Question Recommend an AVR for High End Music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

abacus

The New Arcams have only been out about 3 months and have been a bit of a disaster as they were released before the software was fully developed, (The few reviews out there have been scathing) however if you look at various forums they seem to have pretty much got on top of most of the problems (Although there are still some bugs to sort out) so now could be worth a look. (But boy do they look ugly)

Bill

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Or the simple solution is to buy a AV amplifier with Pre=outs and then a dedicated stereo amplifier that is how i run home cinema and hifi together it works very well .
there are some AV's that sound good for music but nothing like a dedicated music amplifier

Samd

Or the simple solution is to buy a AV amplifier with Pre=outs and then a dedicated stereo amplifier that is how i run home cinema and hifi together it works very well .
there are some AV's that sound good for music but nothing like a dedicated music amplifier
True in its simplest form but only when you are comparing similar costs. I had a Denon AVR and Cambridge CXA80 used in the way you say above but replaced both with an Anthem AVR with improvements in stereo and significant improvements in cinema.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
yes but your really got spend some serous money like some of the top Arcam AV's or the Anthem Av's but logic tells me a dedicated stereo amplifier that is made for the job because somewhere along the line you do not get a good TT stage built in or headphone amplifier or the better power supply that some stereo amplifiers have i do feel that if your passion is music and films the two should be left separate

Sliced Bread

Probably not very helpful, but just to reaffirm what others have said. I currently use what was the flagship Yamaha Reciever with b&w cm series and it does a good job but I wouldn’t dream of attaching it to a pair of 800 series. A capable AVR will work and you might even like it, but you’ll be a long way away from the speakers potential.

My friend has a pair of 803’s (older version) and they sing but he uses a very powerful Krell power amplifier to do so.

They need some serious welly!

It sounds like you have your heart set on the 800’s, and I don’t blame you as they’re gorgeous but if you really want a single box AVR then maybe more sensitive speakers. With that said, any speaker in that league will require something pretty special.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts