Question Recommend an AVR for High End Music

liquidsmoke

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I want to upgrade my AVR to enable me to use it alone for both movies and music.
Right now I have a Yamaha RX-V with pre-outs connected to arcam alpha 10/10p and monitor audio silver 9i speakers.
I am upgrading my speakers to B&W 802d or 803d. I've been told that my Arcam 10/10p pair isnt quite up to the task of driving the B&W at thier optimum. So I want to upgrade my AVR to a beast that will be good for movies AND MOST IMPORTANTLY music in stereo!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

abacus

Unfortunately there is no AVR on the market that will be able to drive the B&Ws you have selected to a satisfactory level/performance. (These speakers require a really beefy amp to get the best out of them)

If you must have an AVR then the Anthem is a top notch product, however also see if you can find an Arcam 850 (Although discontinued there may be some still available) as this is also top notch with music. (Just remember to use the room correction systems; (Unless you have an acoustically treated room) otherwise you will have wasted your money on the B&Ws, as you will just hear the room, not the speakers)

NOTE: Both Anthem and Arcam (Avoid the new Arcam’s) also do processors which will allow you to use a separate really beefy amp for the B&Ws

Bill

liquidsmoke

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
So if sticking with my existing avr and pre-outs connected to a stereo amp for music.... What amp/amps should I buy for thr b&ws!? I don’t mind spending some money, as I should get back some from the alpha 10/10p combo I already have if I sell them on eBay...

D

Deleted member 2457

This might help.

The two I would personally look at is the new Arcam Avr30 or this Anthem:

The Anthem has fewer features I think but probably is more reliable than the Arcam AVR30.

I have read about several systems partnering the Arcam 850/AVR30 for the new one being paired with the B&W 800 speakers. There are some clips on YouTube you could possibly look at, can you demo though?

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 2457

If you can’t demo then some shops might let you home demo eg Frank Harvey HiFi.

D

Deleted member 2457

If you go for the Arcam AVR30 don’t being paying £5000 though the going rate is more like £4400 I think with setup.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Could Rotel be an option?

You could pair a processor with the power amp which provides the 200W required. Rotel and B&W used to be well rated as good pairings?

D

Deleted member 2457

This Denon gets really good reviews if you want features and reliability it might be an option but check with Frank Harvey if it will be enough to power your B&W speakers.

D

Deleted member 116933

I want to upgrade my AVR to enable me to use it alone for both movies and music.
Right now I have a Yamaha RX-V with pre-outs connected to arcam alpha 10/10p and monitor audio silver 9i speakers.
I am upgrading my speakers to B&W 802d or 803d. I've been told that my Arcam 10/10p pair isnt quite up to the task of driving the B&W at thier optimum. So I want to upgrade my AVR to a beast that will be good for movies AND MOST IMPORTANTLY music in stereo!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Not a single AVR "integrated" is going to drive these the way you want and properly! These demand serious current dropping to 2ohms loads i believe, if it were me and I'm surprised no one has mentioned them considering B&W distributes them in the UK Id be looking at Rotel pre and power. Monstrous and musical all at the same time. Not even anthem minis their pre/power combos will do this justice.

If it were me id be looking at the Michi series though there not strictly multi-channel have digital inputs

If it must be multi-channel maybe the 1585 power amp will cut it with its corresponding pre.

All Rotel's are tuned with B&W so makes sense to start there.

Auditions i think in this case are the way to go, and i don't think your well know "house brands" are going to cut it in this case. Most AVR's are designed to be used with little monitors and satellite speakers in mind.

These are difficult to drive nothing but the best is going to cut it id listen to the experienced dealer.

EDIT:

Another brand id seriously look into is moon by simaudio

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 116933

This Denon gets really good reviews if you want features and reliability it might be an option but check with Frank Harvey if it will be enough to power your B&W speakers.

Gel mate, look at the specs of the amp then look at the speaker's specs there is no way this thing will drive them, these are some of the most demanding speakers going. Where most will mono block each channel

Reactions: Al ears

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Not a single AVR "integrated" is going to drive these the way you want and properly! These demand serious current dropping to 2ohms loads i believe, if it were me and I'm surprised no one has mentioned them considering B&W distributes them in the UK Id be looking at Rotel pre and power. Monstrous and musical all at the same time. Not even anthem minis their pre/power combos will do this justice.

If it were me id be looking at the Michi series though there not strictly multi-channel have digital inputs

If it must be multi-channel maybe the 1585 power amp will cut it with its corresponding pre.

All Rotel's are tuned with B&W so makes sense to start there.

Auditions i think in this case are the way to go, and i don't think your well know "house brands" are going to cut it in this case. Most AVR's are designed to be used with little monitors and satellite speakers in mind.

These are difficult to drive nothing but the best is going to cut it id listen to the experienced dealer.

EDIT:

Another brand id seriously look into is moon by simaudio
Please see post #14

I said just that re-Rotel. I also included a link to a pre/power combination.

D

Deleted member 2457

Gel mate, look at the specs of the amp then look at the speaker's specs there is no way this thing will drive them, these are some of the most demanding speakers going. Where most will mono block each channel
Ok mate.

Basically what amp should I use for the b&w 800 series speakers!?

As good as the Anthem MRX 1120 is however as has been mentioned the 800 Series will need even higher quality of power amplification to get on top of and keep those 800 Series loudspeakers in check. You can do this in one hit or in stages. Stick with your Yamaha (btw, out of interest which model is it please?) use pre out or replace the Yamaha with a dedicated AV processor such as Anthem's AVM 60 (we're big fans of Anthem Room Correction - Genesis btw) and then pair with power amps such as Morris Kessler's ATI (Amplifier Technologies Incorporated and Morris Kessler also owns Datasat, Theta Digital, etc.) power amplification which are successfully used by some 800 Series users. Fwiw, we've used ATI amplification for nearly three years with many loudspeakers and so far no loudspeaker has tripped them up. Proper old school designs. Anyway, power amps to consider are -

AT543NC front left, centre and front right (500w 8 ohms or 900w 4ohms) £3820 + AT542NC rear left/rear right (500w 8 ohms or 900w 4ohms) £3000

AT4005 (200w 8 ohms or 300w 4 ohms) £5049 - 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 channels are also available

AT6005 (300w 8ohms or 450 4 ohms) £6700 - 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 channels are also available

1584377890416.png

liquidsmoke

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
As good as the Anthem MRX 1120 is however as has been mentioned the 800 Series will need even higher quality of power amplification to get on top of and keep those 800 Series loudspeakers in check. You can do this in one hit or in stages. Stick with your Yamaha (btw, out of interest which model is it please?) use pre out or replace the Yamaha with a dedicated AV processor such as Anthem's AVM 60 (we're big fans of Anthem Room Correction - Genesis btw) and then pair with power amps such as Morris Kessler's ATI (Amplifier Technologies Incorporated and Morris Kessler also owns Datasat, Theta Digital, etc.) power amplification which are successfully used by some 800 Series users. Fwiw, we've used ATI amplification for nearly three years with many loudspeakers and so far no loudspeaker has tripped them up. Proper old school designs. Anyway, power amps to consider are -

AT543NC front left, centre and front right (500w 8 ohms or 900w 4ohms) £3820 + AT542NC rear left/rear right (500w 8 ohms or 900w 4ohms) £3000

AT4005 (200w 8 ohms or 300w 4 ohms) £5049 - 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 channels are also available

AT6005 (300w 8ohms or 450 4 ohms) £6700 - 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 channels are also available

View attachment 1013

THANKS!!! This is the kind of suggestions I want! Although, practicality demands that I would ideally much better have one ring to rule them all; in the form of an AVR that is PROPER audiophile grade for the 2 channel stereo hifi as well! Happy to look at monoblocks. I DO CURRENTLY HAVE PRE-OUTS working from my existing Yamaha AVR to my Alpha 10/10p Amps! :)

liquidsmoke

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 1013

Interested in the AT6005....but it looks like it needs a separate processor or something? So..... Can someone either?:
1) Recommend a one box solution like the AT6005?
2) Recommend a processor to matchup with the AT6005,

Thanks,
Dudley.

liquidsmoke

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 1013

Also, if I were to get the AT6005, wouldnt I need a separate processor for the AV sound/HDMI and stuff? Whats a good one of those? Do ATI make one themselves that matches well???

Thanks,
Dudley.

Interested in the AT6005....but it looks like it needs a separate processor or something? So..... Can someone either?:
1) Recommend a one box solution like the AT6005?
2) Recommend a processor to matchup with the AT6005,

Thanks,
Dudley.

Like i said previously said AV processor such as the Anthem's AVM 60. Alternatively Arcam's recently introduced AV40 AV processor or or you really want to push the boat out then Lyngdorf Audio's MP-60 AV processor are also worth a look.

Fwiw, based on my recent experience with the TDAI-2170 and TDAI-3400 (i am uisng a TDAI-3400 btw) and particularly what RoomPerfect is capable of then the MP-60 will be just as special.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts