Question for What Hifi team

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have read someone claiming to have been in your main 2ch listening room who commented that it was acoustically 'dead' like an anechoic room.

Is this so?

If so, what was the intention in designing it like that? (Given that the average punter's room is their family/living room with no acoustic 'treatment'.)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's certainly not dead - merely neutral, so we're listening to the products, not the room.

We have a mix of treated and non-treated rooms, of varying sizes, so we can - and do - judge kit in a range of situations.

A

Anonymous

Certainly some nice systems you have there. What is your Blu-ray reference deck? I love the new Denon and Marantz universals, absolutely stunning inside and out - though very similar.

On that note i've been looking at the Denon BD-2010 and the Marantz BD7004. They both seem to me to be the same player in a different case. Both companies are owned by D&M Holdings afterall. The marantz commands a £100 premium as far as i can see.

Any thoughts?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Bananaman2:
Certainly some nice systems you have there. What is your Blu-ray reference deck? I love the new Denon and Marantz universals, absolutely stunning inside and out - though very similar.

On that note i've been looking at the Denon BD-2010 and the Marantz BD7004. They both seem to me to be the same player in a different case. Both companies are owned by D&M Holdings afterall. The marantz commands a £100 premium as far as i can see.

Any thoughts?

We use test/Award-winning/five-star Blu-ray players at a range of prices for reference - so, Denon, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic. We hope to settle on a high-end reference once this year's models are all available, complete with full Profile 2.0 spec etc etc.

Re the Denon/Marantz situ - like many sibling companies, they're bound to share component suppliers where possible to give them better economies of scale. However, what they then do with the raw materials can - and does - vary.

For example, Marantz may tune products to be more musical, whereas Denon may prefer more of a movie bias. Other features - such as compatibility with their relevant matching AV receivers - can also differ.

We've a host more BD player tests to come - including those high-end Universal models you mention. Can't wait to see/hear some of that
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Top kit.

It's a bit like driving the company chauffeured Bentley then driving your Corsa home - I would just live in the main testing room. For no overtime.
emotion-1.gif

Any cleaning jobs at around £30k?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I've been there and it's a place where dreams come true. Even Stevie Wonder can sound alright.

And So I Watch You From Afar - Don't Waste Time Doing Things You Hate

A

Anonymous

Gusboll:
I've been there and it's a place where dreams come true. Even Stevie Wonder can sound alright.

And So I Watch You From Afar - Don't Waste Time Doing Things You Hate

Mr Wonka's audio factory of delights......

A

Anonymous

I am very interested in the Marantz bd7004 - well priced. I currently have a Pioneer pdp508xd and marantz avr7002 and marantz dv7001. I would like to know how this blu ray player compares with the sony bdp es5000s.

When will you be reviewing the Marantz bd7004?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts