Wharfedale Linton Heritage compared with the Monitor Audio Silver 100 7g ?

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
...For a small-medium room ?
Somehow curious shape of the room ...Take a 3.3m x 6m .At 4.5 m there is an incomplete separation wall of almost 2m wich partially delimits the living and listening area . The stands/speakers are in front of a back opened library sitting on the long wall ( distance from the wall almost 1m ) . Distance to the listening place ( couch on the opposite long wall), around 2 m
Amplifier Audiolab 6000A.
I am looking for large airy , precise soundstage big scale if possible , great voices of course , but a bass deep enough , rich precise , big . Warmth welcomed.
I am listening a lot of various music , from Beethoven piano concertos to Pink floyd and from Gerry Mulligan to Genesis . Wit a bit of George Michael and Diana Krall ....
My Epos Elan 10 are very good but clearly need a bit more weight in down there . And don't want sub any more.

Somehow curious shape of the room ...Take a 3.3m x 6m .At 4.5 m there is an incomplete separation wall of almost 2m wich partially delimits the living and listening area . The stands/speakers are in front of a back opened library sitting on the long wall ( distance from the wall almost 1m ) . Distance to the listening place ( couch on the opposite long wall), around 2 m
I am looking for large airy , precise soundstage big scale if possible , great voices of course , but a bass deep enough , rich precise , big . Warmth welcomed.
I am listening a lot of various music , from Beethoven piano concertos to Pink floyd and from Gerry Mulligan to Genesis . Wit a bit of George Michael and Diana Krall ....
My Epos Elan 10 are very good but clearly need a bit more weight in down there . And don't want sub any more.
Unfortunately big soundstage and deep bass generally requires a big speaker not smallish standmounts.
So out of your two, I would take the Wharfedales
Try slim floorstanders?

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately big soundstage and deep bass generally requires a big speaker not smallish standmounts.
So out of your two, I would take the Wharfedales
Try slim floorstanders?
Hello , Ears ! :)
Thanks for your reply ! I was curious if bass delivery of the Silver 100 due to the larger cabinet and especially the 8'' midwoofer comes close to the Wharfes

Not sure the Lintons will be airy. Can't say for sure, but if the smaller Denton 80th are anything to by, they lacked transparency.

Personally find the aesthetics of the Lintons too imposing. The only way to know for sure is to demo the two.

If you're looking for relative bass depth then Dali Oberon 5 would be worth trying.

Reactions: Al ears

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Seems the 8'' woofers Silvers 100 have a really stunning bass for standmounts .
I am curious if there is somebody that heard both the Silver 100 g7 and the Lintons

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm a big MA fanboy, but when I demoed the Gold 100 earlier this year I liked them.... but didn't love them.

You really need to demo. It's a faff but worthwhile long-term IMHO.
Yep...allways the most reliable method ,I knew that allready .
Very intriguing , I found only several reviews on the Silver 100 g7 ...
Seems to me that the fans of the MA are mainly interessed in the floorstanders . And probably more in the Bronze series
The closest showroom for me is at 500 KM . And I can't take my room with me :LOL:

Yep...allways the most reliable method ,I knew that allready .
Very intriguing , I found only several reviews on the Silver 100 g7 ...
Seems to me that the fans of the MA are mainly interessed in the floorstanders . And probably more in the Bronze series
The closest showroom for me is at 500 KM . And I can't take my room with me :LOL:
I've always rated the older silver models. I still have a pair of RS6s. For the age and relative affordability, they still cut the mustard.

Can't see why the new 7g shouldn't work with the new Audiolab, from what I've observed from @RoA

How they compare to the Wharfedales, I couldn't say for sure.

matthewpianist

I've owned both the Silver 100 7g and the Lintons, and I'd suggest neither will give you what you are seeking.

I found the Silvers to be boomy and smeared sounding, and this was with lots of experimentation in positioning. I found them very disappointing, and I've previously enjoyed their speakers.

The Wharfedales are much better balanced, but they won't give you the airy top-end sparkle you are asking for, and they need plenty of space before they start to open up.

The Dali Oberon 5s would be a good one for your audition list, and I'd also suggest the Focal Chora 806 - a large standpoint with everything you are asking for. The Focal are also excellent at all volumes levels and very easy to drive. Audition with your amplifier and, if possible, in your room to make sure you get the right speakers.

Reactions: manicm

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I've owned both the Silver 100 7g and the Lintons, and I'd suggest neither will give you what you are seeking.

I found the Silvers to be boomy and smeared sounding, and this was with lots of experimentation in positioning. I found them very disappointing, and I've previously enjoyed their speakers.

The Wharfedales are much better balanced, but they won't give you the airy top-end sparkle you are asking for, and they need plenty of space before they start to open up.

The Dali Oberon 5s would be a good one for your audition list, and I'd also suggest the Focal Chora 806 - a large standpoint with everything you are asking for. The Focal are also excellent at all volumes levels and very easy to drive. Audition with your amplifier and, if possible, in your room to make sure you get the right speakers.
Thank you , very interesting and useful answer , wich opens some new directions for me .

Reactions: matthewpianist

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Did you listened both the Oberon 5 and the Lintons ?
The O5 seems interesting by the dimensions , price and the sound quality that many seems to admire . Are they at least close to the Lintons in sound quality ? Shure , they sound different . But it seems to me curious how such small enclosures can produce a big , full sound ...But I am very tempted ... The volume and weight of the Lintons are a bit desarming.
that's why I first ly thought at the Silvers 100
I'm interessed especially if the Dalis are working well with symphonic music

Last edited:
Did you listened both the Oberon 5 and the Lintons ?
The O5 seems interesting by the dimensions , price and the sound quality that many seems to admire . Are they at least close to the Lintons in sound quality ? Shure , they sound different . But it seems to me curious how such small enclosures can produce a big , full sound ...But I am very tempted ... The volume and weight of the Lintons are a bit desarming.
that's why I first ly thought at the Silvers 100
I'm interessed especially if the Dalis are working well with symphonic music
Dali seem to seek out big bass, same as my tiny Rubicon 2. They sound bigger than they have right to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts