultrasone Edition 8 in front of you..? :evil:

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I have some 702's and they are amazing, if you want detail you will love these.

Its true they do take a while to break in. I was advised that if you play white and or pink noise through them it will speed up the process. Try this http://simplynoise.com/

Cheers Ed

A

Anonymous

I have the Q701s and am really pleased with them. I've read a few debates about whether these are simply rebadged 702s or actually a new model, but as I've not heard the 702s I can't comment. However, mine cost me £220 imported from America, including the delivery and import duties and I think at this price they were a bargain! Prior to purchase, AKG UK confirmed that the US models were the same as the UK models and that they would honour the warranty.

I only use mine at home and would not recommend using for portable use. There is too much sound leakage, in my view they are too big and I do not think they would be a tight enough fit for me to use on the move. And they do need a decent amp.

I've never done a proper comparison, but when I have listened to the Sennheisers I found them lacking sparkle and they sounded a bit boring. But then, there are probably more people who don't like the sound signature of the AKG's... Find a decent dealer and have a listen, they are both very different sounding headphones, both very good in their own ways.

A

Anonymous

I have Q701s (£220 inc import taxes and delivery from America - AKG UK confirmed it would honour the warranty) and whilst they are fantastic headphones I would not recommend them for portable use. On my head, they are very comfy but it is not a tight enough fit for on the move. Plus they leak a lot of sound and do need a very beefy amp to get the best out of them.

Its all down to personal taste, but I much prefer the Q701s to the sennheisers. Th HD650s are excellent headphones but I prefer the detail and sparkle of the AKGs. Although, many people much prefer the sennheisers!

I've not heard the K550s but from browsing the AKG website these have been designed for portable use, will probably be much easier to drive, could be worth a punt...

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
gcameron said:
Hi i am looking into getting a new set of headphones, I have narrowed it down to three the AKG K702s,AKG k701s and the Sennheiser HD650s

I prefer a more detailed Sound so i have went down the reference headphone route

can anyone tell me the difference between the K701s and the K702s (apart from the detachable cable on the K702s)

also could anyone help me make my decision or if you have any better examples let me know

my budget is 200 - 300 quid preferably on the lower end of that.

look forward to the replies

cheers:)

The closest things I've heard to a reference headphone are the Sennheiser HD-800 and the Shure SRH-940 which costs 1/5 as much as the HD-800.

I've done extensive reviews of the Shure 940, which has nearly identical sound as the HD-800, lacking only some of the large soundstage that the HD-800 gets with those huge earcups and angled drivers.

A

Anonymous

I would certainly buy a pair of those Shures if I saw other comments saying the same thing, they look ok but I heard they are closer to the AKG 701's but with more sibilance, a quick google of Shure SRH-940 vs HD800 & I see your review on headroom, amazon,

A

Anonymous

The headphones I think are worth looking at are the following,

AKG K-701 (detailed but slightly weak bass)
Sennheiser HD600 (brighter than the 650)
Sennheiser HD650 (a lovely warm & forgiving headphone)
Denon AH-D5000 (sub bass is really good on these)

Remember all of those need an amp to get the most from them, my portable just doesnt cut it.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I listen to:

Beyerdynamic DT-48A with optional oval cushions: Best midrange sound in hi-fi, but bass light from 60 hz down, and they press your head very tightly. No way around that.

V-Moda V-80 (same as M-80): Great portable headphone, but needs treble boost for good sound, and still somewhat congested if used as a main headphone at home.

Grado PS-500: Very clean and detailed like the DT-48A from midrange up, but very noticeable upper bass hump. Also somewhat forward, probably a moderate hump around 1.5 khz.

Shure SRH-940: Closest to overall sound of the Sennheiser 800, lacking some detail in the upper harmonics. NOTE: Has less sibilance than the Senn HD-800!

B&W P5: Smooth fairly neutral sound, but soft and slightly mushy on both high and low end.

EDIT: Sennheiser HD-800 already described by Shure 940 above, needs amp for best volume and dynamics. All others above will play well with excellent sound from a DAP, lacking only the refinement of a good headphone amp for "air" and spaciousness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts