PS3 video output since update

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I recently got the update for the PS3 and thought that was it. Yesterday however, when my kids switched the PS3 on to get their daily fix of their games, it started asking them questions regarding the video output setup. My tv is a Samsung 32" and I believe the best pciture I can get is 720p but the PS3 is recommending I use 1080i. My PS3 goes through the Onkyo 605 and then onto the tv via hdmi (perhaps obvious).

My question is this. Which is best? Should I set the PS3 to 720p or 1080i?

Thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Only you can decide! My PS3 recommends 1080i to me as well as it's higher on its list of supported resolutions, but I over rule it and use 1080p (even though the PS3 doesn't think it's supported) as it looks better. In your case, if you think 720p looks better, use this.

A

Anonymous

Thanks professorhat. I just wondered whether 720p is meant to be worse or better than 1080i. I will stick with the 720p I think unless anyone else has anything more enlightening.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks again.

Looks like the next thing to do is upgrade my TV to something huge with 1080p then...

A

Anonymous

Reading this thread tells me you gents will be able to answer this:

I am about to get a panasonic TH-42PZ85B (full HS plasma). I have Sky HD. I'd like to get a home cinema system as well but can only fit in a 2.1 and want to make sure the connectivity is good and to get the sound benefits for that as well as (in time) a PS3 or blu-ray.

I'm thinking about the Denon s102 or the Onkyo LS-V501. I see that the Denon doesn't have an HDMI input whereas the Onkyo does. On the other hand the Denon upscales to 1080p.

What i want to know is:

* should i have the HDMI input so as to route the PS3 or blu-ray by HDMI to the Home Cinema system? Or would that just go straight to the TV and the sound be connected by another way (eg optical)?

* does the upscaling to 1080p make the Denon a better choice for DVD's played through the DVD on the home cinema?

* do i hook up the Sky HD sound using an optical connection or is there a better way (eg the HDMI input - on Onkyo only)

I'm assuming i can't get a home cinema 2.1 that plays blu-ray and hence these have to be separate.

I'm really trying to decide which of these systems is best for me.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there

Unfortunately, the Onkyo's HDMI input does not accept sound so you wouldn't get any of the HD sound formats from your PS3 / BD player using this. The advantage it does has over the Denon though, is you can hook the PS3 into it along with an optical connection for sound and, when you choose the PS3 input on your amp, it will automatically switch the video for you. On the Denon, you'd have to hook the PS3 via optical to the Denon for sound and via HDMI to the TV for picture and switch them both to the correct input.

For around this money though, you could look at getting an Onkyo 605 amp, a pair of Q Acoustics 1010i speakers and the matching Q Acoustics 1000Si subwoofer. This will give you full HD sound compatibility and a very good sound system. It also allows you to expand easily to 5.1 in the future if you should ever choose to.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. The 605 is too big (high) to fit in the unit and there's no room elsewhere. I can get the Denon for £500 from Superfi. At that price is it good or should i look at the Onkyo LS-V501 (which would cost £580 elsewhere)? I'm aware this is the dr-s501 plus speakers but as the unit itself is £400 that doesn't leave much to add the speakers you refer to (which would take it to £800). Would that unit plus your speakers be worth £300 more. Assuming not which is better: the s102 (at £500) of Onkyo V501 (at £580).

Maybe i'm being swayed by the fact i can get the denon at £300 less than list.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah, fair enough then on the 605. Well, just saw this where they gave the Onkyo LS-V501 3 stars because of the included speakers, whereas just the unit got 4 stars. So, given that, I would go for the Onkyo plus some different speakers (you don't have to use the ones I advised but they would be £300 all together taking the total cost to £700 including subwoofer). Or of course the Denon (which doesn't have an optical input so you'd need an optical to coax converter if you got the PS3). Or the two other choices at the bottom of the review of the Onkyo above as well...

I have never heard any of them though so can't really comment on which would be best. Personally, if I had to go in blind, I'd lean to getting the Onkyo and some decent stereo speakers, then partner that with a decent sub once I had the extra money. But that's just me!

TRENDING THREADS