QUAD 77 Quadlink Question

KEFQuadMan

Jul 31, 2022
Visit site
I live in the US, and I have a Quad 77 Integrated Amplifier at 120v/50-60Hz. Could I purchase a european CD player and hook it up to the Quadlink and be OK? I do not have my magazines from the '90s on me currently, so I can't reference the details regarding the quad link features, including voltage from one unit to another. My suspicion is that I would be OK. there is no power cord on the back of the CD player, just the Quadlink, so I would think there couldn't be THAT much voltage passing through the units. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Gray

My suspicion is that I would be OK.
Mine too.
I own a Quad, but never heard of Quadlink. Having just seen what it looks like - I would expect only low DC voltage(s) - and the same voltage level, regardless of the AC mains supply.

You talk of a European CD player though.
If it uses the Quadlink only for power - they wouldn't need to specify a region would they?

Full details (hopefully) via Bill's own Quad link above 👍

Reactions: KEFQuadMan
Mine too.
I own a Quad, but never heard of Quadlink. Having just seen what it looks like - I would expect only low DC voltage(s) - and the same voltage level, regardless of the AC mains supply.

You talk of a European CD player though.
If it uses the Quadlink only for power - they wouldn't need to specify a region would they?

Full details (hopefully) via Bill's own Quad link above 👍
Not sure how you would actually run a CD player in anything less than mains voltage, could be wrong

Gray

Not sure how you would actually run a CD player in anything less than mains voltage, could be wrong
...the only reason that any of our components are mains powered, is really just because our houses are.
Within all of them, the mains is stepped down and converted (rectified) to the lower DC voltages that supply amps, motors, DACs, you name it.

Think about those stack systems where ribbon cables link every separate component.
Mains enters, usually the amp only, where it becomes the low DC voltages - carried by the ribbon cable to TT, CDP, tuner etc.
The ribbon also carries signal and control lines....and (I think) this 'Quadlink' is the equivalent of the ribbon cable.

...the only reason that any of our components are mains powered, is really just because our houses are.
Within all of them, the mains is stepped down and converted (rectified) to the lower DC voltages that supply amps, motors, DACs, you name it.

Think about those stack systems where ribbon cables link every separate component.
Mains enters, usually the amp only, where it becomes the low DC voltages - carried by the ribbon cable to TT, CDP, tuner etc.
The ribbon also carries signal and control lines....and (I think) this 'Quadlink' is the equivalent of the ribbon cable.
You could be right, I simply assumed that it might be better if you created a stack of all night run off a 12 volt supply but something in that stack must take mains voltage to start with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts