admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
does anyone reckon even with sacd on a ps3 that sacd playback could be better than a dedicated cd player of maybe.200 quid. is it worth me buying sacds for my ps3 or just use a better cd [player. i just cant imagine that a ps3 could be great at dvd blu-ray and cd and sacd with all the other functions and gaming all for 400quid. any views???

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well the PS3 certainly sucks with CD! It's not bad (for the money) with SACDs, actually, but still nothing to get excited about - especially considering how limited your discs choices are (not to mention pricey). If you've got an existing SACD collection it could be handy, but that's about it, IMHO.

A dedicated CD player will give you better stereo performance - even a budget belter like the NAD C515BEE (£165) would better the PS3 with CDs.

A

Anonymous

cheers clare, im using a philips cdr796. is that a decent payer in your opinion at budget level, though the naim in this months mag tempts me or maybe a cyrus

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]To be fair I think Clares comment is harsh. The PS3 isn't that bad at all as a standalone CD player, and has been improved with a recent software upgrade, and 'bitmapping type 3' - which specifically aims to make CD/SACD playback even better...

Plus it sings very sweetly indeed with a cheap DAC upgrade. It's a very decent allrounder if you ask me.

I also wonder if What-Hifi's CD playback testing has been nothing more than a cursory test (in the safe knowledge that 'it will suck'?) - I hope not.[/quote]

Certainly not - we keep trying it regularly, but it's still exhibiting the poor timing issues that a lot of AV kit is sadly prone to. Interestingly, its replay of digital music files from the hard disk is more palatable.

A

Anonymous

wots a trotter???? and clare could you respond to my q? above

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vernonkay1984"]clare could you respond to my q? above[/quote]
It's 8:45 on a Saturday evening.
Clare obviously has a quite remarkably tolerant husband, but there are limits! Please, give the girl a break! I'm sure she'll get back to you really soon, but like most of us I expect she does have a life outside of work. Could we allow her to enjoy some of it perhaps? And I'm really not trying to be arsey, but I think that we sometimes perhaps take a little for granted what is actually freely given outside of peoples work time.

A

Anonymous

To which may I add that the habit of addressing questions directly to the editorial team seems to go somewhat against the spirit of a forum. (That's a general comment, rather than one directed at the poster of this thread.) The staff clearly chip in when they have time / have an opinion / have direct experience of a product, but there are other people out there that can help out too with expert advice.
Not me, unfortunately.... :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="vernonkay1984"]cheers clare, im using a philips cdr796. is that a decent payer in your opinion at budget level, though the naim in this months mag tempts me or maybe a cyrus[/quote]

I don't know your Philips CD recorder, i'm afraid, so can't judge it.

However, with the kit you've got, the Naim and Cyrus options would be over-egging it - something like the NAD I mentioned, or Marantz's CD6002 (£270), would be fine,

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jimwall"][quote user="vernonkay1984"]clare could you respond to my q? above[/quote]

It's 8:45 on a Saturday evening.

Clare obviously has a quite remarkably tolerant husband, but there are limits! Please, give the girl a break! I'm sure she'll get back to you really soon, but like most of us I expect she does have a life outside of work. Could we allow her to enjoy some of it perhaps? And I'm really not trying to be arsey, but I think that we sometimes perhaps take a little for granted what is actually freely given outside of peoples work time.[/quote]

You've been talking to my husband, then!? (He's just cueing up the next movie, so i'm sneaking on to see how you all are...)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]

The replay of pre-ripped is better than CD (but then I expect that to be the case anyway). But the cd is certainly better than 'sucks'.

And by all accounts (I haven't tried it), the SACD is on a par with similar priced players (standalone)[/quote]

You may not have tried the PS3 against its standalone music competition (CD and SACD) but we have!

Please don't get too hung up on this - we love the PS3. It's an Award winner. I have one at home. Its firmware upgrades mean it's getting better all the time. But like the vast majority of budget/mid-price AV kit, it's no great shakes with music.

A

Anonymous

so why are you wastin your time speakin on here. ... and cheers by the way clare. enjoy the final hours of your weekend

A

Anonymous

haha no not you frog. u know ure stuff. ive chatted with u about mp3. ha

A

Anonymous

i was on about the guys whinging about askin clare, i got a q with you on another post. i thought your earlier response was quite valid mate.

A

Anonymous

ha . i hope the beer aint makin you look for a fight. ive been kicked off my 50inch panny so my wife can watch wife swap. boo, cant she go out for a bit too? i got shooter blu ray to watch- ps3 of course. i replied to you on another thread.-mp3. was wondering if you knew about mobile phone music.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="tractorboy"]To which may I add that the habit of addressing questions directly to the editorial team seems to go somewhat against the spirit of a forum. (That's a general comment, rather than one directed at the poster of this thread.) The staff clearly chip in when they have time / have an opinion / have direct experience of a product, but there are other people out there that can help out too with expert advice.
Not me, unfortunately.... :)

[/quote]

You're underselling yourself my cute little rabbit. When it comes to pounding and rythm ...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vernonkay1984"]so why are you wastin your time speakin on here. ... [/quote]
Good question. Thing is, I stumbled upon this site quite by accident, thinking it was some kind of consumer electronics / bodily functions fetish site...

[quote user="vernonkay1984"]the crazy thing was i had a pee leant forward to flush, at the exact moment i pulled the flush the phone dropped on the rim and as if to tease me went plop before i could grab it.[/quote]

...and I've been hooked ever since.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vernonkay1984"]i was on about the guys whinging about askin clare, i got a q with you on another post. i thought your earlier response was quite valid mate.[/quote]

Whinging? Nah, don't mind in the slightest. What's more I have a sneaking suspicion that if Clare or any of the other crew members found it irritating they're perfectly capable of saying so themselves, and with far more eloquence than I could ever muster.
I was just pointing out that at 8:45 on a Saturday evening you couldn't really expect an immediate response so hassling for an answer a mere 45 minutes after the prior post was a bit unnecessary. Probably wasn't your intention that it read like that however so fair enough. I was myself exceedingly tired and rather grumpy so my reading was probably not to be trusted.

A

Anonymous

if you look carefully, i posted the question then she replied but not to the question but something else, so iwasnt being impatient just redirecting attention to the post

A

Anonymous

Fair enough. As I said I was very tired grumpy at the time. Didn't mean to offend - I really did mean that I wasn't intending to be arsey, however arsey I was actually being :)

TRENDING THREADS