Stirling Broadcast BBC LS3/6 Ltd Edition Reference Loudspeakers

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I am currently using these with my Hegel amplifier, CCA, VdH cabling.

Stirling LS3/6

Lovely precision, dynamics and coherence.

Music 'pours' out of the speakers. Large sweet spot and without doubt the best high frequencies I have ever heard.

Sound has none of the artificial brightness/hardness of so many speakers but the tweeter and super tweeters just effortlessly resolve the finest filigree detail. Kind of hard to explain but I guess an apt description would be 'very sweet' ... .

A couple of examples; The Sheffield drum solo sounds real/in-room and explodes from the speakers. Roscoe Mitchell's chaotic but delicate playing is as far as I'm concerned ... perfect. Absolute soundstage precision with depth, height and width. Great clear and elastic bass. Speach (BBC Radio) is gorgeous when the station allows it.

Truly wonderful speakers. Grown up LS3/5a's with balls. Similar to larger Harbeth's. Massive difference in playback quality from my previous Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo's and Kef LS50 Meta Wireless.

Perhaps some of the credit should go to the Hegel. It is one reason I have returned to the brand after a small absence. Not taking anything away from my other amplifiers which continue to delight me in the other system taking their turns.

Downsides ... they are large 'bookshelf' speakers, need to be on stands and are of slightly modest sensitivity. The 95 drives them louder than I can tolerate but I am sure they could scale further with suitable, expensive amplification. Good thing is they also sound sublime at lower volumes, my preferred listening. - I have them listed for sale but am now considering keeping them. Going back to my other speakers will not be the same ... .

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

Very nice.

I'd really like to hear a set of these, and perhaps side-by-side them on the end of my amp at the same time as my Harbeth M30's.

Reactions: RoA
How are you getting on with them NP? I can see a Hypex Class D amplifier if I'm not mistaken?
They were only on loan for a week, and yes it’s the Nord in my signature in use. I recently bought some almost unused Sonus faber Guarneri speakers. Trying to decide what amplifier might be best for them without spending a fortune - they’re often paired with McIntosh or Audio Research valves. Tempted by a Copland but that’s another story.

The Italians are a bit prettier!

View: https://imgur.com/GGVvYwA

Reactions: Al ears and RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Very nice! Yes, italians do style :)

I just found that Class D doesn't quite do it for me yet as things stand but I haven't tried the latest Purify modules.

An AR woyld look gorgeous with those ...

I love small, slim and unobtrusive Hifi so the Stirlings do no really fit in that brief. Surprisingly my partner thinks they look nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
Very nice! Yes, italians do style :)

I just found that Class D doesn't quite do it for me yet as things stand but I haven't tried the latest Purify modules.

An AR woyld look gorgeous with those ...

I love small, slim and unobtrusive Hifi so the Stirlings do no really fit in that brief. Surprisingly my partner thinks they look nice.
Your cabinets are an unusual finish. Is that what they call Zebrano?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Funny that, the super tweeter comes in at a frequency where I can barely hear anything these days.

Not so sure about the quoted sensitivity of 87 db/w. Seems lower than that which is no problem even with the little Hegel though.

Last edited:
Funny that, the super tweeter comes in at a frequency where I can barely hear anything these days.

Not so sure about the quoted sensitivity of 87 db/w. Seems lower than that which is no problem even with the little Hegel though.
I believe a super tweeter was originally chosen because the tweeter then used in the BBC design - it might have been the Celestion HF1300 - petered out above about 13kHz. Its therefore extended the upper range. However, today it’s not really necessary with many modern tweeters, but the design has been retained, just as it has on the similar Harbeth SHL5 series.

Reactions: RoA

TRENDING THREADS