Recommendations for relaxing music please!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
drichardb said:
Far From the Maddening Crowds - Chicane

15 years old and still has a place close to the top of my most played albums list.

Ghost - Devin Townsend Project

I dont think anyone expected this from the lunatic that is Devin "Heavy Devy" Townsend (Anyone that could come up with an album like Ziltoid, which kicks ass btw, is downright certifiable!)

We have Giants by Chicane, which we love but is more dance floor than birthing pool! ;) I have added Far From the Maddening Crowds to have a listen to, unfortunately your other suggestion does not appear to be on spotify. Thanks for your suggestions :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
idc said:
How about some mellow, beautiful Icelandic music?

Strafraenn Hakon and the Apron EP or anything by Sigur Ros. All on Spotify.

I was hoping you might chip in idc! I have added the Hakon EP to listen to. I have Takk and () by Sigur Ros, any others I should listen to?

Also, any good math rock which might fit the brief?

Many thanks :)

idc

Post rock suggestions -

The American Dollar - Ambient One & Two

The Album Leaf - In a Safe Place

Remember Remember - Remember Remember

Saxon Shore - It doesn't Matter

Unwed Sailor - Little Wars

Please post your final playlist once your done :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Fantastic, thanks idc :)

My sonos queue is now around 650 (despite listening to a lot of music over the last few days) so I'll see if I get through it all, but I will be sure to post the final playlist once done. It's approaching 50 tracks at the moment, but I will probably lose a few of those before it's finalised.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
fr0g said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden album

+1

Early post-rock. Really cool stuff.

Add "Laughing Stock" too.

Thanks :) I like the Talk Talk that I have heard and have added these albums to the queue.

Beware of a track on Laughing Stock with over a minute of feedback on it Ben, not so relaxing that one, can't remember which track though.

Other suggestions:

Labradford - MI Media Naranja (album) Highly recommended

Neu - Seeland (track)

Neu - Leb'wohl (track)

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
drichardb said:

15 years old and still has a place close to the top of my most played albums list.

I dont think anyone expected this from the lunatic that is Devin "Heavy Devy" Townsend (Anyone that could come up with an album like Ziltoid, which kicks ass btw, is downright certifiable!)

We have Giants by Chicane, which we love but is more dance floor than birthing pool! ;) I have added Far From the Maddening Crowds to have a listen to, unfortunately your other suggestion does not appear to be on spotify. Thanks for your suggestions :)

I am also a big Chicane fan, one track to listen to is Goldfish from the new album Thousand mile stare. This particular one is not only chilled but when a friend of mine told me his new wife was preggers I told him to play this track quietly in the new born's room. I think it fits.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
fr0g said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

+1

Thanks :) I like the Talk Talk that I have heard and have added these albums to the queue.

Beware of a track on Laughing Stock with over a minute of feedback on it Ben, not so relaxing that one, can't remember which track though.

Other suggestions:

Neu - Seeland (track)

Neu - Leb'wohl (track)

Thanks for the warning BBB - don't worry, nothing is getting added to the playlist without being listened to first, for this very reason! Added the tracks you suggested, but Mi Media Naranja not on spotify - just ordered a second hand copy for £3 from amazon, what the hell!

Cheers,

Ben

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
theo12 said:
BenLaw said:
drichardb said:

I am also a big Chicane fan, one track to listen to is Goldfish from the new album Thousand mile stare. This particular one is not only chilled but when a friend of mine told me his new wife was preggers I told him to play this track quietly in the new born's room. I think it fits.

Great, thanks, added as well :) I had not even noticed this album had been released, it's hard to keep up! Sounds like a good recommendation.

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I know that you have a lot of recommendations at the mo but when you get round to it Thousand Mile Stare is a good follow up to Giants, there are similarities but it is hardly more of the same.

Enjoy :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
fr0g said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

+1

Other suggestions:

Neu - Seeland (track)

Neu - Leb'wohl (track)

Thanks for the warning BBB - don't worry, nothing is getting added to the playlist without being listened to first, for this very reason! Added the tracks you suggested, but Mi Media Naranja not on spotify - just ordered a second hand copy for £3 from amazon, what the hell!

Cheers,

Ben

Well the newborn should have decent taste in music when he/she arrives in the world.

Have you considered Romeo Foxtrot or Juliet Bravo as names for the baby?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
fr0g said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

+1

Other suggestions:

Neu - Seeland (track)

Neu - Leb'wohl (track)

Cheers,

Ben

Well the newborn should have decent taste in music when he/she arrives in the world.

Have you considered Romeo Foxtrot or Juliet Bravo as names for the baby?

:grin:

The track with feeback was excellent and pretty chilled btw :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Love GYBE, but some of the tracks do tend to build, awesome live though.

Just another thought Ben, Autobahn by Kraftwerk, 22 minutes plus of pure pleasure.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Love GYBE, but some of the tracks do tend to build, awesome live though.

Just another thought Ben, Autobahn by Kraftwerk, 22 minutes plus of pure pleasure.

I was thinking Kraftwerk, although I thought Tour de France might be better. Spotify is great fro Kraftwerk so I may listen again to be both and see if there's any good tracks for it. Thanks again BBB :)

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
shropshire lad said:
Here's a few :

Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon

Neroli

Global Communication - 76.14

Caroline Lavelle - Spirit

Ed Alleyne-Johnson - Purple Electric Violin

Edgar Froese - Aqua ( that'll get her going , in more ways than one ! )

Gas - Konigsforst

Nah und Fern

Zauberberg

Harold Budd - Abandoned cities

Johann Johannson - Englaborn

Fordlandia

Klaus Schulze - Kontinuum

Virtual Outback

Lisa Gerrard - The mirror pool

Duality

Loop Guru - The Third Chamber

Plastikman - Consumed .

That lot should last nearly 24 hours and if at the end of that time she still hasn't dropped play her Release The Bats by The Birthday Party . That should do the trick !

Good luck . You're gonna need it .

Thanks for the great list! :) I have listened to bits from many of the artists and like :) Have you listened to And In the Endless Pause There Came the Sound of Bees?

Sorry to be so slow in replying I have only just returned to this thread . Yes , I have the Lp of that album . I first heard it as the soundtrack to a rather sad little cartoon on YouTube , the name of which escapes me .

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
My enormous gratitude to all those who have contributed :clap:

Just to say, I have now listened to everything, my current playlist stands at 105 tracks, of which 12 have so far been approved. Hopefully Clodagh and I will get to listen to the rest over the next few days and when the playlist is pared down and finalised I will post the link to it :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Right, we completed the review process yesterday, and this is the (more or less) final playlist:

http://open.spotify.com/user/benlaw1981/playlist/530D67oYy1N2LsZzyKP8Zx

I hope that that works, please let me know if it does not.

If anyone does choose to listen to it, please use shuffle as it is not designed to be in any particular order.

Let me know if you like :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts