Punk/New Wave CD?

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Fella's, I have a gaping Punk/New Wave hole in my collection. I've trawled through pages on Amazon but there are just so many reviews it's hard to judge what would be a good stab so I'm looking around for some advice regarding a decent compilation CD, or two. I was never an avid follower of the Punk/New Wave scene in the 70's so I've forgotten most of the bands names that were around then but some spring to mind: The Clash, Stranglers, The Damned and the like. I've got most of Blondie's output already.

From people of a like mind any ideas?

DougK said:
Fella's, I have a gaping Punk/New Wave hole in my collection. I've trawled through pages on Amazon but there are just so many reviews it's hard to judge what would be a good stab so I'm looking around for some advice regarding a decent compilation CD, or two. I was never an avid follower of the Punk/New Wave scene in the 70's so I've forgotten most of the bands names that were around then but some spring to mind: The Clash, Stranglers, The Damned and the like. I've got most of Blondie's output already.

From people of a like mind any ideas?

Hi Doug

Like you I wasn't a big Punk fan per se, but New Wave was far more appealling. I'll list a few albums you can try:

The Jam - Setting Sons

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

Squeeze - East Side Story

Dexy's - Geno

The Alarm - Declaration

Joe Jackson - I'm The Man

Just few to start the ball rolling.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Mr. Penguin's list is a good one, but you could do worse than try these:

"The Best Punk Album in the World...Ever" for Punk

"The Sound of the Suburbs" for New Wave

Both have a good few "Anthems" on the CD. If you like them, then follow your ears to find a broader selection.

Before you know where you are, you will be after a New Romantic compilation next.

Happy listening!!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Shudders at how long ago this all was....

Anything by New Order or Joy Division.

Anything by The Damned, The Stranglers, The Clash, Souxsie and the Banshees, Dead Kennedys, Ian Dury and The Blockheads, Squeeze, The Smiths, Echo and The Bunnymen, The Cure, New York Dolls, The Ramones, Billy Bragg (if you're a Corbyn fan), KirstyMcColl, The Pogues, The Men They Couldn't Hang, Psychedilc Furrs, B-52s, ......

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Google "New Wave bands" and "punk bands" and click on the Wiki links for lists of bands.

From a hi-fi perspective, it's pleasantly surprising how well recorded and mastered a lot of releases from that era were.

Albums like Joe Jackson's Look Sharp are not only well recorded, they also have a great set of songs.

lindsayt said:
Google "New Wave bands" and "punk bands" and click on the Wiki links for lists of bands.

From a hi-fi perspective, it's pleasantly surprising how well recorded and mastered a lot of releases from that era were.

Albums like Joe Jackson's Look Sharp are not only well recorded, they also have a great set of songs.

Just bought my brother The Clash 'Sandanista' for Christmas. It's a very good album from them.

D

Deleted member 108165

Cheers fella's, wasn't sure if I would get much response with this so many thanks to all, this is great. I was more into disco/funk/soul back in the 70's so this genre didn't really appeal, but over the years you realise that there's some really good music to be found here.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
The Buzzcocks - love Bites and A Different Kitchen.
Adam and the Ants - Dirk Wears White Sox.
Undertones - Self Titled.
X Ray Specs - Fluorescent Adolescent.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Spotify is your answer. Type in Punk or New Wave and see what comes up, particularly Playlists.

My 2p's worth, the first two Stranglers albums have stood the test of time I reckon, plus the first 3 Ramones albums are a must. Hey ho, let's go!

D

Deleted member 108165

Don't do spotify I'm afraid, good ol' CD's and LP's are my only sources, plus a handful of downloads.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
jmjones said:

Both have a good few "Anthems" on the CD. If you like them, then follow your ears to find a broader selection.

Before you know where you are, you will be after a New Romantic compilation next.

Happy listening!!
Both great compilations, I'd recommend them too

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DougK said:
Don't do spotify I'm afraid, good ol' CD's and LP's are my only sources, plus a handful of downloads.
Well, you've got a NA7004, you should try it and find out what you like and what you don't. In the big scheme of things £9.99 pm for Spotify Premium is still my best purchase to date. It's cost me a lot over the years with all the CDs I've bought off the back of it, but also it's saved me even more by checking out and then rejecting lots of potential buys. .

D

Deleted member 108165

DIB said:
Well, you've got a NA7004, you should try it and find out what you like and what you don't. In the big scheme of things £9.99 pm for Spotify Premium is still my best purchase to date. It's cost me a lot over the years with all the CDs I've bought off the back of it, but also it's saved me even more by checking out and then rejecting lots of potential buys. .

Had never really thought about it like that. I've got the kit in place so I may just look into Spotify *good*

D

Deleted member 108165

jmjones said:

Happy listening!!

Cheers. These seem to get the thumbs-up so have just ordered Vols 1&2 of The Best Punk Album and Sounds Of The Suburbs, all used copies so very cheap indeed. Looking forward to giving them a spin before I delve further into the other excellent recommendations.

I've already got the New Romantics covered *biggrin* Plus MOS Electronic 80's releases.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Sham 69's Borstal breakout is a punk classic. The Ruts are great punk band as are The Lurkers and everyone should have some Siouxsie and the Banshees in their collection, punk fan or not.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Greatest Hits of Punk and New Wave [3CD Box Set] Box set

I only paid a few quid for this 3 disc package in a supermarket a few years ago, good compilation with some slightly more obscure offerings included

Mond

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts