Question about Apple TV audio resampling.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I've read that the ATV3 resamples all audio to 48MHz. At what stage does this occur? I'm interested in replacing one of my 3 Airport Expresses with an ATV3 so that I can use the video mirroring on my Samsung TV; the TV would be connected by HDMI. With respect to HiFi audio the ATV3 would be connected to my iMac via Ethernet and Homeplug and to my Arcam rDAC via Toslink. Will this bypass the resampling for my HiFi audio? If it doesn't, does it matter?

J

jcbrum

I don't think it matters.

I have used such a setup personally, and also know of, and have heard, several others using very similar arrangements, using two sets of loudspeakers and a modern TV set, include a Teac reference HiFi stack with passives, as well as active loudspeakers in other rooms.

None of these used Homeplug units, but that's probably not an issue. Personally I don't like ethernet-over-mains wiring much, because of the RF pollution which it generates, but it doesn't affect hifi, only sensitive Radio recievers.

Ashley James of AVI does all the Company loudspeaker demonstrations using Apple equipment distributing music and video. He uses several Airport Express and Apple TV3 units and a Phillips TV set, in several domestic rooms, all using wifi, and controlled by an iPad. Many people have heard his installation and report excellent results.

JC

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

WiFi doesn't work well enough in my house which is why I've opted for wired using Homeplugs. It works really well with the AEX, so I don't why it shouldn't be as good with an ATV3 unless the internals do something different with the digital audio signal.

T

the record spot

I use homeplugs, also the ATV3 connected to my amp and TV and can recommend the sound quality and the ease of use. No issues with interference from the Homeplugs either. No impact, or at least, none that is audible to me.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm off to the Bristol or Reading Apple Store tomorrow to replace my daughters ageing MacBook with a new MacBook Pro so I might take the opportunity to pick up an ATV3 too.

Thanks for the feedback.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I took the plunge and purchased an ATV3 yesterday, but all it not good. I have been using 3 Airport Expresses, each with WiFi turned off and connected to the network using Ethernet and Devolo Homeplugs. The 3 AEs are then connected to the network by Toslink to DAC or AV amp/receiver. With WiFi enabled on the AEs I suffered badly from audio dropout.

I replaced the AE in the main listening room with the ATV3. Connections are toslink to Arcam rDAC and HDMI to Samsung TV. TV all seems OK, but HiFi audio is now suffering terribly from dropouts.

Any ideas as to why?

J

jcbrum

Possibly a router problem, - maybe it can't handle the throughtput required.

I use an Airport Extreme in a WDS (wireless distribiution system) to handle the traffic. I think Ashley does too.

Also, it could be co-channel interference causing the dropouts.

I suggest you identify a clear channel, and reset your router and other devices back to factory spec, then re-configure your network by adding one device at a time.

These links may help . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_system

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4145?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

JC

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ifor said:
I took the plunge and purchased an ATV3 yesterday, but all it not good. I have been using 3 Airport Expresses, each with WiFi turned off and connected to the network using Ethernet and Devolo Homeplugs. The 3 AEs are then connected to the network by Toslink to DAC or AV amp/receiver. With WiFi enabled on the AEs I suffered badly from audio dropout.

I replaced the AE in the main listening room with the ATV3. Connections are toslink to Arcam rDAC and HDMI to Samsung TV. TV all seems OK, but HiFi audio is now suffering terribly from dropouts.

Any ideas as to why?

I had the same trouble with an ATV3 & its replacement. Audio through HDMI was fine but the audio out from the optical kept cutting out. Eventually returned the 2nd sample & got a full refund & carried on using my ATV2 which works perfectly but with only 720p video out. Apple admitted to optical out issues with the ATV3. Whether or not this is just a bad batch or all of them, I don't know.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
ifor said:
I've read that the ATV3 resamples all audio to 48MHz. At what stage does this occur? I'm interested in replacing one of my 3 Airport Expresses with an ATV3 so that I can use the video mirroring on my Samsung TV; the TV would be connected by HDMI. With respect to HiFi audio the ATV3 would be connected to my iMac via Ethernet and Homeplug and to my Arcam rDAC via Toslink. Will this bypass the resampling for my HiFi audio? If it doesn't, does it matter?
hey ifor, unfortunately all your content will still be resampled to 48 khz before it reaches the dac. The dac then upsamples or resamples it accordingly.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm fairly sure I've sorted it. I had forgotten I had put the iMac into WiFi mode (Airport On) because I had needed it's ethernet connection for another computer.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
ifor said:

After several weeks getting nowhere with Apple Tech Support, I believe I have now got the bottom of this frustrating problem. It's not good. The Arcam rDAC doesn't support 48KHz via optical.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts