Quality of the grammar

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

First of all I would like to mention before my rant that I am in no way an expert on the English language, grammar or spelling. But from a magazine such as your good selves, I would expect a very high if not nigh-on perfect grasp of English grammar.

Over the past 7 or 8 months I have seen the quality of the grammar in each issue steadily decline. It has moved on from just missing words at the end of a sentence (where I guess your DTP guy took his eye off the ball) to whole sentences now that just don't make sense or where the grammar is deplorable.

I do enjoy the content of the mag, but my joy is being stretched thin now as I have to continuously turn a blind eye to lazy writing, or the lazy person who is "qualified" to check the article writing for grammar/spelling mistakes/missing words etc etc etc...

Sorry to moan but this is really getting on my wick!

Mr.H

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Do you have any specific examples of poor grammar? I can't say that I've noticed any decline in the magazine's standard.
I have noticed the odd place where a word or two has been missed out due to layout issues and maybe other minor mistakes here and there, but no more than I would expect from a magazine published 13 times a year. You must appreciate the timescales involved here, it is simply unreasonable to expect perfection.

A

Anonymous

I agree totally with Mr H.

The timescales for production of these magazines is ludicrously tight (having dabbled with a career at Future Publishing I know this first hand) so you just have to cut the team some slack.

Missing words is often "just" a layout problem which isn't picked up during the production run and is only discovered once the magazine is on the shelves.

Now if it ever deteriorates to the standard of "Txt-spk" then I'm with you all the way. But at the moment, there are more important things to get wound up about.

So for the moment, lighten up. Put a DVD on and have a biscuit.

A

Anonymous

..."have a biscuit"...LOL (sorry "txt spk").

I understand the problems involved but if no-one complains then how can they improve?

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts