Radio sound vs Hi Fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'm reticent to advise adding a sound processor in the path of your hifi components because I can't be 100% sure that's what you want, it's just my perception of what I think you're meaning when you talk about the difference in sound between radio and your hifi. If I get chance this evening when I get home from work I'll upload two snippets of audio for you, one without additional compression and one with quite voracious broadcast compression. Feel free to nominate the song you would like me to use.

Thanks Major. Any known song will be ok to me. RHCP ? Madonna ? Something known and popular...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
P.S. It can still be 50/50. Either the "nice radio sound" is down to broadcast compression or it might be as said simply "wave transmissions" that make such a sound. Need to find out yet.

Here you've got an example of the sound files with guitar, vocals, drumms etc. compressed and non-compressed. Check them out:

https://www.thomann.de/de/samson_s-com_4.htm

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
How about just downsizing to something like a B&W Zeppelin Wireless or Naim Muso QB or Ruark MR1 Mk2s or similar? (Something about the size of a good quality radio.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I'd put the thoughts of PP and The Major together....The radio has a midrange driver, which can sound rolled off. The music being played has "built in" loudness, which sounds ok through the radio. When put through the HiFi, any loudness/compression issues are highlighted in all their glory.

It's quite possible that I've got the wrong end of the stick, as I've only skimmed through the thread.....if so, I apologize.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
chebby said:
How about just downsizing to something like a B&W Zeppelin Wireless or Naim Muso QB or Ruark MR1 Mk2s or similar? (Something about the size of a good quality radio.)

It's also a good view on this issue...size also matters. True. Maybe you're right...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Personally, I'd put the thoughts of PP and The Major together....The radio has a midrange driver, which can sound rolled off. The music being played has "built in" loudness, which sounds ok through the radio. When put through the HiFi, any loudness/compression issues are highlighted in all their glory.

It's quite possible that I've got the wrong end of the stick, as I've only skimmed through the thread.....if so, I apologize.

Also a good mention....thanks.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
From my conclusions about radio sounding better earlier on, that was a long time ago, well about 18yrs ago. May well be Most of the hifi I was listening to music on was not up to the job. Having said that we observed the same in the music studio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts