Sub advice

Jon Dunlop

Jul 14, 2023
Visit site
I am enjoying my Monitor Audio Silver 50 7G speakers and am considering a subwoofer to fill out the low end. Can anyone recommend a suitable model. I use a Marantz amp and listen to a little vinyl, occasional cds and mostly streamed hires music - generally classical.

Thanks

Jon

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Budget?
Room dimensions (including ceiling height)?
Is the room sealed or open to other areas?
What exact amplifier are you using?
Would you be open to multiple subwoofers?
Are aesthetics/size important to you?
Would you be happy to run long cables if necessary, or go wireless with subwoofers?

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Jon,

I will recommend to look on "home" Monitor Audio subwoofers. You may take SW Silver W12. This is not cheap but very good, very good amp and high quality bass trnsducer. At home I use two Velodyne SPL 800, one per channel. Having good SW, you may later upgrade speakers but keep SW, like me.😉Juraj

Reactions: Jon Dunlop

Jon Dunlop

Jul 14, 2023
Visit site
Budget?
Room dimensions (including ceiling height)?
Is the room sealed or open to other areas?
What exact amplifier are you using?
Would you be open to multiple subwoofers?
Are aesthetics/size important to you?
Would you be happy to run long cables if necessary, or go wireless with subwoofers?
The room is sealed, and about 5m x 4m, ceiling is just under 3m high. My amp is a Marantz nr1200. Budget is flexible but would ideally be sub £1k. Aesthetics are important. I don’t want cables crossing the room.

daytona600

4x5M very small room for deep bass
20 Hz is 56.5′feet wave & will not fit into your room The answer is that it does not and never will.

4-5metre room Anything under 70/80hz will require expensive room treatments or DSP/Dirac

Witterings

It's not a big room and possibly doesn't need one but if you want to try something to see what difference it makes I'd look at either a REL TZero or one of the entry level BKelectronics subs, both are quite music rather than movie centric and often come up on fleabay 2nd hand.

You could try it and see if the difference in your room is worthwhile or not and if you don't like it wouldn't lose much if you resold it.

I have a room that probably doesn't need a sub but I do run one and it makes a difference and gives a fuller / richer overall sound but I have to be careful not to turn it up too much.

In terms of the simplest set up, you want to adjust the sub crossover to about 10Hz above your speakers lowest level, turn the sub's volume up until you can clearly hear it / separate it from the mains then slowly ease it back to the point you think it's just disappeared.

Listen to the system like that for 10 mins and then just switch the sub off and you should notice it's gone, it's not there to compete with your main speakers and if you can clearly separate it from them it's too loud.

TRENDING THREADS