Receiver Help Please

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

I currently have my TV, DVD and Sky hooked up to my hi-fi via the RCA outputs/inputs but would really like to take advantage of the HDMI technology available. I use a Marantz PM6002 Amp/CD6002 combo at the moment and am shortly adding a PS3 to the list of components I use and would really like to optimise the sound and picture I have.

I have never used a receiver before and am a little concerned that, from a music perspective, I may lose some of the quality sound I enjoy from my existing setup if I ditch the amp/cd and go for a home cinema set up. I have no prior knowledge of the strengths/weaknesses of receivers over amps etc but would appreciate any views.

In addition what's a decent receiver to use - I don't want to spend more than 500 pounds (if that) so would appreciate comments etc.

Cheers

Paul

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I would look for receiver with pre-outs for the front two channels. This will allow to keep on using your stereo system as is and build a home cinema system around this. Otherwise, I think you will have to compromise on your current stereo performance for that budget. From the look of it, the Yamaha DSP-AX763 would be a good one to check out.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
If you're keeping your stereo amp, then a receiver with front pre-outs will allow you to drive the front stereo pair using your exisiting hifi amp and the rest (centre, rears and sub channels) via the receiver. Yamaha usually have front pre-outs on most of their amps, on the other Japanese manufacturer's amps, you often have to look further up the price range.

Otherwise the Marantz SR5003 might be worth a demo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts