Recommendations for relaxing music please!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
For chilled out electronica have a listen to an album called 'Dive' by 'Tycho' or an album called 'XX' by 'The XX'.

If you like mellow easy listening blues/country music then give Eric Bibb a try, he's really good.

3 months late for the list ;) but thanks Steve :) I know The XX very well (have you heard the new album? What do you think?), but will check out the other suggestions, I saw you recommend Tycho the other day.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
steve_1979 said:
For chilled out electronica have a listen to an album called 'Dive' by 'Tycho' or an album called 'XX' by 'The XX'.

If you like mellow easy listening blues/country music then give Eric Bibb a try, he's really good.

3 months late for the list ;) but thanks Steve :) I know The XX very well (have you heard the new album? What do you think?), but will check out the other suggestions, I saw you recommend Tycho the other day.

Ooops sorry. Not paying attention. :oops:

I've only just discovered XX myself a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving their first album. I haven't listened to the new one yet but I've read posts by a couple of people who said that it's not as good as the first one.

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
gel said:
Wow Ben - cute baby, congrats!
smiley-smile.gif

Thanks gel :) He's got even cuter since:

627775A5-C248-437A-A893-ECC9B81A86E5-12799-0000071FC8FF9EA5.jpg

smiley-smile.gif
A little Norwich supporter in the making.
smiley-smile.gif

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi Benlaw,

glad to hear you are all in good order, he is looking cuter, lucky blighter. Also glad to hear that the sleeping is going well, sleep deprivation can be a real pita especially if a young one is ill. But good news all the same.

Glad to hear you are getting the AWVFTS cd, on your equipment it will sound absolutely stunning, although I should recommend the whole album as there is not a bummer on it, I strongly recommend the 2 parts of " Requiem for a static king", they are both dedicated to people whom have passed away although I know not who, but both tracks are very moving pieces without knowing the fact. Part one is my favourite but part 2 compliments it.

So please let me know what you think, when you have had a chance to get to know the disc.

It's going to be a year before I have a set up that might be half way as good as yours so I am mighty jealous, however good things come to those that wait !!

Enjoy the listening

All the best

Theo12

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ben

I completly miss this thread, i just want to congratulate you an your wife on the birth of your beautiful baby boy!

CONGRATULATIONS, or as we say in my country PARABÉNS AOS PAPÁS !!!

I'm a father of a 10 year old boy.

enjoy every second of it, each smell, each laugh, and keepeth with you.

:cheers:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
theo12 said:
Hi Benlaw,

glad to hear you are all in good order, he is looking cuter, lucky blighter. Also glad to hear that the sleeping is going well, sleep deprivation can be a real pita especially if a young one is ill. But good news all the same.

Glad to hear you are getting the AWVFTS cd, on your equipment it will sound absolutely stunning, although I should recommend the whole album as there is not a bummer on it, I strongly recommend the 2 parts of " Requiem for a static king", they are both dedicated to people whom have passed away although I know not who, but both tracks are very moving pieces without knowing the fact. Part one is my favourite but part 2 compliments it.

So please let me know what you think, when you have had a chance to get to know the disc.

It's going to be a year before I have a set up that might be half way as good as yours so I am mighty jealous, however good things come to those that wait !!

Enjoy the listening

All the best

Theo12

Thanks again Theo. You're making me look forward to listening to it even more! I'll let you know what I think when I've had a listen - as might be expected I'm getting less time to listen than I used to and have a few things to catch up on, but this will be high on the list :)

Are you saving up for anything in particular?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi Ben

I completly miss this thread, i just want to congratulate you an your wife on the birth of your beautiful baby boy!

Thanks a lot Hi-FiOutlaw :) Three months has gone so fast but we've also been enjoying every day. It's hard work but there really is nothing else like it. I'm also convinced that his relatively peaceful entrance into the world, assisted by music inspired by this thread, has contributed to his very chilled, happy demeanour :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi Ben

Thanks a lot Hi-FiOutlaw :) Three months has gone so fast but we've also been enjoying every day. It's hard work but there really is nothing else like it. I'm also convinced that his relatively peaceful entrance into the world, assisted by music inspired by this thread, has contributed to his very chilled, happy demeanour :)

No need to thanks!

I've read all the thread and you haven't post from the 7th until the 17th of july, what was the exact day of birth...? As i'm from 10th of July an a Cancer... He will be a nice boy! ;)

It will have a strong personality... :roll:

[/quote]

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes he is a cancer, and yes he's a nice boy with a strong personality :) He was born on the 16th. I've just looked back at the dates of my posts, clearly I was very sensible and got my playlist sorted a week or so in advance :grin:

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Benlaw,

having done a brief search for reviews on your system components the AWVFTS is the type of music should suit yours down to the ground, being that it is orchestral in nature, would be interested in what you think of the production as well as the music.

As for my wish list i am working on the following

Oppo BDP 105, this version has asynchronous USB input good for my PC as well as HDMI inputs and a dedicated headphone amp. So, as well as being a universal player of discs, suits me nicely.

Electrocompaniet ECI 3 has XLR connectors to match the Oppo and an excellent reputation including reports of being valve like. Can't wait to here it in action.

KEF R500, need to demo them but I was astonished by the R300's earlier this year.

That little lot should keep me saving for the next 12 months, the only good thing is that I can get it piece by piece and not have to wait the whole 12 months to start hearing improvements.

TTFN

Theo12

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Hi all,

So, we're due to have a baby in about 4 weeks time and Clodagh is planning to have a natural / home birth. She already has a few relaxation CDs and a bit of music, but as far as I can tell ( ;) ) this may take a while, so could do with some music to listen to round the house.

So has anyone got any recommendations for relaxing, tranquil albums / tracks? Must be available on spotify please, so I can set up a playlist. Clodagh's a particular fan of electronica and doesn't really like classical. Otherwise, a mixture of genres would probably be good.

If this all goes well, the payoff is a link to the final playlist :)

Look forward to the suggestions, Many thanks, Ben

I have most of the earlier all the stuff already recommended and excellent it all is, but if you meant 'music' then for starters how about "Victoria De Los Ángeles - Baïlèro from Canteloube's Chants d'Auvergne"? Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlOJ_YE193c

Does anybody out there also include classical music and a little culture in their repetoire any more? :cry:

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
proffski said:
BenLaw said:
Hi all,

So, we're due to have a baby in about 4 weeks time and Clodagh is planning to have a natural / home birth. She already has a few relaxation CDs and a bit of music, but as far as I can tell ( ;) ) this may take a while, so could do with some music to listen to round the house.

So has anyone got any recommendations for relaxing, tranquil albums / tracks? Must be available on spotify please, so I can set up a playlist. Clodagh's a particular fan of electronica and doesn't really like classical. Otherwise, a mixture of genres would probably be good.

I have most of the earlier all the stuff already recommended and excellent it all is, but if you meant 'music' then for starters how about "Victoria De Los Ángeles - Baïlèro from Canteloube's Chants d'Auvergne"? Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlOJ_YE193c

Does anybody out there also include classical music and a little culture in their repetoire any more? :cry:

Hi Proffski

Have you tried A winged victory for the sullen? Neo classical ambient I know, but you could try a couple of tracks on you tube or last fm, see what you think, personally I think it matches your last statement.

Theo12

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
proffski said:
BenLaw said:
Hi all,

I have most of the earlier all the stuff already recommended and excellent it all is

You're doing well if you own all of the music that was recommended! :O

but if you meant 'music' then for starters how about "Victoria De Los Ángeles - Baïlèro from Canteloube's Chants d'Auvergne"? Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlOJ_YE193c

Thank you for your recommendation. It wasn't a case of not having any culture (your remarks come across as rather patronising I'm afraid) but as you read in my OP Clodagh has her own (perfectly legitimate and well developed) musical tastes, and she happens not to listen to a lot of classical. I'm sure you'll appreciate that in the rather unsual circumstances that this music was played in, it was not a time for musical education, but for comfort and ease :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
theo12 said:
Benlaw,

having done a brief search for reviews on your system components the AWVFTS is the type of music should suit yours down to the ground, being that it is orchestral in nature, would be interested in what you think of the production as well as the music.

Oppo BDP 105, this version has asynchronous USB input good for my PC as well as HDMI inputs and a dedicated headphone amp. So, as well as being a universal player of discs, suits me nicely.

Electrocompaniet ECI 3 has XLR connectors to match the Oppo and an excellent reputation including reports of being valve like. Can't wait to here it in action.

KEF R500, need to demo them but I was astonished by the R300's earlier this year.

That little lot should keep me saving for the next 12 months, the only good thing is that I can get it piece by piece and not have to wait the whole 12 months to start hearing improvements.

TTFN

Theo12

Hi Theo. That sounds like a great shopping list :) Definitely piece by piece is the way forward :) Which would you go for first? The only thing I would say is get a listen to some ATCs if you can (if you haven't already) as these would let your excellent proposed source and amplification shine through and would also suit a lot of the music you're into.

I managed to get a first listen to AWVFTS :) I'd had a very stressful day, so it was great music to unwind to but not the best state to give it a full assessment, so I will leave that until I've had a few listens. First thoughts were that it was remarkably emotionally engaging (each track seemed to have its own personal heartbreak), the music did indeed suit my system well, and it seemed fantastically well recorded, excellent dynamics for example. I can also see how it would make for a quite superb gig, especially if everybody was really into it.

One thing I also noticed is that one of the musicians, playing violin IIRC, was Peter Broderick. I've never seen him mentioned elsewhere, but he made one of my favourite albums of 2012 so far: www.itstartshear.com. It's not the same musical style at all, but it's very interesting, varied yet consistent if that makes sense, well worth a listen if you get a chance.

Cheers,

Ben

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
theo12 said:
Benlaw,

TTFN

Theo12

Hi Theo. That sounds like a great shopping list :) Definitely piece by piece is the way forward :) Which would you go for first? The only thing I would say is get a listen to some ATCs if you can (if you haven't already) as these would let your excellent proposed source and amplification shine through and would also suit a lot of the music you're into.

I managed to get a first listen to AWVFTS :) I'd had a very stressful day, so it was great music to unwind to but not the best state to give it a full assessment, so I will leave that until I've had a few listens. First thoughts were that it was remarkably emotionally engaging (each track seemed to have its own personal heartbreak), the music did indeed suit my system well, and it seemed fantastically well recorded, excellent dynamics for example. I can also see how it would make for a quite superb gig, especially if everybody was really into it.

One thing I also noticed is that one of the musicians, playing violin IIRC, was Peter Broderick. I've never seen him mentioned elsewhere, but he made one of my favourite albums of 2012 so far: www.itstartshear.com. It's not the same musical style at all, but it's very interesting, varied yet consistent if that makes sense, well worth a listen if you get a chance.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Benlaw

good to hear that AWVFTS works for you. Indeed give it time it grows on you and you may find as I did, a couple of tracks really stand out but after a while the whole piece gets the thumbs up. Admittedly I have listened to the album so much that any normal person might have taken 3 years to play it that many times.

On the system front I will go source first as this will provide an immediate upgrade visually and aurally, but then I am in a dilema as to whether the speakers or amp come next. If there are discounts available at the what hifi show, then it will be the speakers as I have my heart set on the KEFs, however in the meantime I will take your suggestion and listen to the ATCs and while I am at it the LS50 KEFs as well.

I also, want to give Peter Broderick a try so thanks for the link.

hopefully your stress was short lived.

Enjoy Sunday with the family

All the best

Theo12

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
+1 for AWVFTS, really enjoying that album.

Not sure if its been suggested previously as the thread is so long now, but some of Pete Namlook's stuff is excellent, my (current!) favourites being Air and Air II

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts