Rage against the x-factor

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

maxflinn:bobbyg81:
Why are people going on about this as if RATM need the publicity?

They dont!

As for comparing their actions to Katie and Pete?

emotion-7.gif

maybe they dont need the publicity , but they wont mind it , and it will , over time , make them money ...

Granted.But there is a massive difference between what has happened on Facebook and deliberately starting the campaign themselves . Anyone who sells records will get publicity of some sort, whether large scale like this, or with people who bought their music recommending it to friends etc.

You cant slag a band for getting publicity they didnt ask for.

rigors

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
did anyone read this article yet this morning?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/dec/20/joe-mcelderry-rage-against-machine

the author, Barbara Ellen, accuses RATM for being lazy for not releasing a new track.

she says: "Note to Mr Morello:" (Tom Morello is the guitarist with RATM) "if you're trying to make a point about "the cutting edge", instead of using a song that is nearly 20 years old, perhaps you should get off your backside and produce something that is - what's the word again - oh, yes, new."

I find it incredible that someone who writes for The Guardian can miss the point of this whole thing and how it started. It's terrifying that these are the people charged with keeping us "in the know".

A

Anonymous

rigors:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/dec/20/joe-mcelderry-rage-against-machine

the author, Barbara Ellen, accuses RATM for being lazy for not releasing a new track.

she says: "Note to Mr Morello:" (Tom Morello is the guitarist with RATM) "if you're trying to make a point about "the cutting edge", instead of using a song that is nearly 20 years old, perhaps you should get off your backside and produce something that is - what's the word again - oh, yes, new."

I find it incredible that someone who writes for The Guardian can miss the point of this whole thing and how it started. It's terrifying that these are the people charged with keeping us "in the know".
i enjoyed that little piece , and agree with most of what she said ...

A

Anonymous

Typical Guardian journalism. These idiots dont seem to get that thesong HAS NOT even been released as a single. I despair!
emotion-9.gif

daveh75

maxflinn:rigors:

Well, she obviously hasn't done her research either!

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:rigors:

emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

daveh75:maxflinn:rigors:

daveh , can you post me a link to your source of info on the matter ?? ta..

A

Anonymous

What would be the point? Youve decided that the Guardian is right.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:daveh75:maxflinn:rigors:

Max, it's very simple, RATM did NOT start this campaign, look for the Facebook group and you'll find the couple that DID start it, that'll tell you everything you need to know. RATM themselves only became involved once the campaign gathered pace and the media started contacting them for their opinion. As has been said previously they're donating their cut to charity.

Really it's not that difficult to understand...

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:maxflinn:daveh75:maxflinn:rigors:

Max, it's very simple, RATM did NOT start this campaign, look for the Facebook group and you'll find the couple that DID start it, that'll tell you everything you need to know. RATM themselves only became involved once the campaign gathered pace and the media started contacting them for their opinion. As has been said previously they're donating their cut to charity.

Really it's not that difficult to understand...

Its a conspiracy to make everyone in the UK a RATM fan!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Just a clarification - Barbara Ellen is an Observer (part of the Guardian group) columnist, and this is from her weekly commentary page, not a news story. It's rather like saying an overstated (is there any other) Jeremy Clarkson comment on, say, global warming is the editorial policy of the Sunday Times on the matter..

A

Anonymous

oh i dont know , if it was genuinley the idea of a few people who stood to gain nothing , and it just gathered momentum , then i guess RATM cant do anything about it ..

if it was contrived , with their knowledge , it would be a different story ..

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Just a clarification - Barbara Ellen is an Observer (part of the Guardian group) columnist, and this is from her weekly commentary page, not a news story. It's rather like saying an overstated (is there any other) Jeremy Clarkson comment on, say, global warming is the editorial policy of the Sunday Times on the matter..

| take back the comment on the Guardian, on this topic anyway. I stand by the 'shes an idiot comment though'.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:
oh i dont know , if it was genuinley the idea of a few people who stood to gain nothing , and it just gathered momentum , then i guess RATM cant do anything about it ..

if it was contrived , with their knowledge , it would be a different story ..

And if I was a polar bear id like the snow. But i'm not,
emotion-1.gif

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:
daveh75:

As others have stated it's an old song........ and the Rage against the x factor campaign was started by a couple on facebook,not RATM.

I would say that "killing in the name" was probably chosen for the campaign, because of their political viewpoint as much as anything.

Though RATM are now backing the campaign and stated during their R5L interview that "the windfall of the proceeds would go to charity"

There are two aspects to the gains by RATM..............money & publicity. All this has given them publicity. I never heard of them (probably would never have heard of them in my lifetime) before.

Are they definitely going to give away full 100% to charity?

How sure are we, that the couple who started the campaign on facebook are not unofficial PR managers of RATM?

People go to any lengths to get publicity (like Katie Price & Peter Andre).

Any requests of this sort which involves us paying money should raise eyebrows.
emotion-40.gif

Er, you may not have heard of them. But I assure you many people have. I have every album, and to those of a certain age in the 90's they were a big thing.

As for publicity. I cant see they need it/want it. They headlined Reading Festival last year and refused to allow recordings to be shown of them on TV. Cant see a band who acts like this looking for publicity from X Factor, can you?

You should probably do more investigation in to the band and their history before coming up with conspiracy theories.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
bobbyg81:
Why are people going on about this as if RATM need the publicity?

They dont!

As for comparing their actions to Katie and Pete?

emotion-7.gif

THANKYOU. There are many people on this thread who dont seem to know anything about Rage Against the Machine. They dont need to publicity, if they were to release an album a month before all this blew up it would be succesful anyway.

A

Anonymous

JamesOK:bigboss:
daveh75:

As others have stated it's an old song........ and the Rage against the x factor campaign was started by a couple on facebook,not RATM.

I would say that "killing in the name" was probably chosen for the campaign, because of their political viewpoint as much as anything.

Though RATM are now backing the campaign and stated during their R5L interview that "the windfall of the proceeds would go to charity"

There are two aspects to the gains by RATM..............money & publicity. All this has given them publicity. I never heard of them (probably would never have heard of them in my lifetime) before.

Are they definitely going to give away full 100% to charity?

How sure are we, that the couple who started the campaign on facebook are not unofficial PR managers of RATM?

People go to any lengths to get publicity (like Katie Price & Peter Andre).

Any requests of this sort which involves us paying money should raise eyebrows.
emotion-40.gif

Er, you may not have heard of them. But I assure you many people have. I have every album, and to those of a certain age in the 90's they were a big thing.

As for publicity. I cant see they need it/want it. They headlined Reading Festival last year and refused to allow recordings to be shown of them on TV. Cant see a band who acts like this looking for publicity from X Factor, can you?

You should probably do more investigation in to the band and their history before coming up with conspiracy theories.

it may not be a conspiricy , but if this is true

Rage's Tom Morello saying how it's about "saving the UK pop charts from
this abyss of blank mediocrity", "what you're seeing is real democracy"
and agonising over "what saccharine pop music does to the nation's
souls".

then its not very cool , live and let live , people have different tastes ...

JamesOK:

Look, I said in my later post that I'm not against RATM. It's not difficult for the record company (who owns the rights to the music) to start all this. Why is RATM's publicist making comments (which Clare has posted) encouraging people to make the single no. 1? If RATM is only supporting it, then just support it, rather than encourage people to buy the song. Why is the official chart company being in touch with Jon & Tracy & advising people against bulk purchasing which will disqualify their purchase? Why not let people find that out by themselves?

No matter what others think, I simply cannot believe that all 100% is going to Shelters / other charity. The world is not that simple as we're made to believe. The easiest way to get publicity is by starting campaigns against the most popular show.

Agreed that you own all their albums, but you've bought them because they're good (on their own merit), rather than buying to get another song down.

I've always been taught to get to the top by my own efforts, rather than by pulling others down.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We really like to focus our attentions on the important things in life round here, dont we?

It is interesting, however, how the net has put us all in a position to notice lazy "journalism" by old hands, or anybody else.

And ratm arent giving anything to shelter tho the facebook group are. ratm will be donating some of the money to an unnamed charity for the development of young musicians.

daveh75

al7478:And ratm arent giving anything to shelter tho the facebook group are. ratm will be donating some of the money to an unnamed charity for the development of young musicians.Sorry al,but RATM are giving their proceeds to charity, both to shelter and to youth music! They have stated this several times now and here is one example and another!

A

Anonymous

This thread is descending into farce! If you honestly believe that record company execs or the band themselves started this then that is youre choice, albeit ridiculous choice.

I dont see Tom Morello backing the campaign as being a problem. If RATM make it as Xmas number 1,(they wont by the way!) it does show that if a nation gets behind an idea, no matter who started it, they can have a huge influence. If you knew anything about RATM and Toms political views you would see why he was all for this. His band are obviously getting publicity but this is not the real issue.

A couple of people on facebook start a silly campaign. Said campaign snowballs and influences the outcome of the chart significantly. This just goes to show what we as a nation are capable of, instead of sitting back thinking our opinions dont count for anything. They clearly do.

If we as a nation can influence the chart, what else can we change?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:al7478:And ratm arent giving anything to shelter tho the facebook group are. ratm will be donating some of the money to an unnamed charity for the development of young musicians.Sorry al,but RATM are giving their proceeds to charity, both to shelter and to youth music! They have stated this several times now and here is one example and another!

Hmmm. Not what ive heard, and neither article gives a direct quote to prove anything.

i wont mention that one article is in the mail.

emotion-5.gif
emotion-2.gif

You might, nevertheless, be right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts