Quad 909

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
With a few more days of listening under my belt (and running in, if that actually exists with SS amps), I've noticed an interesting result; I've started listening to everything at a slightly higher volume level. Not crazy loud, but maybe 20% louder than was typical prior to using the Quad. I've never been a "bring down the house" loud music listener, but I do like to turn up the juice occassionally, but overall, I'm finding that slightly louder volumes are very satisfying with this Quad amp.

What I'm not sure about is why this is occurring. It's not that the amp has less detail. The detail is clean, crisp and dynamic. In fact, everything sounds fantastic.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear you're enjoying it fella, the volume always goes up when kit sounds sweet.
Did you see my reply to your cdp woes?

A

Anonymous

I've found that too as I've slowly upgraded. I think in part it's because the sound stays together at higher volumes and you get less distortion.

Off topic, we've just bought a new house now that I've spent the last two years getting the hifi right; hope it sounds OK in the new lounge!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:I've found that too as I've slowly upgraded. I think in part it's because the sound stays together at higher volumes and you get less distortion. Off topic, we've just bought a new house now that I've spent the last two years getting the hifi right; hope it sounds OK in the new lounge!

Congrats...I hope this won't mean a do-over for your hi-fi...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
taxiboy:Glad to hear you're enjoying it fella, the volume always goes up when kit sounds sweet. Did you see my reply to your cdp woes?

Yes, thanks for the feedback. I'm working with NAD now.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree - Although actually the quad is so much clearer I could listen more quietly if I chose to!

I think its because my old cambridge kit got a bit shrill and shrieky when turned up whereas this sound just holds together sweetly

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 909 is a cracking amp, and capable of driving speakers way above what it should do - I'm sure you'll be happy with it for many years.....or until you decide to add another one
emotion-2.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The 909 is a cracking amp, and capable of driving speakers way above what it should do - I'm sure you'll be happy with it for many years.....or until you decide to add another one
emotion-2.gif

Thanks... Do you think the 909 could drive the ATC SCM40s? The poster child for hard to drive speakers?

Not that I'm going to buy them, I was just curious what your thougths are on how good this amp is...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Actually this interests me. Why the imperative to seek out hard to drive speakers when there are so many excellent speakers that are much easier loads and capable of sounding just as good?

jaxwired:

FrankHarveyHiFi:The 909 is a cracking amp, and capable of driving speakers way above what it should do - I'm sure you'll be happy with it for many years.....or until you decide to add another one
emotion-2.gif

Thanks... Do you think the 909 could drive the ATC SCM40s? The poster child for hard to drive speakers?

Not that I'm going to buy them, I was just curious what your thougths are on how good this amp is...

Hi JW

I hope you will not mind me answering this but the 909 is more than capable of driving the ATC's SCM40 speakers. We've sold ATC speakers to Quad owners and have also tested a 909 (with a NAD C160) with all the ATC Entry Series models at low, moderate and high levels (for long periods) and yet the 909 did not miss a beat.

Btw, i am yet to hear the new NAD C165BEE. Did you ever compare it to the C160/C162? If so, how does it differ?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:We've sold ATC speakers to Quad owners and have also tested a 909 (with a NAD C160) with all the ATC Entry Series models at low, moderate and high levels (for long periods) and yet the 909 did not miss a beat.

Btw, i am yet to hear the new NAD C165BEE. Did you ever compare it to the C160/C162? If so, how does it differ?

Unfortunately, I can't provide any insight on how the C165 compares to eariear versions. I never used the earlier models. I can tell you that before getting the QUAD, I tried the C165 as a front-end for my NAD integrated amp and there was a noticable improvement in over-all detail and clarity. Based on my research the C165 is an excellent pre-amp and a bargain even at the new price. It also looks much nicer in the new updated color with the blue LEDs glowing. Matches the blue LED on the QUAD nicely. I'm very happy with it and have no plans to change this component for a long time. I take it you like the NAD pre also?

chebby:

Actually this interests me. Why the imperative to seek out hard to drive speakers when there are so many excellent speakers that are much easier loads and capable of sounding just as good?

I'm not really seeking out hard to drive speakers, I was just curious if the QUAD 909 would allow me to entertain pretty much any speaker in future upgrades.

jaxwired:MUSICRAFT:We've sold ATC speakers to Quad owners and have also tested a 909 (with a NAD C160) with all the ATC Entry Series models at low, moderate and high levels (for long periods) and yet the 909 did not miss a beat.

Unfortunately, I can't provide any insight on how the C165 compares to eariear versions. I never used the earlier models. I can tell you that before getting the QUAD, I tried the C165 as a front-end for my NAD integrated amp and there was a noticable improvement in over-all detail and clarity. Based on my research the C165 is an excellent pre-amp and a bargain even at the new price. It also looks much nicer in the new updated color with the blue LEDs glowing. Matches the blue LED on the QUAD nicely. I'm very happy with it and have no plans to change this component for a long time. I take it you like the NAD pre also?

chebby:

I'm not really seeking out hard to drive speakers, I was just curious if the QUAD 909 would allow me to entertain pretty much any speaker in future upgrades.

Hi jw

Thanks for your reply.

My experience is based around the C160/C162 and these are cracking products and can punch well above their weight. So yes i am fond of NAD's budget pre-amps (as they tend to work well with many components) and from what you say the C165BEE is also excellent. I look forward to hearing one.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts