RA-04 - Which Speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone.

After a long trawl through all the budget hi-fi separates on the market, I believe I've narrowed it down to these options: Rotel RA-04 with either Monitor Audio BR2s or Mordaunt-Short Avant 902is, OR Cambridge Audio Azur 540A V2 with the above-mentioned speaker options. I'm very interested in the Azur 540A V2 after reading a favourable What HiFi? review on it, when coupled with the Avant 902is. However, I do know that both the Monitor Audios and the Rotel are excellent in this price bracket. I intend to use my old CD player and Ipod until such time as I can purchase a good CD player.

I'm not too keen on the Tannoy Mercury F1s or the Cambridge Audio S30s, which, I understand, are also decent competitors in this segment. Seeing that the B&W 601S3 are old-ish stock now, I'll try to haggle for a slightly lowered price on them, if possible, with the local dealer. In the mean-time, please share your thoughts and wisdom on the above-mentioned two combinations.

Many thanks!

zimble01

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew

Thanks alot for your reply! You seem very sure... I listen to anything from jazz to opera, and some 80s music (no "heavy metal" or rap). Do you think this combination will suit these music types well?

Thanks

zimble01

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Rotel and MA do patner well and have a good dynamic range for your classical music taste. I would also consider B&W which has a terrific synergy with rotel electronics. (the 602 S3 ex-demo is something of a bargain!)

A

Anonymous

Hi

I can most probably get a 601 S3 here for a reduced price (this is more within my intended price range). I understand that these are both good speakers, but do you tink that the B&Ws will have more "boogie"?

Thanks again.

zimble01

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
B&W 601 s3 do the bass well while the treble is slightly bright. I would still prefer the B&W to the MA but that would be my personal taste in sound. The best way is trust your ears....demo and see which one you prefer.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman

Thanks for your replies. By the sound of things, you seem to like the 602 S3s more... They're a bit out of the price range, but I'll certainly have a listen. On one of What HiFi?'s reviews, they suggested that CA 540A v2 could be successfully coupled with the DM601 S3s. From my knowledge, this could be quite bright/harsh but is it worth considering? I'm looking for something with delicacy for classical, but also a bit of bass depth for the newer stuff (I am not sure if all this is possible at the price).

Thanks again!

zimble01

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Don't forget MA Bronze BR2s that Andrew suggested, they are certainly a very worthy contender. I afraid you are not going to get a hifi sound with your ipod, a dedicated cdp can improve sound even at lowish price.

Are you consider 2nd hands? If so let me know your budget and I will have a hunt on the net and post links here for you. regards

A

Anonymous

Thaiman

Thanks alot for your enthusiastic reply!

I understand that the iPod won't give such a great sound, but my budget is 500GBP in total for the moment, so instead of using this budget for amp, CD and 'speakers I thought I would use it to by only the amp and 'speakers, allowing for a better quality system. I would then purchase a suitable CD player at a later date. The trouble with internet stores like ebay.co.uk etc. is that I reside in South Africa, and most don't ship worldwide - don't let this put you off as almost all the hifi products are available here. The reason why I restrict my budget so is that here, the 250GBP Rotel RA04 would cost the equivalent of 300GBP, this being as a result of import duties etc. So, quite honestly, unless I hear a vast difference between the MAs and B&Ws, the Rotel + the MAs are as far as the budget will stretch.

The 2nd-hand dealership network isn't as established here as it appears to be in the U.K., but I am not averse to 2nd-hand machines if shipping is not terrificly pricey.

Thanks!

Zimble01

A

Anonymous

Hi

I've just discovered that it is possible to obtain a 2nd-hand Rotel RA-1060 for a truly decent price indeed. I know that this is a very good amplifier, but would my remaining budget (+/- 250GBP) be enough to satisfy its speaker requirements?

zimble01

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
That is a great amp, and with the remaining money I would try and obtain a deal for the B&W's 602 S3s (mentioned earlier in the thread) as this amp really deserves better speakers than the budget ones you are considering. The 602 S3 are classics and were very good value for their price...

Razz

A

Anonymous

Razz & Andrew

Thanks for your replies! The RA-1060 is quite new and is apparently in mint condition. How would its second-hand sound compare to that of a run-in new RA-1060's sound? Razz: Would the difference between the 601 S3s and the 602s be substantial sound-wise?

My humble thanks!

zimble01

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew

The amp is three-years-old. It has NEVER been played loud/hard, and is in tip-top condition. I am very tempted to settle for it. I will see what I can do about the 602 S3s. Have you any other recommendations speaker-wise that are within the specified price bracket (apart from 602s)? Epos M5s and MA RS1s are pushing it too much in terms of cost (new, anyway). Thank you very much for all your help.

zimble01

A

Anonymous

The main question: (don't laugh - I am a newbie) Will the RA-1060 with 602 S3s sound much better than a RA-04 with Bronze BR2s?

A

Anonymous

Hi - just updating...

Well, the sale of the RA-1060 didn't pull through, so I am now a very proud owner of a RA-04. The difference between that and a 15-year-old clapped-out Philips FA-630 is mind-blowing, even through my (soon to be replaced) muddy sounding Wharfedale Diamond 9.4s. The first impression is very, very good, if a tad bass-heavy, but the current speakers' incompetence is quite noticeable. Now for some speakers and a pair of stands....

BTW, should I replace my Van Den Hul The Clearwater speaker cable?

zimble01

A

Anonymous

If you're going to consider those B&Ws then why not audition the MA RS1s too. I have them on my RA-05 with a REL Quake and the combo is fantastic...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts