Rage against the x-factor

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
daveh75:

As others have stated it's an old song........ and the Rage against the x factor campaign was started by a couple on facebook,not RATM.

I would say that "killing in the name" was probably chosen for the campaign, because of their political viewpoint as much as anything.

Though RATM are now backing the campaign and stated during their R5L interview that "the windfall of the proceeds would go to charity"

There are two aspects to the gains by RATM..............money & publicity. All this has given them publicity. I never heard of them (probably would never have heard of them in my lifetime) before.

Are they definitely going to give away full 100% to charity?

How sure are we, that the couple who started the campaign on facebook are not unofficial PR managers of RATM?

People go to any lengths to get publicity (like Katie Price & Peter Andre).

Any requests of this sort which involves us paying money should raise eyebrows.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

I really think you should look into who RATM are before making such statements!

bobbyg81:I really think you should look into who RATM are before making such statements!

I've read articles about them in papers & online including wikipedia. Ok, they may make political statements. They're definitely not holy & sacred. Aren't they also performing live shows? Definitely, the ticket sales for 2010 shows will shoot up which won't go to charity & I won't be surprised if they announce recording a new album in 2010.

Look, I'm not against RATM, but this entire campaign looks suspicious to me. What if it has been initiated by the record company who owns the track?

X Factor songs are no. 1 since 2005, but atleast it allowed people to make a choice, rather than being told to buy something. Isn't this itself against the ethos of RATM?

Hasn't X Factor provided entertainment for all those weeks (even if every episode was making Simon Cowell richer). It was so easy to get a parking place in Valley Centertainment in Sheffield on a Saturday evening (when normally cars are piled up on kerbs) when X Factor final was on. Why would 20 million people watch the programme? They were never forced to watch it. They could make a choice (like I did, by watching films in Cineworld
emotion-1.gif
)

At the end of the day, who's gaining from all this? Who's laughing all the way to the bank?

I'm against anything that tells me what to do (like a nanny).

A

Anonymous

I understand you being sceptical but I still think this started in facebook and the band/record co were nothing to do with it. The band have no need for publicity. There shows would sell out very quckly without this campaign. The group are all multi millionaires and if they released a new album I am sure it would go straight to number one. At least in America anway.

I do agree that with their political and moral views they shouldnt have backed the campaign. At least its money for charity though!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well they may be against 'the machine', but they still have a PR company
emotion-40.gif
- who have just emailed me this particularly unsubtle diatribe:

"RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE have just announced that if their single

"KILLING IN THE NAME" is number one on the Christmas Week UK pop

charts over the single from X-Factor winner they WILL PLAY A HUGE FREE

CONCERT IN THE UK TO CELEBRATE THE VICTORY OF THIS HISTORIC PEOPLE'S

CAMPAIGN!!!! If the unprecedented grassroots movement to topple the X-

Factor monopoly is successful in making Rage number one the group will

return to UK shores sometime in 2010 for a massive "thankyou" gig. And

get this...Rage have vowed to invite 2nd Place finisher, X-Factor

empressario Simon Cowell, to MC the show! Said Rage guitarist Tom

Morello late friday night: "Attention Freedom Fighters! RAGE VS. X-

FACTOR WILL BE DECIDED BY SATURDAY'S SALES. Spread the word! Knock on

doors! Host downloading parties! Knock over ladies buying X-Factor!

The clock is ticking. And if "Killing in the Name" is number one WE

ARE COMING. And it will be the victory party to end all victory

parties."

A

Anonymous

And it will be the victory party to end all victory

parties."

reminds me when Saddam said it would be 'the mother of all wars'

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:I'm not buying either - not because of the cynical marketing, but because I think they're both rubbish!

Same here, so we aren't muppets then are we.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The RATM album that the single comes from is a great album - it's been one of my most played albums on my i-pod this year. Just managed to pick it up on vinyl, so can't wait to get that on the t/t.

I will say one thing though. I'm not a fan of Tom Morello's guitar solos. Having said that, his guitar riffs are excellent, whether it's RATM or Audioslave.

I remember hearing it on a big Naim system with Dynaudio Temptations - it virtually sounded like an audiophile recording! Amazing.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:Perhaps you would prefer "Two Little Boys" by Rolf Harris as a re-issued Christmas number one? Always "Mistletoe and Wine" by Cliff as an alternative!

'Stop the Cavalry' by Jona Lewie - still love that track!

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
just a heads up if for those that may be interested but

havent got round to joining in the devilment against x-factor sugar pop.

todays the last day for a purchase to count. amazon have it for 29p. and the facebook group now says amazon will count. I realise that its probably considered a bit childish on this forum. But then I really do hate x-factor, big brother, strictly jungle dancing and all that pap.

And the fact that the media interest has shown my wife that Im not the only one that is a 'miserable git' for not liking that stuff. its has been worth my 29p

A

Anonymous

Who ever told anyone to buy either of the singles, people have asked you to buy rages single if you dont want x-factor to get to no1, thats all if you dont care fine, if you would rather buy x-factors fine, but please lets remember it was only a request.

A

Anonymous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christmas_number_one_singles_(UK)

Proof that rubbish xmas number ones aren't a new thing. And I didn't realise that "Do they know it's Christmas" had been xmas number one, three times!!

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
To me, it looks like a conspiracy by RATM.........create a *** song, & earn royalties from it by urging people to buy it..............if at all you want to start a campaign against X Factor, then distribute the song for free. Why influence people's decisions to buy it just to get X Factor down, rather than by its own merit??

exactly , the x factor tries to get people interested in the show so they will vote , to make money , the r.a.t.m campaign is the same , create interest , buy the tune , make other people money , er , is there a difference ???

daveh75

maxflinn:the x factor tries to get people interested in the show so they will vote , to make money , the r.a.t.m campaign is the same , create interest , buy the tune , make other people money , er , is there a difference ???

628png.gif

Yes,there's a difference!

The Facebook group has raised £60k for Shelter and RATM are donating the royalties from the song to the charity too!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
The RATM album that the single comes from is a great album - it's been one of my most played albums on my i-pod this year. Just managed to pick it up on vinyl, so can't wait to get that on the t/t.
Agreed. A great album. And I don't believe they would be in this for the money.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:
maxflinn:the x factor tries to get people interested in the show so they will vote , to make money , the r.a.t.m campaign is the same , create interest , buy the tune , make other people money , er , is there a difference ???

628png.gif

Yes,there's a difference!

The Facebook group has raised £60k for Shelter and RATM are donating the royalties from the song to the charity too!

well if that is true , then it cant be bad , it will still be a big help to RATM though , great publicity , ah well , good luck to them...

A

Anonymous

Why are people going on about this as if RATM need the publicity?

They dont!

As for comparing their actions to Katie and Pete?

emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

bobbyg81:
Why are people going on about this as if RATM need the publicity?

They dont!

As for comparing their actions to Katie and Pete?

emotion-7.gif

maybe they dont need the publicity , but they wont mind it , and it will , over time , make them money ...

TRENDING THREADS