Recommending your own gear

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Personally I find recommending my toys at times a bit uncomfy, however at times I am so certain it deserves to be on the OP's audition list, I practically make growling noises while I type.

Recommending your own gear? Good, bad, shameful, logical? What say you?

ego.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's the kit you are most likely qualified to talk about....so if appropriate to the OPs requirements, then a recommendation that it should be added to the demo list is fine (imo)....either that, or just ram it down their throat with obsessional fervour. :shifty:

T

the record spot

I've no problem in recommending my own gear and have been through enough in recent years to feel comfortable in suggesting it. That said, It's more the road less travelled for me and I tend to avoid the usual suspects. However, I'm probably the forum's lone voice in supporting the DC4 against The Q Acoustics Concept 20 or lesser 2020i and the rest - and rightly so! :)

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
It's the only thing you really can recommend isn't it? Unless of course you've got my gear, then it's best to keep your mouth shut :silenced:

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Having had my 15 year old amp and cdp modded I am comfortable in recommending modding as an upgrade path. Not many people go down that route on these forums but I'v been extremely happy with what I'v experienced.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It's the kit you are most likely qualified to talk about....so if appropriate to the OPs requirements, then a recommendation that it should be added to the demo list is fine (imo)...

+1

it´s ok but doesn´t make sense at all for the OP to be honest.If there are many "realworld" recommendations for a product and also tested good by hifi magazines etc. it is probably good...and worth to consider/demo

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My biggest fidget is that most of us are recommending off a small knowledge base and our larest piece of kit is the best and anything previous was rubbish...

Ps as long as you recommend people not to demo the roksan kandy i have no issues
smiley-laughing.gif

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I see no problem here , and even better when one has various and rich experience and can make some comparisons ( ideally in the same environment) .Such kind of recommendations are very informative ,even all this is a matter of taste and very subjective , as we all know.

Even I don't have such experience , I wouldn't hesitate to recommend my system combination for an audition at least , it makes a great result and price conscious modest system . Resolute enough to show less than good recordings and fix you in the chair when a good one goes on the source .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What do you guys respect more? Recommendation by:

1) Hi-Fi magazines.

2) Individual friend audiophile in personal life.

3) Group of audiophiles online.

4) Hi-Fi dealer.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:

1) Hi-Fi magazines.

4) Hi-Fi dealer.

All of them :)

Throw them all into a pot add a pinch of salt , bring to the boil and carefully strain out all the impurities and lumps until clear , then season to taste .

Keep reapeating this process until you find the dish / system of your choice :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:

1) Hi-Fi magazines.

4) Hi-Fi dealer.

I'd say 3), but I'm selective about whose opinion I listen to (as I'm sure everyone is).

Matt

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Electro, in not so many words you just said "I'll have none of it."
grin.gif

I suppose you could be right :)

I am influnced by other peoples opinions and marketing like most other people, but I have a very efficient filter that allows me to see through most of the bull@#!£ .

I don't get it right all the time but I am pretty good at it if I say so myself :grin: .

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:

1) Hi-Fi magazines.

4) Hi-Fi dealer.

1) They have a commercial interest in keeping the market as complicated as possible. It sells magazines which is all they are interested in.

2) I don't have an audiophile friends!

3) As a group yes.

4) As long as you take into account their commercial interests their views can be useful.

Chris

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
1) and 4) with very much caution as they're biased by their interests . But can provide useful info if verified from other sources .

2) wish I had at lest one , but the only one is my image in the mirror :)

3) frequently useful source of info ,more or less trusted by me especially in relation with their experience on one subject or another.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts