Replacement for 13 yr old Audiolab 8000S Amplifier

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone, could use some advice on possible replacement of my beloved 8000S. I have always loved the amp, with any source it just faithfully reproduces what is there, without adding much or taking much away, which is pretty much what I like in my systems - I just want to hear the music.

The main problem with the 8000S is that the RCA connections are starting to break up (I mean literally break up, the "inside bit" is actually falling inside the amp) meaning that I only have 3 inputs working now, so I've had to resort to a cheapo source switch box off ebay to connect laptop/ipod/xbox 360/soundbridge/phono stage to the tuner input - not ideal, and must be crucifying the sound. But, as is often the case, other things take priotity. However, I happened to be in my local electrical retailers today with Mrs Alex looking at new cookers, when I noticed in the Sound & Vision section that they have a Creek Evo Integrated at under £300... Now, I'm assuming this would be the original not Mk 2 version (I'll check tomorrow) but even so, that seems like a very good deal. They've got a sale on, so other bargains, but this was the one that stuck out, as I've aways liked Creek kit, and it is very minimalist.

So, option 1, £300 - Creek Evo Integrated Amp. I haven't got £300 to spend really, but it just seems a "right place right time" kind of deal that I may have to tell the Missus she has to spend less on a cooker...
emotion-4.gif

Or, the other option I've been persuing is to look at a Beresford 7520 DAC - connect the Laptop, Xbox and Soundbridge to that, (maybe the CD player too, though I'd be surprised if it would sound better) - think I would still have a spare input for the Phono stage and Video through the switch box (very rarely use either, these days.) This would improve the computer music/games setup, but probably not my Marantz SA7001 KI Signature CD player. I suppose I could also consider running the Beresford as a preamp into the 8000S, and swap modes when listening to the DAC connected sources? Which brings me on to Option 3...

Which would be to try and find a cheap(ish) 2nd hand preamp on ebay or similar - only caveat being that I would want remote control - and then connect that up to the 8000S and just use it as a power amp. Or, maybe buy another 8000S, use the existing one as a power amp, and bi-amp to my speakers (Accoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 floorstanders, with QED Silver Anniversary)?

Or, does anyone else have another suggestions? As I said, I don't really have a budget as it was only a whim (although I was hankering to try a Beresford, which could actually be stage 2 later on if I went with the Creek) but I reckon SWMBO would probably let me spend about £300 in the "I want a new cooker" circumstances!
emotion-1.gif

Any ideas or observations gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

Alex_UK:
The main problem with the 8000S is that the RCA connections are starting to break up (I mean literally break up, the "inside bit" is actually falling inside the amp) meaning that I only have 3 inputs working now, so I've had to resort to a cheapo source switch box off ebay to connect laptop/ipod/xbox 360/soundbridge/phono stage to the tuner input - not ideal, and must be crucifying the sound.

Any ideas or observations gratefully received.

If you are still happy with the 8000S it may be worth getting it repaired. If it is only the connector problem, this could be due to a break down of the solder "dry joints" this would be fairly straight forward for any electronic technician to repair.

A

Anonymous

Why not just get a replacement 8000S?

Even though RRP is £500, you can source them a lot cheaper, for example about £250 NEW from Superfi.

Some will query the build quality since they are now coming from China, but i've had one for 3 years now (previously had the 8000A), and have had no issues. The only slight reduction in quality seems to be the speaker connections which are a bit tacky, but apart from that it's fine. Soundwise maybe even a bit more rhythmic (agile bass) than the older equipment.

A

Anonymous

You are, ofcourse, correct. My boss was hovvering around by my desk and for some reason he takes a dim view of internet usage when I should be working - hence the misspelling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts