Ray Davies - Imaginary Man

"Do you think I've betrayed my class?" Ray Davies once asked a friend, shortly after moving to big house in Hertforshire. "Ray, you could live in Buckingham Palace and it would be a Council house", was the reply. Within a few months he'd moved back to his old council house.

The Beatles were far bigger commercially, but the Kinks had a certain texture or depth to their songs that set them apart from their rivals. I certainly relate to their songs in a way I could never with the Stones, Beatles or The Who.

Alan Yentob's documentary on Ray Davies showed the songwriter as a hugely complex character, troubled by his craft and the occasional ruck with his bro. Yet there are only a handful of bands that portrays the vivid city panorama of the Kinks: Small Faces, The Jam, Squeeze and, to a lesser extent, Blur.

I'm diggin' out the album 'Dead End Street'.

Strange dude. A rare breed.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Friend of mine at work who is an absolutely massive fan of the Beatles (I'm talking serious fanatic) says that if you really want to know what British 1960s music was all about, you need go no further than buy some Kinks albums. Now that says a lot from him.

MajorFubar said:
Friend of mine at work who is an absolutely massive fan of the Beatles (I'm talking serious fanatic) says that if you really want to know what British 1960s music was all about, you need go no further than buy some Kinks albums. Now that says a lot from him.

That is a big claim. I personally wouldn't go that far but they are/were very English/London with most of their songs. I grew up listening to my brother's collection which included all the well-known bands of 60s Brit Pop, but always seem to gravitate towards the Kinks more than most. The irony is until last night, can't remember the last time I played one of their albums.

A

Anonymous

Have loved 'Arthur...' Since I was a 16 year old mod, 30 years ago - is it their best?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Ray Davies writes songs of and about his life.

His lyrics are a personal diary of his feelings, wishes, and observations, and I can really live them. They are totally honest and so straightforward you don’t have to analyse what he’s saying, just listen and the song tells it’s own very simple and understandable story.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts