What's the best hifi you've ever heard

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
What's the best hifi you've ever heard?
Irrespective of it being your own or expensive.
Id love to hear what systems you have built over the years and what you regard as the best.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I’m not sure it counts as hifi, but listening to stems of Lord of the Rings at Abbey Road studio 1 control room was breathtaking on levels I can’t describe. You could hear the bows being touched on the stringed instruments at the start of the take, the level of detail moved me. Oh, and hearing the John Lennon Imagine 5.1 mix in the studio 3 control room, where it was mixed, that was pretty damn special too.

AJM1981

What's the best hifi you've ever heard?
Irrespective of it being your own or expensive.
Id love to hear what systems you have built over the years and what you regard as the best.
The Wharfedale Elysian 2’s are on my list for that. Basically a bigger volume Evo 4.2. But not desired as I consider the Evo’s already being there for the space I have.

I can by the way enjoy any kind of loudspeaker if the conditions are ok.

I recently walked into an audition room at a hi-fi dedicated store with €€€€ priced handmade loudspeakers and it simply had too much reverb to judge anything well.

idc

It was in a department store in Berlin. I don't remember what the speakers were, but they were towers that fired upwards into cones. It was also not clear which of the various amps and CD players next to it on a rack were driving the speakers. In Glasgow, I got a demo listen to a top of the range Linn setup, but again, I am not sure of the exact components.

In a domestic setting, my grandmothers Bang & Olufsen Beocenter, that she had back in the 1980s, was the most impressive.

matthewpianist

Like @12th Monkey I'm happy with what I now have, and it's the most musically engaging system I've had.

Overall I'd choose the Project RPM1, Rotel RCD965BX/Pionner A400/Mission 751 combination as the other most memorable.

The best I've ever heard was an all-Sugden system, but way beyond my budget then and now.

The worst I've ever heard was about £100k worth of PS Audio system with speakers I can't remember. I got to play a couple of favourite tracks and it sounded truly dead and awful. Another disappointing experience was an all-PMC system with Roksan turntable, used for the launch of the Queen remasters years ago. It was harsh, one-dimensional and didn't give a good impression of the new pressings (which sound very good on my system).

Reactions: Revolutions

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Like @12th Monkey I'm happy with what I now have, and it's the most musically engaging system I've had.

Overall I'd choose the Project RPM1, Rotel RCD965BX/Pionner A400/Mission 751 combination as the other most memorable.

The best I've ever heard was an all-Sugden system, but way beyond my budget then and now.

The worst I've ever heard was about £100k worth of PS Audio system with speakers I can't remember. I got to play a couple of favourite tracks and it sounded truly dead and awful. Another disappointing experience was an all-PMC system with Roksan turntable, used for the launch of the Queen remasters years ago. It was harsh, one-dimensional and didn't give a good impression of the new pressings (which sound very good on my system).
Best I've ever heard is probably because it's a fond memory shared with my dad which some of it I still own was a pioneer a400 with mission 763i floorstanders using a system deck iix.
This was my first memory of a what I regard a real hifi.
The best I've heard recently was my old roskan k3 with q acoustics 3050i's as I haven't tried the acram sa30 yet as the k3 went faulty but I maybe purposely lying to myself as I have the pioneer a400 hooked up to mission mx3s in the living room which I love.
I tried to better it with newer equipment but to be honest haven't put the hrs in with the new system to really tell, they both sound so different.
Could it really be a budget amp from the early 90s is as good as a mid tier amp of today.

gotnoname

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
Best I've ever heard is probably because it's a fond memory shared with my dad which some of it I still own was a pioneer a400 with mission 763i floorstanders using a system deck iix.
This was my first memory of a what I regard a real hifi.
The best I've heard recently was my old roskan k3 with q acoustics 3050i's as I haven't tried the acram sa30 yet as the k3 went faulty but I maybe purposely lying to myself as I have the pioneer a400 hooked up to mission mx3s in the living room which I love.
I tried to better it with newer equipment but to be honest haven't put the hrs in with the new system to really tell, they both sound so different.
Could it really be a budget amp from the early 90s is as good as a mid tier amp of today.
wondering what you make of the SA30? Seems an appealing spec but some concerns over software apparently.

podknocker

Years ago, in Superfi, I listened to a Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature through a Marantz PM63 with Mission Cyrus 780SE speakers, in a gorgeous rosewood finish and they were sitting on Atacama SE24 stands. Loads of SE models and it sounded incredible. The whole system cost about £900 and I couldn't afford it. I can still hear the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms album and I don't think I've heard anything close to that system, including my current one. The string tone was bright, but not brittle and the midrange in particular was amazing. If I could build this system now, I'm sure I would never upgrade. The CD player is still available on ebay for about £250 and just proves how sought after these things are.

Amazing.

Edit: I also remember when Marantz were owned by Philips and their very first CD players and amps were available in the Kays catalogue we borrowed from a neighbour. I was obsessed with these things and could never afford them as a teenager. The Marantz CD6007 and PM6007 are the new breed and are an absolute bargain. I think you can buy both for around £690 at Richer Sounds and if I was starting out in HIFI, then I would buy these and stick a pair of QA5040 on the end of them. You don't need to spend a fortune to get really decent HIFI quality sound.

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
To my mind if you need to buy an amp that needs software to work on your own head be it.... But I am an old timer. :cool:

Software is one step too far for me when it comes to timeless components. That literally puts a 10 year limit on your gear.

I made somewhat of an error going with Bose Soundtohch over Sonos. It was my first time, and now I know they rarely make new tech backwards compatible. It still works for me & they did finally deliver AirPlay 2, but **** that the new models use different software. All Sonos from oldest to newest still works together, which is really cool of them. Their app was a pile of crap vs Bose which worked inside Spotify though, so no regrets.

Will I pay £1k+ for a streamer? I don’t think I ever could. Once I’m set on a UI it’s so hard to change. Like Spotify. I’d love cd quality steaming but 20 years of their app and anything else just seems alien.

It’s awesome that we have so many choices how to approach this stuff. And for the most part, I’m definitely selling & changing my gear before repairing or having to bin broken units.

matthewpianist

Mission speakers seem to be a popular inclusion here.

Over the years I've had 760, 760i SE, 751, MX2, LX2, LX3 and now QX1 Mkii. I've never heard a pair of Mission speakers I didn't enjoy, hence I keep coming back to them. The QX1 Mkii will be with me permanently now.

Mission speakers seem to be a popular inclusion here.

Over the years I've had 760, 760i SE, 751, MX2, LX2, LX3 and now QX1 Mkii. I've never heard a pair of Mission speakers I didn't enjoy, hence I keep coming back to them. The QX1 Mkii will be with me permanently now.
You said that about the previous five pairs, didn’t you? 😉😗

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
You said that about the previous five pairs, didn’t you? 😉😗
I've personally had 3 pairs myself, as mentioned awhile ago my first ever speakers were mission 760i which I saved up for with 1£ 40p a week pocket money as a 12 yr old, my father was into hifi and I heard his and had to have a pair after he recommended them.
What hifi had awarded them best bookshelf speakers beating the wharfdale diamonds that year, I remember them having a red rose in top of them on the front cover and Mary black was endorsing them at the time.
They were very good I wore them out playing them everyday very loud through various amps in my tiny bedroom until the rubber surround split.
After that I was given mission 763i a fairly rare model it seems which again were very good, a very deep bassy speaker that will shake any room in a good way.
They were stored in a damp garage and the rear reflex split but before that gave many years of flawless performance, I can't find a replacement driver only the 763 drivers are available, I'm still looking for a donor pair but refused to pay the 200 £ for the only pair I could find at the time that were in a sad state.
Since then I can't find any, I now have a pair of mission mx3 that as with the other 2 took awards and running off an aging pioneer a400 they sound very good indeed, that good I question my purchase of q acoustics 3050i and an acram sa30 etc which was to upgrade for the bedroom I use now to avoid annoying my neighbour as I prefer music at ear shattering volumes hence my pursuit for a 100 watt plus amp awhile ago.
I've had both the roskan k3 and have the acram sa30 and neither are as powerful as the pioneer a400 rated 80watts but I lie to myself about that and them sounding better.
I can't recommend mission enough and I've tried a few brands, speakers are a very personal thing like amps but like "Mathiewpianist" I've never heard a pair I haven't liked.
I do like the q acoustics 3050i but again lie to myself about them being better than a 25yr old pair of mission 763i's and a much cheaper pair of very happy mission mx3's that I enjoy every week.

Attachments

• PXL_20231019_140135710.jpg
    PXL_20231019_140135710.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20231110-085336.png
    Screenshot_20231110-085336.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20231110-085529.png
    Screenshot_20231110-085529.png
    333.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: matthewpianist

matthewpianist

My first contact with 760s was in a system my Dad bought when I was 12. It was a complete CD/amp/package with Sansui electronics, called 'The System'. It won a WHF award at the time, and came with the Mary Black 'Demonstration Disc'. I can still remember going to the hi-fi shop with Dad when he bought it (along with the matching Sansui tuner and a Dual CS503/2), and hearing it for the first time. I remember listening to Solti's recording of The Entry of the Gods into Valhalla (Wagner), and the sound of the axe falling having incredible impact. The Sansui CD player was heavily based on Technics technology, with a MASH D/A converter.

My second Mission experience was in the room where we had our A-level music classes. The music teacher was running a pair of Model 70 MkII (with the grill cover that goes 2/3rds of the way back), and they always sounded great.

Eventually the 760s came down to me when Dad bought some Sony SS126EB (I think that's the model) floorstanders that were receiving glowing reviews at the time. Much later on I had a pair of the iSE.

I've had Q3050i and I liked them very much, but they didn't leave me to focus on the music in the same way. My speaker history also includes a pair of Spendor A1s - beautifully made, but I never felt particularly engaged by them, even on the end of a Rega Elex-R. I'm not saying the Missions are objectively better than or even as good as the Spendors, that's ridiculous, but they are more involving and more consistent at various volume levels. The Spendors really needed lots of power to come on song.

At one point I also had Mission 790s on their dedicated stands, and I would have kept those if it wasn't for me partner of the time complaining about the gloss black finish.

In the distant past I had a Denon DM-31DAB with the matching Denon speakers, which were essentially Missions. That was very enjoyable, and memories of this led me to where I am now.

Last edited:
I've personally had 3 pairs myself, as mentioned awhile ago my first ever speakers were mission 760i which I saved up for with 1£ 40p a week pocket money as a 12 yr old, my father was into hifi and I heard his and had to have a pair after he recommended them.
What hifi had awarded them best bookshelf speakers beating the wharfdale diamonds that year, I remember them having a red rose in top of them on the front cover and Mary black was endorsing them at the time.
They were very good I wore them out playing them everyday very loud through various amps in my tiny bedroom until the rubber surround split.
After that I was given mission 763i a fairly rare model it seems which again were very good, a very deep bassy speaker that will shake any room in a good way.
They were stored in a damp garage and the rear reflex split but before that gave many years of flawless performance, I can't find a replacement driver only the 763 drivers are available, I'm still looking for a donor pair but refused to pay the 200 £ for the only pair I could find at the time that were in a sad state.
Since then I can't find any, I now have a pair of mission mx3 that as with the other 2 took awards and running off an aging pioneer a400 they sound very good indeed, that good I question my purchase of q acoustics 3050i and an acram sa30 etc which was to upgrade for the bedroom I use now to avoid annoying my neighbour as I prefer music at ear shattering volumes hence my pursuit for a 100 watt plus amp awhile ago.
I've had both the roskan k3 and have the acram sa30 and neither are as powerful as the pioneer a400 rated 80watts but I lie to myself about that and them sounding better.
I can't recommend mission enough and I've tried a few brands, speakers are a very personal thing like amps but like "Mathiewpianist" I've never heard a pair I haven't liked.
I do like the q acoustics 3050i but again lie to myself about them being better than a 25yr old pair of mission 763i's and a much cheaper pair of very happy mission mx3's that I enjoy every week.
I’ve still got my 760s from 1993.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I was about to answer the question in the heading and I've been quiet for too long.

I thought I look at some YouTube videos to get a positive vibe.
Then I came across this Society for Flat Earthers video. After seeing this old video, I can't help thinking is HiFi like the Matrix?

Are we all living in a capsule like Thomas A. Anderson, also known as The One. Anagram for Neo
Are we all essentially ...... Ph ph ph, excuse my stutter ...... up in the head?
You know what, if it's all in my head like some Placebo Effect, well I drink to that. Cheers!

View: https://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?si=rLUnMDjNf0xjV3nY

DATs All Folks...
View: https://youtu.be/0jTHNBKjMBU?si=UlUEES48JaDRwS7H

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I’ve still got my 760s from 1993.
After making the comment I looked in eBay and found 3 sets of mission 763i's after not finding any in months of looking.
One set remain unsold after not reaching reserve and another for 70 £ or nearest offer but neither will post, I've messaged them both asking if they will part out the drivers so I can use them to repair the ones off my father.
I'm willing to pay the 70 £ for those drivers as they are well worth that kind of money.
Infact they are a steal at that and would be a nice addition to any hifi, I certainly know there's nothing new at that cash would come even close to that quality of sound.
Despite having no use for them the sentimental value is why I want them repaired regardless.
The pair that linger at 200 £ I will leave as they neither won't post and that's a tad much for them.
The latency in reply kind of tells me they aren't interested but I will keep looking.
I will try offering the full 70 £ to see if I can convince them to post.
I regularly see mission 760i on eBay for 45 £ etc and tbh that's a steal for someone who wants a cheap bookshelf set up.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Never heard anything better than my own, and have no desire ever to do so - that way dissatisfaction lies...
Same. But since I don't personally know anyone else who gives a **** about listening to decent music on a decent audio system it's not surprising.
Most of the people I know would much rather sit in front of aTelevision and descend into a stupor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Same. But since I don't personally know anyone else who gives a **** about listening to decent music on a decent audio system it's not surprising.
Most of the people I know would much rather sit in front of aTelevision and descend into a stupor.
We live in a generation of Tik ToK, whatsapp, instagram etc. Young people (not all), the most I know tend to have a very limited attention span and to expect them to give up their soul for just one hour listening to good music on a decent system is never going to happen.

I come from a generation, as a young person, getting laid is the pinnicle of your existence. It was kind of primival but we all knew, having a decent set of wheels or having the state of the art HiFi will certainly promote your chances, though if you were **** ugly (not speaking of myself of course!) you're going to need something special.
Anyway, not sure what my point is, SLAP, focus. The point I'm trying to make is that; there was an impetus, that made us all interested in HiFi but I don't think it's there anymore or maybe I have become so detached, that I don't see the positive developments of today, such as streaming. I think kids want to share their music collectively on social media with friends; a kind of things we use to do with cassette tapes. Maybe it's just looking at the same thing in a different format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Same. But since I don't personally know anyone else who gives a s**t about listening to decent music on a decent audio system it's not surprising.
So well said and also my findings.
I only personally know one other person who likes to listen and feel music at an emotional level such as me and that's my father.
My partner would prefer to listen to a phone in the bathroom.
It shouldn't as we all enjoy music in our own way but watching her listen people such as Sam Smith via a phone loudspeaker annoys me, especially when there's a plethora of not just classical music but all kinds of other genres through a decent system which is only a flick of a switch away.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Not many people I know is so enthused about hi-fi. I have heard a few at a dealers over the decades, a number have been impressive but way out of my price bracket.

Probably the best system I heard, years ago, again, way out of my league, was my ex-manager's system. He invited me around his house and he had a Luxman amp powering a pair of Wilson Benesch standmounts. Wow!

Reactions: Stuart83

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts