Question about DAC / preamps

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
So, my Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0 can act as a DAC or preamp. Effectively a DAC with volume controls. I am using it as a DAC connected to a line in on my amplifier.

My question is, what should the volume be set to on the Anti Mode. I had it set to maximum (0db) for a while but it was causing distortion, as if there was too much compression.

So I did a rough level match with another input and the Anti Mode ended up on -15db.

Does this sound right? I'm confused because I effectively have two preamps in the chain. I want to control the volume with my amp of course.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I imagine other DACs that can also be preamps are the same. I always thought the volume should be at 100% but it doesn't seem to work in my case.

SteveR750

I'm not sure which configuration you need, but it's one of these, probably the second, no mention of volume setting.

Connection method 2:

Source(s) output (analog,S/PDIF,USB) -> Anti-Mode 2.0DC input (analog,S/PDIF,USB), Anti-Mode 2.0DC analog out - > Pre-amp analog in ->Power amplifier/active speakers analog in

This connection method is recommended if all the sources can be directly connected to the 3 inputs of the Anti-Mode 2.0DC. The advantage of this method is, that the analog input is fixed instead of variable voltage, which makes it easier to avoid clipping. In this method, one should also consider removing the existing pre-amp from the system completely, and use the Pre-amp and volume controller features of the Anti-Mode 2.0DC instead.

RTEmagicC_ConBasicHub_01.png.png

Using Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core in a system with Integrated amplifier

Integrated amplifiers with separated pre- and power stages behave like a system with separate power amplifiers. Integrated amplifier analog pre-out -> Anti-Mode 2.0DC analog in, Anti-Mode 2.0DC Analog Out -> Integrated amplifier analog pre-in

Integrated amplifiers with tape-loop

Integrated amplifier tape-out -> Anti-Mode 2.0DC analog in -> Anti-Mode 2.0DC Analog Out -> Integrated amplifier tape-in

If the integrated amplifier has neither of above, you can still connect sources directly to the Anti-Mode 2.0DC.

Source(s) -> Anti-Mode 2.0DC inputs (USB,S/PDIF,Analog), Anti-Mode 2.0DC analog out -> Integrated amplifier analog input

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
That's how I understand it too.

The volume control is part of the DSP, so it's not as if you're using two analog volume controls, if that's any reassurance.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I contacted Dspeaker support (who are excellent by the way) and they concur. I should basically set the volume to be whatever I find works. So I have it on -15db as that sound approximately the same as another input I have (a phono stage).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts