QED Vector

kc4751

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
After many years of superb service, [Feeding a Naim Nap 110 and original JBL control 1 speakers]

this unit has developed a fault.So now, I am looking for a new pre-amp,[ remote control would be nice....but not obligatory]

As this setup is only connected to my computer, for listening to "background music" whilst surfing,

Can anybody suggest a good replacement ? [I could use my spare Naim Nac 12c,] but don't really want too.

Any/all suggestions welcome....thankyou.

John Duncan

Couple of options - Creek passive preamp (OBH22 springs to mind) which has remote, but seeing as it's for the pooter, I think you should look at a Beresford 7520, which acts as a preamp and a DAC in one. The Fubar range from Firestone might also have something suitable.

John Duncan

the Creek's about 300 quid (though that one is their top of the range, i think), the beresford is £150, available from his own site here, the Fubars are on Russ Andrews' site I think, but they vary wildly in price depending on what you want to do with them.

kc4751

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, just "did a google" as suggested. Food for thought here, Over specked for the application to be used for.........

but, may consider the Creek. Is anything else out there that could be recomended?

[Sorry to be such a PITA on the forum]

John Duncan

No probs. I disagree however that the Beresford's overspecced (though if you;re just talking about numbers of inputs, Fubar's worth a look), since if you're plugging your PC into a Naim I think that getting an offboard DAC like the Beresford is a great way to up the quality enormously.

That aside, if you're just looking for a small passive preamp there aren't that many around - Creek are past masters at it and NVA (Nene Valley Audio) do some - only available on eBay but excellent returns and upgrade policy. Other than that, nothing springing to mind immediately from the big makers, though there'll certainly be the odd "top quality volume control" available on the 'bay, made in somebody's shed.

A

Anonymous

Hi! I saw your post regarding the QED Vector. I still own the QED Vector Reference. The set is now "unuseable" because the remote control is not working. I hope you can assist me in sourcing a replacement remote control. I have contacted QED itself and was advised they do not have anymore since the unit is already more than 15 years old. This unit is rare in my country (Malaysia).

Your assistance appreciated. Any suggestion is also welcome.

Thank you.

Mohd Hariri Mohd Ariffin

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have a QED Vector with a working remote which I have just cloned (in case of failure) to a 'One For All' universal remote unit. The replacement works just as well as the original.

If all the QED remote units are tuned the same the it would be a pleasure to get you up and running again by copying my remote commands to another unit and posting it to you. You would need to confirm with QED that the units are all the same first though.

I bought the 'One For All' here in the Uk for £10. Plus postage and packing you could be up and running fairly cheaply.

My direct email is mail@yumyums.plus.com

Hope this helps

Dave Pearson

TRENDING THREADS