What's the best hifi you've ever heard

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AJM1981

Will also give my contribution ....

I could name my Wharfedale Evo 4.2's, could go for the Denton 85; but honestly... I think the best ever speaker system I've heard in terms of price / quality was the Madison MADBS _ _bookshelf loudspeaker. It is a series that does not even have an appealing name, nor an appealing package and completes with the color coding in its type where I left the blanks (BL, WH, RE) . But really, those small bookshelf speakers are amazing. Why? Such a great enjoyable transparent sound in a tiny package and only 70 euro's. I once picked them up for fun, because of their price and user reviews, and completely agree with one review stating that if these were a brand, they would cost a multiple factor.

+Amazing sound; vocals and guitars sound simply great.
+70 euro's
- one in a dozen "design"
- the hole for the cables in the binding posts differ from angle because they are not consistently attached, which creates challenging angles. Not a huge problem, but ok.

mad-bs4bl-3230.jpg

Last edited:

monad

Dec 26, 2023
Visit site
when i was 6, i heard a full Bose system.. with an 'installed' brick wall behind the system, speakers hanging from the ceiling..

yep, laugh now, but at that time< i was blown away. The sound seemed to be coming from all over and in a way I had not engaged with music- yet.

my Dad's Marantz, w AMPEX box speakers just didn't have the same sound engagement/ progression into the room.

it was my first 'ah haah' moment in audio.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Will also give my contribution ....

I could name my Wharfedale Evo 4.2's, could go for the Denton 85; but honestly... I think the best ever speaker system I've heard in terms of price / quality was the Madison MADBS _ _bookshelf loudspeaker. It is a series that does not even have an appealing name, nor an appealing package and completes with the color coding in its type where I left the blanks (BL, WH, RE) . But really, those small bookshelf speakers are amazing. Why? Such a great enjoyable transparent sound in a tiny package and only 70 euro's. I once picked them up for fun, because of their price and user reviews, and completely agree with one review stating that if these were a brand, they would cost a multiple factor.

+Amazing sound; vocals and guitars sound simply great.
+70 euro's
- one in a dozen "design"
- the hole for the cables in the binding posts differ from angle because they are not consistently attached, which creates challenging angles. Not a huge problem, but ok.

mad-bs4bl-3230.jpg
Interesting 🤔

AJM1981

Interesting 🤔

I am not that surprised.

The brand also produces tube amps and it is not the 70s and 80s or even 90s. Cheap these days does not per definition have to mean audio-wise cheap.

If Wilson Audio can produce good sounding bookshelf speakers for 9800(!) dollar a pair (even Darko needed to disable the comments on his channel because he needed to praise them but couldn't justify the price well) a brand without marketing department can do the same for 75 dollars.

I recently opened a topic about the studio (active) monitor variation of a JBL waveguide speaker that cost a fraction of their HIFI model having the same sound quality. Big difference: furniture objects (hi-fi) vs functional things (monitors)

Now, when also stripping away a brand label, any form of brand identity design with fancy materials and a marketing department; the result is what it is.

Back to the Wilson tune tots, I can justify their price of 9800. It is all about optical design and exclusivity. I don't think I am far off when saying that their marketing adds 9700 dollar of emotional brand value. Many brands in that range are a bit of the Banksey's in desirability. So you have a small base that pays loads.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

Mission speakers seem to be a popular inclusion here.

Over the years I've had 760, 760i SE, 751, MX2, LX2, LX3 and now QX1 Mkii. I've never heard a pair of Mission speakers I didn't enjoy, hence I keep coming back to them. The QX1 Mkii will be with me permanently now.
I have had a pair of 701 from new since the early 2000s. Paid about £50 fro Richer Sounds when they were selling off old discontinued stock. They were main main speakers up until a couple of years ago. I now use them in my bedroom were they sound fantastic. They don't even mind the being placed close to a wall.

Fandango Andy

What's the best hifi you've ever heard?
Irrespective of it being your own or expensive.
Id love to hear what systems you have built over the years and what you regard as the best.
I once went to a house of a recording engineer, he had a pair of 1960s or 70s Tannoy loadspeakers, a valve amp that was some Frankenstein creation he had made himself, and a Linn record player. He was listening to Otis Blue by Otis Redding. That's probably the best I have ever heard.

On the other hand I have heard some very expensive hifis that don't sound as good as my own modest setup.

Reactions: AJM1981

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I once went to a house of a recording engineer, he had a pair of 1960s or 70s Tannoy loadspeakers, a valve amp that was some Frankenstein creation he had made himself, and a Linn record player. He was listening to Otis Blue by Otis Redding. That's probably the best I have ever heard.

On the other hand I have heard some very expensive hifis that don't sound as good as my own modest setup.
Yes I have a similar situation going on.
I have a far more expensive hifi in my bedroom come listening room (mainly because it's out of the way) and a cheaper one in the livingroom which is only used occasionally to keep my neighbour happy.
The livingroom set up consists of two amplifiers I switch to and from using a switching box my father helped me build which are a pioneer a400 and a Yamaha rs202d with mission mx3 speakers.

Especially with the pioneer a400 it sounds as good when I'm not trying to convince myself it doesn't to justify the cost of the more expensive hifi in the bedroom.
I was reminiscing over my youth just yesterday listening to The Clash "London's calling" and was wowed by the little mission mx3's performance.
Always been a favourite of mine but still they suprise me just like the 760i and 763i did in years past.
As for the pioneer you all know from my prior comments on other threads how fond I am of those amps that one in particular.
The little Yamaha is also I very musical little box at 249.99 or cheaper for a refurb.

Hifi is accessible to most irrespective of wether it be a room exploding heavy weight or a collection of 2nd hand separates that combined with research will perform in some cases as well

Reactions: Fandango Andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts