QED Genesis Silver Spiral or Tellurium Black 2 ?

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Decided to upgrade my Real Cable 3mm x 2 that I am currently using with my Audiolab 6000A
For the moment the speakers are Epos Elan 10
What's your experience with these speaker cables ?

robdmarsh

Real Cable 3mm x 2
What the **** are these? Never heard of them.
Keep it down low asking about cables round these parts. But if you do think they make a difference, and I do, I've found Audioquest rocket 11 to be a pretty good and not costly upgrade for my system. £12.50 a meter I believe, but flexible (I mean easy to manage round corners) with a punchy yet untiring sound. Chord clearway X were also very good but a little bit smoother and less suited to my set up and tastes, also a bit more expensive at £16 a meter.

Last edited:

abacus

Just a rip off, the ones you have are fine. (Any difference will be purely placebo)
Don’t be conned by Hi-Fi cable manufactures, just stick to what professional music and movie studios use. (Standard OFC copper)

Bill

Reactions: WayneKerr

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
What the **** are these? Never heard of them.
Keep it down low asking about cables round these parts. But if you do think they make a difference, and I do, I've found Audioquest rocket 11 to be a pretty good and not costly upgrade for my system. £12.50 a meter I believe, but flexible with a punchy yet untiring sound. Chord clearway X were also very good but a little bit smoother and less suited to my set up and tastes, also a bit more expensive at £16 a meter.
French OC copper cables that I am using in the last 15 years or so 0,75 E/meter .Not bad.

robdmarsh

Ok, I'm sure they're not bad. Can you order some other cables to try at home? Here we can order equal lengths to try and if we hear no difference, no problem, they can just be returned.... (which is kind of an argument against those "cables are all snake oil" people above)

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'm sure they're not bad. Can you order some other cables to try at home? Here we can order equal lengths to try and if we hear no difference, no problem, they can just be returned.... (which is kind of an argument against those "cables are all snake oil" people above)
That's what I'm going to do !

Both of these look a bit extravagant with your Audiolab amp. The Tellurium seems to be about £56/metre which is more than I’d pay for my system, unless it was something really special like Yter or Siltech.

As long as you can try and return, by all means have a go. But remove and reinsert your old cable first, in case the plugs need a bit of a ‘refresh’!

Decided to upgrade my Real Cable 3mm x 2 that I am currently using with my Audiolab 6000A
For the moment the speakers are Epos Elan 10
What's your experience with these speaker cables ?
I wouldn't. TQ Black are best used in a high end system. Your Audiolab/Epos are considered more budget-friendly components.

For good alternative speaker cable, should you want to waste your money, is my Atlas Equator 2.0.

Gray

...and my Audioquest jacket blends into the carpet colour 👍

Nobody can deny real differences between cable.....outer sheathing colours.

(Over on another forum, someone has asked for people's experience of fuse performance - stating that he wants positive comments only 🤨
Another commented that it 'should be a short thread')

Dom

I asked ChatGPT about mains cables, speaker cables and fuses, its responses were eye opening.

Mains cables :
  1. Voltage and amperage requirements: The cable must be rated for the voltage and amperage that the equipment requires.
  2. Length of the cable: The length of the cable will impact the voltage drop, so the manufacturer must choose a cable that is the right length for their equipment.
  3. Cable thickness: Thicker cables can handle higher currents, but are also more expensive. The manufacturer must balance the trade-off between cost and performance.
  4. Shielding: The cable must have adequate shielding to reduce electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio-frequency interference (RFI) that could degrade the audio quality.
Manufacturers measure the electrical characteristics of a mains cable, such as its resistance, capacitance, and inductance, to determine its impact on the performance of their equipment. This can be done through various test methods such as time domain reflectometry (TDR), high-frequency impedance testing, and vector network analysis. The measurements are used to determine how well the cable will transmit the AC power from the wall socket to the equipment, and how it will affect the electrical signals passing through it. The goal is to choose a cable that will provide stable and clean power to the equipment, and minimize any adverse effects on the audio quality.

Speaker cables : Different speaker cables can affect the sound quality of your audio system in several ways, including its ability to transfer electrical signals from your amplifier to your speakers accurately and without loss or degradation of quality. The resistance and capacitance of the cable can alter the signal and impact the frequency response, which can result in a less accurate representation of the audio source. The choice of speaker cable can also have an impact on the overall volume and clarity of the sound. While using a different speaker cable may not cause obvious distortion or bad sound quality in every case, the right cable can improve the overall sound quality of your system.

Fuses : Fuses of different brands may have different specifications and construction techniques, which can lead to differences in their electrical characteristics and affect the sound quality. Some factors that could contribute to the difference in sound quality include the type of metal used in the fuse, the temperature coefficient, the resistance, and the manufacturing process.

So there it is and its not placebo after all. (y)

Gray

This chat GPT thing seems (a bit too) popular right now Dom - it's doing school homework for kids - you can tell it to write essays in the style of, say, a 13 year old, including grammatical errors to make things look real 🤨
But it only 'knows' what it's been told to say - based on the sort of inaccuracies that are all over the place (look at some of the replies on this forum - that's the sort of thing that's teaching it).
God help us all when it spouts the fuse bollocks as fact.....what else does it get wrong?

Dom

Its true that ChatGPT get's facts wrong, I have read it myself in its answers. However, I feel we have entered a sort of data age where computers are used as research tools. Its better now than it ever has been.

As for school work, well it means nothing in the exam room if the kid's haven't learned anything. :unsure:

Gray

Its true that ChatGPT get's facts wrong, I have read it myself in its answers. However, I feel we have entered a sort of data age where computers are used as research tools. Its better now than it ever has been.

As for school work, well it means nothing in the exam room if the kid's haven't learned anything. :unsure:
Ask it to say precisely how 'some factors could contribute to the difference in sound quality' of fuses - as it wisely advises.
We could all learn something from that....I don't think 😉

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts